PDA

View Full Version : Using lead from salvaged jacketed bullets?

Swan Hunter
October 16, 2006, 08:41 AM
A friend of mine likes to dig used bullets out of the range berm in off hours. He is wondering if it would be ok to use the lead from jacketed bullets to make bullets for his bp guns.

I would assume it is pretty much pure soft lead.

Anyone know?

Thanks

Jim Watson
October 16, 2006, 11:39 AM
Most jacketed bullet cores contain at least some antimony although some are dead soft pure lead. Just what each brand wants their bullets to do and how they advertise.

When melting jacketed bullets, you must be sure that some lead is exposed. The plated or fully encapsulated ones can melt inside, build pressure, pop, and splash lead on you. A notch with a file edge is OK.

arcticap
October 16, 2006, 05:37 PM
I would only use impure lead to make bullets that will be fired with sabots. Even then, some of the bullets may be oversized and lighter than if they were cast from pure lead, depends on whether the mold specifications calls for pure lead or not. Is he casting using muzzle loading bullet molds? :rolleyes:

Swan Hunter
October 16, 2006, 07:53 PM
He is just concerned about the bullets being too hard.

Plastic Cowboy
October 18, 2006, 10:45 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you get the pot really hot and flux it really well you can skim the antimony off the top can't you?

Takes a little more work but if there is only a LITTLE antimony in the lead it might be practical.