PDA

View Full Version : Do you put black pepper on your fresh venison?

Country
November 5, 2006, 12:08 AM
I once saw some Cajuns with several deer on a trailer in Llano, TX heading for Louisiana.

The deer were gutted and on the inside they had black pepper. They said it was to keep the flies off, which it does not.

When I skin my deer I take several good handfuls of black pepper and toss on the outside and inside of the deer. It smells so good and when you finish processing the meat I grind whatever pepper that remains into the meat.

Does anyone else do this?

banditt007
November 5, 2006, 12:26 AM
i've heard of others doing this to different kinds of big game, deer/hogs ect. I thought i remember hearing that it keeps the flies off too? :confused:

I'd like to know if there is any use for the black pepper bath right in the field. Or if it is just an old wives tale.

Country
November 5, 2006, 12:33 AM
I have two coolers of venison chilling and draining with pepper.
I like the smell after you finish dressing the deer and the taste later.

38splfan
November 5, 2006, 12:40 AM
I've never done pepper in the feild like that, but I do put pepper on fresh meat that is to be ground or smoked. I actually have a big jar pre-mixed with my favorite seasonings so I can put the stuff on like a rub before processing or smoking. Usually do it right after I have rinsed the meat.

makmak
November 5, 2006, 12:44 AM
And I can't exactly go and get a deer burger either...

FrontSight
November 6, 2006, 01:42 PM
Don't do it, as it's usually cold where/when I hunt, but I have heard it works great!