PDA

View Full Version : Kahr for CCW?

smoothpull
October 17, 2006, 10:37 AM
Anyone have experience with any of Kahr's products for CCW? Have seen the .40 and .45 nice looking light weight guns, very small frame. Considering a purchase of either caliber. The non-polymer versions look nice but not sure about the weight. Anyone know about the reliability or CS? Thanks.

PointOneSeven
October 17, 2006, 11:20 AM
Don't own one, but I am impressed with the way they shoot. I wouldn't hesitate to carry one, they're perfect for a ccw. They don't get a whole lot of love around here though, they're overshadowed by the bigger players.

obiwan1
October 17, 2006, 01:00 PM
I love my K40. It's a little heavy for the size, but not unmanageably in a good holster. You'll appreciate the weight when you shoot it! It's less than my USPc.40. :D

SOG/MACV
October 17, 2006, 01:16 PM
I have a T-9 and it's great. A bit heavy but surprisingly accurate for it's size. I have no problem carrying it as my ccw.

Huntergirl
October 17, 2006, 01:26 PM
They sure seem well made and they hold a good resale value too. I noticed awhile back, they're very popular on the CZ forum.

fairview mick
October 17, 2006, 06:36 PM
I bought a PT 9 for back up. I carry in my pocket when wearing loose jeans or anything but tight Levis. I've shot about 300 rounds through it. Great little gun. Does have some recoil, but it's not a target pistol that you will shoot alot from.
Mickey

Double Naught Spy
October 17, 2006, 07:19 PM
I seem to recall that if you use the SEARCH button and use terms like KAHR and RELIABILITY or PROBLEM that you will learn quite a bit.

orionengnr
October 17, 2006, 07:28 PM
I have a PM9 and a P45.

My PM9 allowed me to sell about four S&W j-frames. It is my "always" gun.

My P45 has likewise been perfect. It is my "all-winter" gun. Of course, down here, winter can be three weeks or three months, depending on how you define it.

That said, I am currently carrying my P45.

Read the threads on Kahr reliablity--I have and do.

For the vast majority, the pistol was 4.0 to begin with. For a small minority, they had problems. For the vast majority of those that had problems, Kahr has been stand-up about fixing it.

I almost let those vocal nay-sayers deprive me of a great CCW pistol...er, make that two great CCW pistols..

'75Scout
October 17, 2006, 09:51 PM
I purchased a used Kahr PM40. I wanted the PM9 because it adds 1 additional round and is a little smaller/lighter, but the price was right. I put about 150 rounds through it and had a FTF about once every 5 round mag. So I sent it back. It was completely free and apparently they fixed to problem. I put probably another 400 rounds through it and it was almost completely 100% reliable. Some good things about the Kahrs is I really like the trigger and there aren't many other guns that pack as much power is such a small package.

But I found some other things I didn't like. I started to see gouges on the inside of the dust cover. I'm guessing it was from the recoil spring assembly. From day one I saw roughly finished edges along the frame rails and I didn't like that either. Also after spending alot of trigger time with Sigs I started to prefer all metal guns and decided to sell mine. I made one call to a friend who is a DPS officer and sold it for $400.00. I'm saving for a Rohrbaugh R9 right now.

FirstFreedom
October 17, 2006, 11:00 PM
MK9 + Smartcarry holster = Good "always" rig.

grimjaw
October 17, 2006, 11:22 PM
I have a K9 that I'm selling mainly because I changed to a SIG 239. The Kahr is easier to conceal and grip is slightly smaller. I have small hands and I always liked that about the Kahr. I did not find the gun to be too heavy. I found the recoil from my chosen defense round (Remy Golden Sabers) to be very manageable. The stock sights were just as good as the SIG I have now. I did not have a FTF or FTE during the time I had mine, ~400 rounds. From a bench, it was consistently accurate.

I couldn't master the combination of short sight radius and revolver-like trigger. I'm selling it for the same reason that I sold a S&W 640: I haven't been able to master the trigger well enough. I really didn't want to part with the gun, but the SIG was calling my name after trying it out, and I don't have a need for two 9x19 carry pieces of practically the same size.

For someone who shoots it well, I think the steel-framed Kahrs are excellent carry pieces. I wouldn't say they are for everybody, though.

jm

Triple000
October 18, 2006, 04:49 PM
I just purchased a PM9 and love it. For now I am carrying it in a DeSantis IWB kydex hoster but have ordered a Tucker Tuckable for it. At 16 OZ it is a great CCW. It has less percieved recoil than the Glock 26 and is thinner. Although the Glock is a double stack. The sights actually work. Lifetime warranty and Made In The USofA. Need to run at least 200 hundred rounds through it to break it in.:)

Jiml3
October 19, 2006, 11:47 AM
I own a PM9 and am very happy with it. I have not had any problems with it!
It's a great conceal carry gun, flat and thin, but it's not suitable for pocket carry in jeans. Weight is 16 oz empty, add 6 rounds and it's more suitable for carry in an IWB kydex thin holster which I got from Fist holsters. It's very accurate and a smooth trigger.

Jiml3

atblis
October 19, 2006, 11:56 AM
Shared by others.

They seem ideal for carry, and that is what they are intended for. Slim, ergonomic, chambered in "real" calibers. The prices aren't outrageous. They feel good in the hand. The trigger is decent (not fabulous but workable). However, I can never seem to figure out if they are reliable/durable. Some people have them and have no problems at all. Others have had to send them back multiple times. Some have managed to work out the bugs on their own. It seems Kahr has made some very good guns, and some not so good guns.

It is a ~$500 gamble. You used to be able to get the CW9 for $379.

Keltec is very similar, except they are ~$225. So it is a gamble, but a less costly one.

obiwan1
October 19, 2006, 12:15 PM
The common denominator in this is that we VERY SELDOM have any problems with the steel guns, but the polymer PM guns are sort of a crap shoot. From what I've seen you've got about a 95%+ probability of getting a good one.

XD Gunner
October 20, 2006, 09:21 AM
From what I can tell, its a cheaper made attack on the XD-line of SA guns....

Just spend 50.00 more and get the XD...

'75Scout
October 20, 2006, 11:28 AM
Kahr has been making their guns long before the XD line came out from Springfield Armory. IMO they are two different animals. XD is like Glock. They are not designed for concealed carry, but they can be carried and are very popular among CHL holders. The kahr line was desgined from the ground up for concealed carry and are less suitable as duty and combat sidearms.

Alerion
October 20, 2006, 02:53 PM
From what I can tell, its a cheaper made attack on the XD-line of SA guns....

Just spend 50.00 more and get the XD...

Unfortunately, the world doesn't revolve around XDs! :D

'75Scout pretty well covered it. Kahr's attack on XD must have been pre-emptive since they came out several years earlier than the XDs. And a cheaper attack at that... :confused: I take it you've never seen a Kahr other than a CW9 (an obvious attempt at a lower cost model that is in no way representative of the rest of the line.) For the most part, the quality on their all-metal guns is excellent and the polymer guns tend to be above average. Also, if you want any model Kahr other than the CW9 you're going to pay more for it than you will for an XD.

Actually I can't even imagine comparing a Kahr to an XD unless someone really didn't know what they were going to use their handgun for. They aren't going after anything near the same market segment. I mean I own both a K40 Elite and an XD-40 but I never even thought about comparing them head-to-head. Now XD-40 vs. M&P 40 vs. Glock 22 might be a fair fight but Kahr is in a completely different class. Not a better class or a worse class, just a different class.

Tom

Impreza
October 20, 2006, 06:08 PM
triple000

Kahr has 5 year warranty not a lifetime warranty as some others do.

Redneckrepairs
October 20, 2006, 06:39 PM
I own a p9 , and a pm9 Both are fine little pistols . I am currently considering a p45 that a friend is thinking about selling , seems he cant fit into any of his 4 gunsafes lol .

orionengnr
October 20, 2006, 07:16 PM
I own a PM9 and am very happy with it. I have not had any problems with it! It's a great conceal carry gun, flat and thin, but it's not suitable for pocket carry in jeans. Weight is 16 oz empty, add 6 rounds and it's more suitable for carry in an IWB kydex thin holster which I got from Fist holsters. It's very accurate and a smooth trigger.

1. I pocket carry my PM9 year round in jeans or shorts, and I am 145 pounds with a 30" waist, so I don't have a huge pocket to start with. (Hell, in winter I carry my P45 in the same $15 DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster... also fits J-frame S&Ws and 3" 1911s, BTW).

2. Weight of the PM9 is 14.5 oz empty; the P45 is 17.5 empty. Sold my 12 oz .357 S&W 340PD after shooting and carrying the Kahr PM9.

3. Comparing it to any Glock is a non-starter. Even the smallest Glocks are FAT little bricks. Yes, I currently own one (G-23), have owned others and may own more in the future. They are NOT pocket pistols.

denfoote
October 21, 2006, 05:54 AM
I carry a MK9 Elite 98 in a DeSantis Mini Slide.

jlh26oo
October 21, 2006, 06:48 AM
1. I pocket carry my PM9 year round in jeans or shorts, and I am 145 pounds with a 30" waist, so I don't have a huge pocket to start with. (Hell, in winter I carry my P45 in the same $15 DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster... also fits J-frame S&Ws and 3" 1911s, BTW).

2. Weight of the PM9 is 14.5 oz empty; the P45 is 17.5 empty. Sold my 12 oz .357 S&W 340PD after shooting and carrying the Kahr PM9.

3. Comparing it to any Glock is a non-starter. Even the smallest Glocks are FAT little bricks. Yes, I currently own one (G-23), have owned others and may own more in the future. They are NOT pocket pistols.

LOL@ you negating a claim that pm9 is not pocketable (in fact, even the kahr .45acp is possible); but then go on to declare the next step up in size is definitively "NOT" pocketable. LOL! You realize there are those who not only pocket a g26, but also a G36?!

BTW keep in mind the ~6,000 round life expectancy of the pm9- of course there are those who will hold up way beyond that (and have 0 failures too lol). Unfortunately, I didn't learn this until AFTER I purchased. :barf: I don't need a gun that's designed to be "carried alot, shot a little", ymmv.

pocketgun
October 21, 2006, 07:06 AM
Seems to me that what is pocketable and what you can stuff in your pocket are actually two different things. Getting it in is not really so hard. Getting it out in a hurry with the grip properly aligned is the hard part.

A mugger killling his next victim with the fat pistol he pried out of your dead hand and overstuffed pocket is just adding insult to injury. Whatever one decides to pocket carry, best practice your draw in advance and be certain it is easily done.

jlh26oo
October 21, 2006, 07:19 AM
Seems to me that what is pocketable and what you can stuff in your pocket are actually two different things.

Agreed. I would assume anyone would consider that criteria in determining what is or is not pocketable for themselves. It's probably why Jim said the PM9 is not (for him), and is for Orion, but not anything bigger.

Do you ever pocket your g29 btw pg?

pocketgun
October 21, 2006, 04:07 PM
No, I have never pocketed the G29. Even in cargo shorts it would print "Glock" all over the place. Reaching in and grabbing the grip, then trying to pull my hand out with the pistol in it is not somethng I could do successfully, even if it remained properly positioned to grab in the first place. A pocket holster would help with the printing and positioning, but add to the thickness.

The loaded weight of the G29 would likely be pretty uncomfortable for me dragging my pocket down.

Glockamolie
October 21, 2006, 08:49 PM
I have a CW9 that has been reliable, with about 500 rounds through it. The very first shot was a stovepipe, but that was the only problem. I've shot WWB, S&B, gun show reloads, Monarch, and some Corbons. I absolutely love mine. I can pocket carry mine in a limited number of cargo pants/shorts. I'd love to keep this one and get a PM9. I don't think there would be any problem with pocket carry with a PM9 in maybe 80% of pockets out there.