PDA

View Full Version : 7 year olds rifle/shotgun

Trapp
October 26, 2006, 05:32 PM
OK, I was set on getting him a 410 for x-mas. Now I am undecided. I used my first gun (20 guage stevens single shot) until I was rearended and it snapped in half. I would still be using it now if it wasn't for that. I was nine when I got it. I want to get my 7 year old a rifle or shotgun for x-mas. I also want it to be something he could use for a long time.......not just a safe queen, until he can pass it on too his kids.

Suggestions?

P.S. I want im to be able to take a deer this year.... (small florida deer)

Maser
October 26, 2006, 10:02 PM
A .410 may seem like a great shotgun to start a kid off with, but it really isn't. The main thing a kid needs is practice, practice, and PRACTICE. .410 shells are way too over priced. I would recommend a youth Remington 870 in 20 gauge. The light target 20 gauge load recoils are very easily managable for kids.

As far as a rifle goes that can take small deer, I would say probly a inexpensive Savage rifle chambered in .243 or .25-06. Small bullet and managable recoil, but yet still strong enough to take small deer. If you feel your son can handle it then you may want to try a .308. It's hard to say because you know your son better than anyone else here.

lil_bro
October 26, 2006, 10:07 PM
I'll take a look at the combos that Rossi has I've heard that they are pretty good and can be found pretty cheap.

http://www.rossiusa.com/products/products-matchedpairs.cfm

Michael.

Northern Sod Breaker
October 26, 2006, 10:49 PM
I think a 20 gauge youth model pump in the brand of your choice is the best bet. I've read several reviews and it makes sence to me. The bigger gauge will have more pellets and a better chance of hitting a target. The smaller gauges have less pellets and are harder to hit a target with. If a kid cannot hit a target he/she will become frustrated and give up. But don't take it to the other extreme and buy him a 10 gauge. A 20 gauge is a happy medium. Don't buy a break open either. If he is already skilled in proper firearms handling (with a .22 preferably) a 20 gauge semi might be a fair choice if you can swing the cost. If this is his first firearm him a .22. If he has not yet had a .22 and you get him a centerfire rifle or a shotgun you will be causing problems later on.