PDA

View Full Version : Whats your prefered Conceal Carry Gun?

blgoode
October 9, 2006, 02:40 PM
I am planning on trying to get my first CC wepon and take the class with that gun. Any recomendations on what gun to carry - This should be a fun thread.

I prefer autoloader and and partial to a SIG but am prepaired to look at other brands. HElp turn my head from getting another SIG

Wildalaska
October 9, 2006, 02:51 PM
Browning High Power

WildconsistentAlaska

FirstFreedom
October 9, 2006, 02:55 PM
If the search was working properly, a good search could turn up many many threads on the subject; some pretty recent even.

Since the search feature does not appear to be working (just checked again), still, I guess it wouldn't hurt to repeat the thread. Me,

CZ75 compact "PCR" and
Kahr MK9

Which Sig do you have, and why do you need another for CCW if you have a Sig? And if you do get another, why would you want something different from a Sig? Mere variety's sake, or is there something you don't like about the Sig...knowing that may help narrow it down.

Also, my view is that you need to know what your preferred MODE of carry is going to be, to find the best gun for that mode. Which of the following (one or more than one) ways will you be carrying?:

-OWB (BS or paddle)
-IWB, standard/non-tuckable (BS)
-IWB, tuckable (BS)
-Fanny pack or purse
-Belly band
-Smart Carry
-Pocket
-Ankle
-Other

And if your answer is OWB or an IWB, then which of the following: strong-side, cross-draw, or small of back?

Certain makes & sizes of guns are better for certain modes than others. For example, most peeps want a single-stack gun for an IWB (comfort reasons), since 2-stack guns tend to have thicker slides as well, but an OWB works fine with 2-stacks as well as 1-stacks. But not necessarily, because SOME 2-stacks, like a Hi-Power, are just as thin in the slide as 1-stacks, so....

Also, what calibers do you like? Are you open to any caliber, or are you set on one?

Also, do you like revolvers at all?

Also, in auto pistols, do you have a preferred type of trigger (SAO, DA/SA, true DAO, pre-sprung DAO), or are you open to any?

Also, are you going to actually wear/carry a backup mag or speedloader pouch? If so, that may gravitate you toward a revolver, since having an extra speedloader will roughly approximate the number of rounds on hand as a 2-stack auto pistol (without extra mag), making up for the low-cap of a revolver, should you feel that that is an issue.

tydephan
October 9, 2006, 03:00 PM
The two CCW guns that I typically carrry are the:

Glock 26 (9mm)
and
Sig P230 (.380)

I shoot a lot better with the G26, so it is the one that I carry the most.

threegun
October 9, 2006, 03:05 PM
Glock 23 sometimes the G27 and also the Kel-Tec P32. The P-32 with very rare occasions is a back up.

stephen426
October 9, 2006, 03:10 PM
I carry a Glock 26. I used to carry a Sig P228, but it is a little on the big side for me (5'7" 160 lbs.). Besides that, I really like the consistent trigger pull of the Glock. The Sig's single action trigger is better, but you can't carry it that way (unless you don't value your health). I have grown used to the Glock's trigger and am very accurate with it even though it is a sub compact. The newer Sigs have stainless slides, but the P228 had a blued slide. While I kept the P228 well oiled, I don't have to worry about the Glock at all.

Don't get me wrong. Sigs are excellent weapons. My mom has a P230 and a good friend of mine has a P232. They are very easy to conceal and very easy to control, even under rapid fire. It is a weaker caliber though (.380 acp compared to 9 for the Glock 26 and .40 S&W for the Glock 27). Size wise I also think the sub-compact Glocks are better than the Sig P239s.

My main reasons for the Glock though have to be the consistent trigger pull, the corrosion resistance, and the ammo capacity given the size.

One other thing to consider is that you might want to mix up your collection. Take a look at my sig lines. I have quite a few different brands and calibers. Variety is the spice of life. Just be sure to practice the most with what you carry to ensure you develop muscle memory with that gun.

10milg29
October 9, 2006, 03:22 PM
My primary carry piece is my Glock 30 with my Glock 29 being carried on days I feel froggy.

Ranger 230gr +P in the 30 and DT 180gr gold dot in the 29.

I carry it in a FIST Kydex holster.

I reccomend the 30 as it is small, reliable as all hell, and accurate. I was shocked how accurate it was the first time I shot it.

blgoode
October 9, 2006, 03:50 PM
I have a SIG 226 so its a little big as an EDC type gun.
I feel that I like SIGS TOOOO much so I am opion to other brands to get away from my SIG snobbynes:D

HOWEVER! I love the fact that the 226 is a DA and SA with no saftly BUT now that I have kids I hate to have a gun that may go on trips with us WITHOUT a safety. With that said the best safety is a watchfull eye and educated kids by yours truly.

As far as carry I would probrably get a paddle type holster to slip on and off AND a behind the back type.

Can you recomend a round may be a better question;)

Syntax360
October 9, 2006, 04:01 PM
I carry my Steyr M9A1 most of the time in a Blade-Tech UCH.

If I'm pocket carrying, it's usually my Taurus 651SS .357, though sometimes my Bersa Thunder .380.

shield20
October 9, 2006, 04:08 PM
I am thinking(hoping) my new P99c will turn out to make a great CCW. In 9mm it should be a light, compact, accurate, consistent and reliable shooter, which will also be comparativley easy to conceal.

OJ
October 9, 2006, 04:09 PM
This question will probably net you as many answers as there are members here. However, here's mine FWIW.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/HANDGUNS/71B45ACP2A.jpg

Colt's MKIV/Series 70 Government Model 45 ACP (New issue - I alternate with an original but they are identical in function)

:D :D

cpaspr
October 9, 2006, 04:11 PM
I'd say to stay with what you know. A Sig w/o a safety. Kids or not, it's your job to maintain control over the gun at all times. As a carry gun, adding a safety when you're not used to one could seriously screw you up if you're not absolutely used to it (read: get you killed). The kids should be a non-factor, if you maintain proper control at all times. If necessary, that may mean lock it up.

Take a look at the P239. Dehorned if you can find one. Mine's in .40 S&W (non de-horned). Small enough to hide well, controls you're used to, heavy enough to absorb recoil (mine weighs 33 oz loaded w/ 8-180 gr hollow points).

rellascout
October 9, 2006, 04:14 PM
Sig P228 in VMII

or

Dan Wesson Bobtail 45 ACP in Galco OWB

autopsytech
October 9, 2006, 04:25 PM
Depending on the situation, Ruger P345 with one in the chamber and safety on,or Hi-Power with detective slide cocked and locked, or Bulgarian Makarov with one in the chamber and safety on.:p

PSP
October 9, 2006, 04:30 PM
I carry a Seecamp LWS32 in my pocket or OWB in a KDHolsters Mini Belt Defender or a Sig 232 OWB in a Galco Fletch. They suit my needs very well and are easy to conceal.

springmom
October 9, 2006, 04:36 PM
Kimber Ultra Carry II, in .45

Springmom

18DAI
October 9, 2006, 04:53 PM
I prefer to carry my HK USPF 40 everywhere. Sometimes due to weather/dress code, or social situation, it's not possible. Until I get the USP compact out of layaway, I use a S&W 3913, or 4516. Regards 18DAI.

cavediver27
October 9, 2006, 04:56 PM
I always have my Kel-Tec P3AT in my front pocket. When I 'feel the need' I carry my Ruger P97DC .45ACP. Both are completely reliable and have my complete trust.

chunk
October 9, 2006, 06:23 PM
M A K A R O V :d

hodaka
October 9, 2006, 06:27 PM
H&K P7 mostly but sometimes EG Makarov

brett30030
October 9, 2006, 08:49 PM
P3-AT here as a CCW.

Magyar
October 9, 2006, 09:00 PM
In the warm weather, a 9 or .40 in a Daewoo compact...

Greg Bell
October 9, 2006, 09:01 PM
If you like SIG, look into a SIG 239. It is very concealable, and available in 9, 40 and 357. I would get a 9mm, as ammo is cheap and will be easier to practice with.

Otherwise, you might get a Glock 26, and put in a NY trigger for safety. Perhaps a Walther P99c or a P2000SK? You really can't go wrong if you don't stray too far into the oddballs and antiques that everybody pushes.

axslingerW
October 9, 2006, 09:19 PM
At work: kel-tec p-11 in front pocket
Most other times: sw40ve IWB

I prefer no levers/manual safety--less to fuss with.

Neither would be my first choice for a target pistol, but both serve well at what they are designed for.

threefivesevenmag
October 9, 2006, 11:06 PM
Hot weather:

Smith & Wesson 642 or 640 depending on mood.

Cold weather:

1911 Government, Beretta 96FS, or Smith & Wesson 686 depending on mood.

saypek
October 10, 2006, 02:30 AM
Glock 26 neatly holstered in my Galco IWB.

SAG0282
October 10, 2006, 05:07 AM
I have a GLOCK 19 and a SIG Pro. The latter of those might be useful to you, as it has the same manual of arms the 226 does, but is somewhat smaller while still boasting the same mag capacity. Mine has been utterly flawless in it's 3 years of faithful service and I'll never part with it.

P97
October 10, 2006, 08:06 AM
I carry a Ruger P97.

rich52us
October 10, 2006, 08:26 AM
That's my daily carry that rides IW. I usually carry my P3AT as a BUG. If I can't carry IW, then my Kel-Tek P-11 becomes primary in the front pocket of Docker style pants.

ATW525
October 10, 2006, 08:31 AM
I've carried a variety of Sigs, Berettas and assorted other pistols. Recently however I've been enticed over to the darkside and have found the Glock 19 to be quite possibly the ideal carry gun. It offers a decent capacity, low bore axis, light weight, durable finish, consistant trigger and short reset... and all in a package smaller than a Sig P228.

bartonkj
October 10, 2006, 09:22 AM
I mostly carry my Taurus Millenium Pro PT145ss .45. When I need to be even more discreet I carry my Beretta Tomcat .32

FirstFreedom
October 10, 2006, 09:27 AM
I have a SIG 226 so its a little big as an EDC type gun.
I feel that I like SIGS TOOOO much so I am opion to other brands to get away from my SIG snobbynes

HOWEVER! I love the fact that the 226 is a DA and SA with no saftly BUT now that I have kids I hate to have a gun that may go on trips with us WITHOUT a safety. With that said the best safety is a watchfull eye and educated kids by yours truly.

As far as carry I would probrably get a paddle type holster to slip on and off AND a behind the back type.

Can you recomend a round may be a better question

OK, since you're looking for something different, as to both caliber and brand, and something a little smaller perhaps for CCW than Sig 226, and a manual safety, then that leads me think you oughtta get something in .45 acp. A compact (4" bbl) 1911 from Springfield, Colt, Kimber, Para, or whomever. Or maybe a Witness or Baby Eagle compact (combines the DA/SA that you like WITH a manual safety also). Or to go plastic, the HK USP compact, and the Taurus Millenium Pro have an external safety, and a DA/SA trigger as well.

Here's a gun that fits the description which I liked a lot, but sold in a money crunch:

The Kimber Compact CDP II (not the Pro or the Ultra, but "Compact"):

http://www.shootersshop.com/Kimber/compactcdp2.htm

CDP is custom defensive pistol with features like meltdown job, ambi safety, checkering, fancy grips, 2-tone, night sights, etc. However, it's pricey...

And if you get a 1911, you'll likely become a 1911 snob, instead of a Sig snob, so 6 of one, half dozen of the other... :)

Oh, and a good budget choice is the Bersa Thunder .45 compact. Great little gun for the money, by all accounts.

You might also want to check out the compact Beretta .45s, like the Cougar.

jcharisman
October 10, 2006, 11:19 AM
Sigma, in .40 S&W.

mbf5482
October 10, 2006, 11:43 AM
walther P99c 9mm is my CCW

Jiml3
October 10, 2006, 11:48 AM
In warm weather, a Kahr PM9, 9mm.
In cooler weather a CZ PCR, 9 mm.
In cold weather a Sig P229 in 40 S&W.

jiml3

halfcocked
October 10, 2006, 09:00 PM
I most often carry a Sig P226 in .357 or a Kimber Pro CDP. I carry the Sig in a SOB holster, usually in the spring/fall/winter and the Kimber in the summer in a IWB holster, up front. The Kimber is a little smaller and more comfortable with the IWB holster.

HorseSoldier
October 10, 2006, 09:40 PM
CZ P-01 is my current daily CCW. Shoots well, reliable, and small enough for CCW while not being so small I have a pinky hanging (got big hands and just don't care for subcompact sized pistols generally, even with finger rest mag extensions on them).

blgoode
October 10, 2006, 09:50 PM
thanks for the insight fellas :) I have been reading alot! Handles a Glock 26 today and it seems like good ergo's on a smaller gun! Still a tad thick bu that may just be me???

Quail Fat
October 10, 2006, 10:26 PM
http://members.cox.net/paulpendergraft/Quail%20Fats%20G30.JPG

Glock 30 with the shiny finish blasted off of it then parkerized.:)

Carry load is Federal 230g HST +P

I have added a smooth face trigger (serrated trigger in photo) and a 3.5 LWD disconnector.

My holster is a quilted ballistic nylon IWB by Shooting Systems.

Kas
October 10, 2006, 10:58 PM
Try handling an XD-9mm(compact),XDs fit my hands better and and are a much easier to shoot,than Glocks(like them/except for the "fat grips) for me.<My $.02s worth!

teejhot.40cal
October 10, 2006, 11:08 PM
I have both a sig and a glock. They are both very good carry guns but the glock get carried more because it is so much lighter.

tanksoldier
October 11, 2006, 12:39 AM
"Beware the man with one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Seen the quote around, don't know who said it first... but they're right.

If you like Sigs, go with it. You can have different size weapons for different situations, all with same manual of arms and similar characteristics.

I feel that I like SIGS TOOOO much so I am opion to other brands to get away from my SIG snobbynes

GreenFlash107
October 11, 2006, 05:44 PM
Go with what you are the most comfortable with. (what do you use the most?) There are so many nice choices out there, it's crazy. I carry a 9mm. Have for many years. Good luck.

blgoode
October 11, 2006, 06:46 PM
I handles the smaller sig all the way to the lightweight 32's and I think I actually liked the Glock 26 BETTER than the SIG 239 just in the weight alone!
Looks like I will try a glock down the road :)

hkenvy91
October 11, 2006, 07:06 PM
uspc45ss is my primary carry piece i would say hornady 45+p 230g tap fpd:D

Larry C.
October 11, 2006, 09:02 PM
Howdy,

Currently I lawfully carry concealed a Beretta 92FS here in Louisiana. This Sring I'll be tempted to switch to Beretta's knew Px4 storm in the same 9mm caliber, but made out of Polymer, and therefore lighter.
I like 9mm because it's cheap for training and target fun. Make sure to keep up with it's most effective loads, as this is still a "hot" caliber for the manufacturers competing against each other. Remember, only hits count in self-defense, and with 9mm solid torso hits are a must, unless you are good or lucky enough to hit your armed attacker in the head or perhaps the groin.
May neither of us ever have to do so! :)

Larry C.

Nephilim-777
October 12, 2006, 03:40 PM
My favorites are definitely 1911 Commanders. I also carry a Kahr PM9, and a G31. The Glock is the most difficult to carry because of its width, but is the least expensive to replace.

oldbillthundercheif
October 12, 2006, 04:14 PM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k223/zarganuts/Stechkin.jpg

link523
October 12, 2006, 05:05 PM
Taurus 650 SS .357 snubbie or Springfield xd subcompact 9mm

Ala Dan
October 13, 2006, 06:24 AM
My preferred carry piece is my 5" Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special 1911 .45ACP; but I find myself carrying my 3" Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II~!:D

45RackerTracker
October 13, 2006, 09:45 AM
Most of the time, I like my KelTec P3AT in the right front pocket, in an Uncle Mike's size 1 pocket holster, modified to hold an extra magazine. Sometimes, (cold weather) I also carry a Taurus PT145 Mil Pro OWB in a Fobus paddle holster. Just my taste for CCW.:)

blgoode
October 13, 2006, 01:02 PM
after a few trips to several gunshops I think I have it!!!

FIRST - get the SIG 26.....a good on is on sale but its the .40 caliber version and I feel this gun is designed around the 9mm cartridge.

THEN I will give a KELTEC a try after its been sanded down by myself so its less to jam. I understand this gun is meant for defence NOT target enjoyment HENCE the Glock 26 :D

That with my SIG 226 will leave me with only 2 calibers to purchase. besides the .22lr .223 and .41 mag :)

45RackerTracker
October 13, 2006, 04:22 PM
Say Goode, are you a gunsmith? If not, leave any work needed on the KelTec to them. KelTec, from what I hear has excellent customer service and will fix any problems you might have for free. I've heard their turnaround time is also very fast. I haven't had any jamming problems or other problems with my P3AT using ball or hollowpoint ammo of any brand I've tried. Just thought you would like to know that.:)

blgoode
October 14, 2006, 09:04 AM
All that seems to be needed is taking the gun apart and sanding down key elements to lessen the jamming factor. Tutlorial on thre net shows step by step and seemed to be surprizingly easy. I dont see why more guys arent fine tuning theres. Anything major.I aint touching!

Glockamolie
October 14, 2006, 01:27 PM
The traditional "fluff and buff" happens to a lot of Keltecs, whether they need it or not. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm very fond of my Kahr CW9 (cheapo P9). It's very easy to carry, and therefore I do. Other "carry" guns have proven to be too much of a hassle, and end up doing duty in the safe or in the car. My Kahr in a Sparks Watch Six is like heaven on the hip.

DonR101395
October 14, 2006, 03:49 PM
G19 carried appendix and 642 in pocket or appendix

StayCool
October 14, 2006, 07:10 PM
Like most CCW folks, I put a lot of thought into my present CCW choice. That choice will always be a compromise, in my book. It's caliber vs. capacity vs. weight vs. size and on and on.
After much thought and experimenting with revolvers and semi autos, I chose my present gun as meeting a wide range of needs the best:

The Springfield Armory XD9 sub-compact.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/xd-pistol/XD9801Large.jpg

I added a Pearse mag extention and use a basic nylon IWB holster.

I have ten rds of +P 9mm at hand and I am accurate with this XD and completely confident of it's functioning each time I draw it.

45RackerTracker
October 14, 2006, 07:25 PM
StayCool, welcome aboard. I was looking at the XD series of pistols and I'm inclined to agree with you, they're great pistols. I was leaning more to the XD45, but got the Taurus PT145 Mil Pro instead. I love 45s if for no other reason than I just do. I can pick one up and after a few shots get the feel of it and bango I'm rippin em thru the same hole. I like the extra capacity of the Mil Pro. When I first shot it, I wasn't happy but after a few rounds I was shooting it like a pro. then I got cocky. I took my Firestar M45 in my left and the Mil Pro in the right and alternately shot each one and at combat range (about 7yds.) I put all my shots into a 8x11 paper. My wife thought I was crazy when she saw what I was doing and all I could do was grin from ear to ear.:D

User14
October 14, 2006, 07:36 PM
Keltec .380 auto. A gun that is not with you is not an ideal gun!

aspen1964
October 14, 2006, 08:01 PM
I thought of several models..and I chose a Colt 1903 32 automatic...I do not need a large caliber for a pocket gun...and I appreciate the smooth, slick drawing of the Colt Hammerless...I have shot 12 oz. guns and they feel rather terrible in hand shock when shooting, I want a gun I enjoy practicing with... snub revolvers make an excellent concealed holster gun but not so good when drawing from
a jacket pocket...and as a final bonus, the Colt 32 is far better-looking than most modern pocket guns...

TBT
October 14, 2006, 08:05 PM
I've long carried 3" 1911 but have decided to go again with the G19. About the same size and everything with a lot higher capacity. I've really begun to like the 9mm again with its current loadings.

Right now I carry it in a DeSantis IWB holster but am looking at other options as far as that goes. Nice holster, just looking for something with a "cant".

tegemu
October 14, 2006, 09:31 PM
A Bobtailed Smith & Wesson Scandium Commander. You can see it at www.ontargetcgw.com , select "1911 Gallery," then select "Smith & Wesson Bobtail."