PDA

View Full Version : Is the Beretta 21A and the Beretta Bobcat the same gun?

Tony Lagio
October 10, 2006, 12:14 PM
I want to buy a second magazine for the little lady's Beretta .25 Model 21A. I'm looking at Midway's online site and I see Beretta .25 Bobcat magazines advertised. I'm reasonably sure they're the same gun but want to make sure before I go ahead and buy one. Any Beretta experts around?

Qwiks draw
October 10, 2006, 01:11 PM
Both the .22 long rifle and the .25ACP are Bobcat models. Caliber is basically the only difference. Either caliber would serve well. Magazines between calibers are not interchangeable. These make nice backup or fun plinkers. Specify .25ACP when ordering. Some will say that the .25ACP is the way to go due to possible rimfire misfires. I have a Taurus PT22 and have not seen this problem. It may very well happen with others though. Both are not the first choice for defense,but many rely on small caliber pistols for defense. There are many horror stories about inadequacy of the small calibers and there are many substantiated cases of police and citzens saving their live and others with "mouse guns" Mas Ayoob has an excellent article in Combat Handguns Magazine on this issue. Both good and bad. Mostly good. Both the pros and cons are in the article. One poster here used the article to denigrate small calibers by sighting the one bad instance,but overlooked the good substantiated part of the article. Good luck.

Tony Lagio
October 10, 2006, 02:37 PM
Hi Qwiks draw. I did see that both the .22 and the .25 are Bobcat models and my lady friend's gun is a .25. I choose the .25 for her to avoid any possible .22 rimfire misfires. And I choose the small caliber for her deliberately as it was the only way I could get someone so afraid of my larger calibers, to carry a gun. Better small than nothing and I saw that thread denigrating the smaller rounds and thought most of the posts were simply silly. I do hope to get her up to a .38 Special in time though.

However, her pistol is marked, Model 21A and my question was, "Is the 21A the same gun as the Bobcat, or is it another Beretta .25 altogether?"

Thanks for the response.

postal1911
October 10, 2006, 03:03 PM
they r both bobcats....the double action version of that pistol is called the bob cat, both in 25acp and 22lr
there is a differnt pistol, the 950 jetfire, which looks the same but has a different single action trigger.
they r great pistols...alll of them

Stiofan
October 10, 2006, 03:10 PM
The Beretta 21A is a Bobcat (http://www.beretta.com/index.aspx?m=74&idc=2&ids=14), made in .22lr and .25 cal. Beretta also makes a similar .25 auto known as the 950 Jetfire. If you have the 21A it is the Bobcat model and not the Jetfire.

They also make a .32 called the Tomcat, a .380 called the Cheetah and a small frame in 9mm, .40 and .45 called the Cougar.

postal1911
October 10, 2006, 03:13 PM
Stiofan

jinx

Tom2
October 10, 2006, 03:16 PM
I had the 25 in both the SA and DA versions. The SA liked both the ball ammo and the little hollow points that are shorter than the ball cartridges. And they are alot faster, too. But something was dimensionally different about the DA version. It would not feed the HP ammo at all. They just jammed on the ramp. Looked like there was more of a gap for the round to jump in that version. So I no longer have either one. Traded the SA for the DA, and that was that. Keep the ammo choices in mind. I would think the faster HP rounds would give that cartridge a little help that it needs. I used the Hornady but I see others are loading a HP for 25 acp now. And there is that weird Winchester lead HP bullet with the steel ball in the tip, to make it feed better. I guess they expand a little, but are not all that impressive to me.

Tony Lagio
October 10, 2006, 03:57 PM
Thank you postal1911 and Stiofan, I can see now for certain that we have a Bobcat here and my lady friend is delighted with the "cute" name. And I can now go ahead and get that extra magazine for her... it only came with one.

Tom2, thank you too and also for that very useful info re the ammo. I did start her out with Glassers but on reflection decided to put her on FMJs. The less that can/might go wrong the better and I'm sure these will not only feed the most reliably, but that they will have the deepest penetration. For this round that would be in my opinion the first choice. I feel this way because hollow points need to get through clothing first and this will slow them down to an unacceptable fps.

Well, I had to start somewhere and I feel I have made considerable strides thus far. I'll be glad when I can get her a nice little Smith .38 and this will come in time. In the meantime I'm real happy that she has something. ;)

Qwiks draw
October 12, 2006, 12:09 AM
Tony, Don't forget that Ruger and others make .32 magnums that can shoot .32S&W Longs or others if need be. They come with 3 or 4 inch barrels. Would be less recoil than a 38, but have better terminal ballistics than a .32ACP and be on par with the.380ACP. Or slightly better than the 380. Just a thought.

Tony Lagio
October 15, 2006, 08:20 PM
"Tony, Don't forget that Ruger and others make .32 magnums that can shoot .32S&W Longs or others if need be. They come with 3 or 4 inch barrels. Would be less recoil than a 38, but have better terminal ballistics than a .32ACP and be on par with the.380ACP. Or slightly better than the 380. Just a thought."

Hmm, yes. Quiks draw I did a lot of reading up on these some years ago but they went out of my mind. You do very much have a point, and I just may go back and look them over again. I can see a psychological advantage here and it can be built on. Thanks for the tip. :D

Qwiks draw
October 16, 2006, 12:32 AM
Tony, You would do the same for anyone else. Good luck.

Luis
May 8, 2010, 07:50 PM
SORRY wrong place