PDA

View Full Version : Cz 527 In .223...Thoughts?

Varmint Eviscerator
November 5, 2006, 09:35 PM
I love Cz's, but I have only experienced their RF lines. I really love the look, twist rate and price of the Cz 527 American in .223. However, before I get toooo excited, any thoughts? Experiences?
Thanks in advance!
-Chase

bennnn
November 5, 2006, 09:52 PM
Where ya been V.E.?
(joke joke joke) but this ain't no rimfire...! I've been thinking about an AK in
.223 but I'm more likely to buy an AR in 7.62x39 first.....
By the way, check your PM's...

Friiguy
November 5, 2006, 10:12 PM
CZ 527 in .223.... yep the one my father inlaw had was awesome. If I had the money I would have bought it.:(
Only issue I know of was the magazine or magazine release came apart once. Easy fix though.
Would shoot moa pretty easily with just about any ammo he put into it.

Deffinatly on my list to get.

Varmint Eviscerator
November 6, 2006, 11:27 AM
I have heard they shoot very well, however, with so many options I was wondering if you thought there was a better setup, or if the Cz can compete with the regulars IE savage,remington, weatherby, etc, etc.
Thanks
-Chase

Bill T
November 6, 2006, 01:41 PM
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/2460/cz527lux223riflefe0.jpg

This is my CZ 527 LUX in .223. I topped it with a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9X 40 MM in CZ Steel Rings. It's an OK performer but the rifle is a little too petite for my liking. The magazines feed poorly and scratch the cases badly, (common for CZ's in this caliber). Also, the magazines are way overpriced. All the magazines I have for the gun, (3), are all steel but I'm told the newer magazines are plastic. To be honest my wifes 3 Bushmaster AR-15's will shoot rings around it. The sling swivels are really cheap and not removeable. I wish they had just installed studs like every other maker. I just don't see what all the hooplah is about CZ. I will say the rifle is 100% blued steel and Walnut which is nice considering a lot of manufacturers are going to plastic and Aluminum. I gave the thing to my wife and she enjoys playing with it while her AR's cool down. I wouldn't sell it, but that said I doubt I would buy another. I think there are better bolt guns to be had in that caliber. Another thing is I will never get used to pushing triggers foward before pulling them. Bill T.

Varmint Eviscerator
November 6, 2006, 02:51 PM
What about Savage?
BTW I still have my heart set on a Cz, but i can be.... convinced otherwise :eek: ;)
I am not trying to be a nuisance...just looking for litle guidance here:o
-Chase

gr8gun
November 6, 2006, 04:24 PM
I was planning on getting a Stainless Tikka T3 Lite in .223. I have one in .308 and love it. Because of a deal I found, I ended out getting a Model Seven (a left-over model -- blued with the laminated stock and iron sights). I have no regrets, but I would definitely recommend the Tikka. Haven't had the chance to shoot the Seven yet, so I can't say one way or the other on that one.

Varmint Eviscerator
November 6, 2006, 04:33 PM
I hate tikka, the way they look is VERY unappealing to me!
-Chase

stinger
November 6, 2006, 08:25 PM
I've got a varmit model in .204. It will shoot nickle/dime 5 shot groups all day. Magazines don't feed particularly well, but I normally just single feed anyways.

BTW, I have a Leupold VX-3x9 on the rifle.

Stinger

grimjaw
November 6, 2006, 08:52 PM
I have the CZ 527 Varmint in .223, with the HS Precision stock. I'd prefer that they didn't use the spiderweb pattern on it, but it's a minor, cosmetic complaint.

I've only had mine out at the range once, using American Eagle 55gr FMJ and Winchester 62gr FMJ. I was able to get the rifle sighted in and grouping within 10 rounds. Mine must have a 1:9 twist. It's brand new and I didn't get any keyholing with the 62gr.

I had a little difficulty getting it to feed correctly from the magazine (I only have the one), and think that must be specific to certain calibers. I also have a CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39, and it feeds like a champ. No problems with extraction on either rifle. I have not had a problem with scratched up brass, but time will tell.

I'll have to wait to tell you how well it shoots, since I haven't put anything like match or hunting ammunition through it yet, and it was very windy on the day I took it out.

The CZ rimfire rifles are excellent guns for the money. There are few, if any, new centerfire rifles with set triggers that cost as little as the CZ 527 line. There are more accurate rifles out there, but they are probably going to cost more NIB.

jm

http://grimjaw.net/mig/albums/theboomgoesthere/longgun/2183a.jpg

Varmint Eviscerator
November 7, 2006, 12:38 PM
Well, what shoots better for how much more? I would like to know because my friends call me accuracy obsessed-that is quite an understatement. If it shoots .5 ctc 5shot groups at 100yrds, then I am happy!
-Chase

capnrik
November 7, 2006, 07:32 PM
I have to say that I am disappointed in mine. I have tried any number of handloads, and can't get anything consistent. One 3 shot group will go i nto .7 inch, and then the next group will go 1 1/2 inches. I also have trouble with the trigger set, but not consistently. Mine is topped with a Leupold 3X9....maybe I ought to drag it out again and try some more.:(

FirstFreedom
November 7, 2006, 11:37 PM
If I was gonna get yet another .223 with that budget, the 527 would be in the running, but the Howa varminter or Savage 12BV would probably win out. Add $150 to budget and I'd get Remington 700 instead.

http://www.snipercentral.com/howa.htm

essexcounty
November 8, 2006, 11:41 AM
Very pleased with mine. Accurate, well balanced and good quality. I bought it for varmit calling and I tossed a K4 on it...Essex

Varmint Eviscerator
November 8, 2006, 07:21 PM
I wont buy anything remington, it'd have to to be the last gun in a world of zombies, right along ruger.
-Chase

USNairman
November 16, 2006, 09:27 AM
I love my CZ 527 American in .223. I have many CZ's and love them all dearly. I always look to see if CZ makes a rifle in the caliber I'm wanting and if they do they always get my business. I love other makes too but I have a real soft spot for CZ firearms.

629 shooter
November 16, 2006, 12:11 PM
I love Cz's, but I have only experienced their RF lines.

I like the CZ rimfires too , I'll never trade or sell my CZ Special! But , when it comes to centerfire in .223 I have my Rem 700LTR and my Savage 12BVSS. The CZ Varmint like grimjaw has pictured above would be the CZ I would try if I were looking at one of their centerfire .223s.

My 20" 700LTR has given me the best groups I have ever fired @ 100 yards with reloads using match bullets.

Well, what shoots better for how much more? I would like to know because my friends call me accuracy obsessed-that is quite an understatement. If it shoots .5 ctc 5shot groups at 100yrds, then I am happy!

The Savage is excellent and an accuracy bargain! My 12BVSS is stainless , nice laminated stock and good out of the box trigger for under $600 - about$180 less than my Remington. The plainer Savage 12 versions with the plastic stock and blue can be had for around $450. If you are indeed accuracy obsessed and don't want to spend a lot of money the Savage line is worth taking a look at.

bobhwry
November 16, 2006, 06:15 PM
I discovered CZ rifles a couple of years ago and now own 6 of them and IMO they are the best value on the market today. I have a 527 Prestige in .223 and is the most accurate rifle I own, and I have a few that cost alot more. Try the CZ and you will be glad you did!

Varmint Eviscerator
November 16, 2006, 06:32 PM
Well, I have arrived at the same place I started...I am torn between Cz and Savage. They are both good deals and supposedly accurate to some degree. I have done some google searching and found varied reports,ranging from the cz being a tack driver,to some being so-so. Same reviews for savage as well. I guess in the end,as with most things, it is up to one to make decisions for one:rolleyes: :o However,it is best to make an informed one at that ;)
-Chase

USNairman
November 17, 2006, 11:03 AM
You will most likely find that in a few years the CZ will be worth much more than the Savage will be. The CZ's are growing in popularity and I believe they are an investment right now. Thats just my humble opinion though.