PDA

View Full Version : Hard Chrome G22?

Half-Price Assassin
October 4, 2006, 03:41 PM
hey guys, i was thinking of trading one of my guns for a new GLOCK 22, then having the barrel and slide hard chromed. and adding some custom parts to it (extended slide release, 3.5lbs connector), to make it look cool. now i am not a gangster, i just thought it would look kind of cool, to have a sliver looking GLOCK. other then looks is there any advantage to doing this? does it reduce recoil? does it make the gun more durable? just wonder what you all might think.

thanks!

Half-Price Assassin
October 5, 2006, 07:32 PM
anybody? no one else has thought of getting a hard chromed GLOCK? :confused:

10milg29
October 5, 2006, 08:49 PM
Reduce recoil? This is a joke right?

Half-Price Assassin
October 5, 2006, 09:43 PM
no, i am being serious, i was thinking could the extra weigth of the hard chrome, help in reducing recoil? i am not sure about this, thats why i asked. i but is they any REAL advantage to hard chroming my GLOCK 22?

Axion
October 5, 2006, 10:15 PM
Seeing as how the factory glock finish is known for being very durable I really don't think you are going to get a real bennefit from messing with it.

10milg29
October 5, 2006, 10:19 PM
If you're concerned about recoil, get a G22C or a ported barrel for your G22. My G29 with .40 ported conversion barrel recoils less than a 9mm. I pass it around and watch jaws drop after they shoot it. I agree, stay with the factory finish. Extended controls are nice. Night sights are a must in my opinion. Other than that, leave it alone.

mete
October 6, 2006, 05:05 AM
I agree that the Glock finish is very durable !!! Chrome plating is very thin [ ~ .001" or less] and won't add any noticeble weight.

Samuel2001
October 6, 2006, 10:59 PM
H.P.A., I've had a G17 that's hard chromed for five or six years and the finish has held up very well. I had it hard chromed just for the look, since Tenifer is damned near indestructible and hard chrome would not really offer any more protection than the factory finish.

King_chin0
October 7, 2006, 02:41 PM
The C models deffinately would make a difference, a ported barrel, a heavier recoil spring and a recoil buffer can help the recoil, and a better follow-through ( as far as experience wise I'm not an expert, but after changing the spring in my 1911, I think it was a 15lbs, I changed it to a 20lb and added a wilson combat recoil buffer) and the recoil seems to be more stable and not much of a problem. The .45's recoil is very manageble, for the fact that I'm a pretty big guy. But the things you are planning to do is just all cosmetics, nothing to do with performance of a firearm, as far as durability, I think the guys have said it all, chrome is cool but then again to a certain extent, I always prefer a matte nickle over just plain old hard chrome, it just messes with my vision at the range because of light reflection of the gun, it might just be me tho. As far as cosmetics and being cool, I know many will kick my ass for saying this, but I'm sure you guys or someone has already posted about Alloy frame glocks, they are producing alloy frame for glocks, so anyone can buy the frame need in alloy, it was like an aluminum color, it was pretty cool to me, I prefer metal on my hands. But then again, glocks are infamous for their polymer frames, so I just don't see the point of anyone changing it to alloy, but I guess alooy is light as polymer and might be more durable(I don't eactly know what they are trying to do with it, because the glocks seem dame near indestructable to me). But as far as me mentioning this, its just a suggestion to you, it seems like you might be interested if you didn't already know about the alloy frames. it would look nice with your mods of a glock, an aluminum color body and a chrome slide, your G22 will look cute :D

hot sauce
October 7, 2006, 03:29 PM
IMHO glocks are at there best when left alone.