PDA

View Full Version : Beretta PX4 Storm after 2,000 rounds- my review

MichaelScott
October 10, 2006, 11:49 AM
Hey guys. I purchased a PX4 9mm a few months ago and have been going to the range every week to put a few hundred rounds through it. I have put around 2,000 rounds through it at this point and I wanted to write a review about the great things about the gun… and the not so great things about it.

First let me give you a little description of my shooting background.
I’ve only been shooting for about 6 months. I’ve shot a few Sigs, some revolvers, my father’s Berretta M9, some Glocks, and a Ruger 9mm. I try to hit the range every week to shoot at least 300 rounds- but I do not claim to be any sort of expert shooter- just a guy interested in learning how to shoot for defense and hobby purposes.

When I made the purchase of the PX4 I was deciding between the Berretta M9 and Sig P-226. I ended up going with the PX4 because it came cheaper then the above two models but it had more “out of the box” features.

I also thought the gun would be great for my wife as well as for me. The rotating barrel recoil compensation system, the light plastic frame, the exchangeable back strap, made me think that the gun would be a better choice for my wife then the M9 and P-226.

The great things about the gun:

1) The gun is really easy to take apart. It disassembles in less then 2 seconds (for real) into 4 pieces. The spring is contained within the rod so you don’t have to worry about something accidentally flying across the room.
2) There is almost no recoil when shooting. It is super easy to re-acquire the target. The wife likes shooting it because it doesn’t fight with her.
3) I’m a huge fan of the three dot low light sights. For the other guns I was looking at this was an additional cost. The PX4 came with them.

The not so great things about the gun:

1) The grip comfort is alright but not even close to a set of Hogue grips that can be attached to most metal guns. The back part of the grip area is really abrasive and I find it annoying the palms of my hand after shooting for extended periods of time. It’s not a huge deal but I think Beretta should come up with some softer rubber grip back straps for the gun.
2) I can’t seem to get the accuracy out of it that I want. I’ve A-B ‘ed it next to 4 other guns of various makes. Every other gun I shoot WAY better then the PX4. Not to say that the PX4 is inaccurate- just that I get much tighter groups on a more consistent basis with other guns.
I think that it has something to do with the barrel length. The PX4 is only a 3 inch barrel while most of the other guns I’ve shot are closer to 5 inch. Maybe some of you will think that the barrel length doesn’t matter. But the PX4 has so much else going for it that the barrel length seems to be the only thing it falls short on. I’ve also had a few other people A B test out the gun and they run into the same accuracy problems. Again, I want to say that the gun is not inaccurate. If I knew I was going to be involved in a shoot out I could trust myself and the gun to hit a head sized target at 25 yards. The PX4 just isn’t as accurate as the other comparable guns out there that one could buy.

So I guess I should say that I have mixed feelings about the gun. It gets a lot of stuff really right but it falls short on a key area. I’d still recommend it for people looking for a light/compact pistol. Its fun to shoot and it is even fun to clean! But I think I have been concentrating on target practice so much that I want something for accuracy first and ease of carry/use second. Guess this means I should buy another gun… oh darn.

RevolverLover
October 10, 2006, 12:01 PM
[Quote deleted from preceding post by original poster also deleted here by moderator.]

Any magazine with more than 10rds is illegal in CA.

[Edited by Mal H]

BoneDigger
October 10, 2006, 12:27 PM
Nice writeup, thanks for the information. I presently own the PX4 9mm and have found it to be a fine shooting gun, with good accuracy. I am no expert shooter, but I consistently get better groups with the PX4 than I have with any other handgun.

I am thinking of upgrading to the .40 caliber soon.

Could your dislike of the grips be causing your lack of accuracy? If not, then you may want to send it to Beretta and have them look into the issue. Also, check with the people over at www.berettaforum.net and see what they have to say. Have you tried different ammo. Some guns can be picky that way...

Todd

zukiphile
October 10, 2006, 12:37 PM
1) The grip comfort is alright but not even close to a set of Hogue grips that can be attached to most metal guns. The back part of the grip area is really abrasive and I find it annoying the palms of my hand after shooting for extended periods of time. It’s not a huge deal but I think Beretta should come up with some softer rubber grip back straps for the gun.

Try bicycle innertube on the grip.

Bud Helms
October 10, 2006, 04:46 PM
RevolverLover has a point. Let me expand from TFL's point of view. When you state on TFL the intent to commit an act that is unlawful, you put TFL and potentially everyone on this board at risk. What are we supposed to do fink you out to the authorities? We are from across the political spectrum here and God only knows the persuasions of the lurkers who read only and never even register. If you want to violate the laws of the state in which you reside, that's really your business, but don't come here and make an announcement. We don't want to know and we surely will not condone it. So I will respond to your stated intent to violate California law this way, "Don't do it."

MichaelScott
October 10, 2006, 05:37 PM
Hey guys.

I didn't realize that action would put members of this forum in jeopordy. I've edited the post to remove the offending line.

My apologies! :o

silver-bullet
October 10, 2006, 05:54 PM
The PX4 9mm has a 4" barrel, not a 3" barrel as stated in your initial post. Just wanted to clear that up.

Also, how is the reliability? You don't mention whether you've experienced any failures of any kind with the weapon.

Mark54g
October 10, 2006, 06:19 PM
From what I hear, the PX4 is very accurate. Before you go ahead and get rid of it, perhaps you should think about replacing the stock sights with something better.

Btw, if you are looking for another gun, look no further than the CZ series, or perhaps a Beretta 87 cheetah if you want to practice with some cheaper .22LR ammo.

Axion
October 10, 2006, 06:36 PM
Just so you know the PX4 barrel is 4" which is .1 longer then the sig 229 which I find to be as accurate as I can be. So I don't think barrel length is your problem.

Just a thought, is there maybe somthing about the trigger which doesn't suit you and effects your accuracy with the gun?

Kiel_Everett
October 10, 2006, 08:24 PM
You should also try using a Hogue grip on the PX4, they work on our plastics,too!:D I use one on my XD9

MichaelScott
October 11, 2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll look into a hogue grip for it. Although honestly, the grip only starts to really bug me after 300+ rounds through it.

I'd like to think it is me but a few other people who have shot it also feel that it isn't as accurate as other guns. It could just be my particular gun since I have never shot any other PX4's. If I had bad shooting form I would think it would carry over to the other guns I shoot. And I experiance great accuracy with every other gun I have fired.

I really think the sights are great on it- I don't think that they are the problem.

I read somewhere that it is a 3 inch barrel. I'll have to measure it when I have it appart tomorrow. Someone asked if I have had a missfire. Nope.

Maybe I'll make a movie and post it on youtube.

ghideon
October 11, 2006, 11:47 AM
Just to clarify regarding CA and 10 rnd mags.

If you had mags that were greater in capacity then 10rnd mags before the ban, you are fine. Doesn't the PX4 take standard 92 mags?

Mark54g
October 11, 2006, 03:19 PM
ghid,

No, the PX4 takes their own mags. There are conversion kits for the PX4 to use 92 mags. The Cx4 storm has a version that takes 92F mags, but that is the carbine version.

RevolverLover
October 11, 2006, 03:53 PM
If you had mags that were greater in capacity then 10rnd mags before the ban, you are fine.

True, but the PX4 takes their own magazines and it was made after the ban so its a no go :barf: