PDA

View Full Version : Sig P220: 4.4" vs. 3.9"

Troy26
October 13, 2006, 08:01 PM
Is there really much difference between the two in terms of accuracy, recoil etc?

Axion
October 13, 2006, 08:09 PM
I've shot the 226 (4.4") and a 220(4.4") and own a 229(3.9"). I also shot them in the order they are listed. The first two were rentals I shot while I was trying to pick a gun. On the three consecutive trips to the range where I shot each of the listed guns for the first time my accuracy got better each time. Not because any of the guns were more or less accurate but because I got more accurate. So the moral of the story is, if you're new to guns like me (you are right) you'll be fine with either the 4.4" or the 3.9" sig and neither is going to hold you back untill you get much better.

fleshwound
October 13, 2006, 09:03 PM
I own several Sigs. The 220 is very accurate, in fact, the 226, 229, and 239 are all very accurate. Sigs (in my opinion) are one of the best defensive pistols out there. A little pricey, but the're claim to fame "to hell and back relibility" is an absolute fact. In general, accuracy for the novice shooter will always be achieved with the longer barrel. A great range gun is the 226 in 9mm. At 75 feet, 2 to 3" groups are easy to obtain, once you've practiced a bunch. My 239 .40 cal carry pistol has a much shorter barell, but still remains very accurate.
Hope this helps..

AK103K
October 13, 2006, 09:36 PM
SIG's are funny with their sizes. The full size and compacts are really not that much different, mostly just a half inch here or there.

I have P220's and a P245. All have been completely reliable, and very accurate. All are a pleasure to shoot. I have seen and handled the P220C and like it, but I dont see the need to buy one, since I have the others. If it had been around when I got the others, I'd have probably gone with it.

glockopop
October 13, 2006, 10:19 PM
Or, what about this?

http://sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=40&productid=157

BobK
October 14, 2006, 02:11 PM
Every Sig I have shot have been extremely accurate. That's why they are so popular.

Axion
October 14, 2006, 04:13 PM
Every Sig I have shot have been extremely accurate. That's why they are so popular.

When I first started researching guns I liked the what i heard about the XD and of course I liked the price so I went and shot one and it was, IMO, OK. Then the next time out I shot a 226 in .40 and was absolutely amazed at how much more accurate I was with it and how much better it fit my hand. At that point I new I was getting a sig.