PDA

View Full Version : Colt Delta Elite in 10mm

Death from Afar
October 2, 2006, 10:46 PM
Thoughts? Comments? Nice gun , NIB, good price, 2 magazines.

Tomas
October 2, 2006, 11:13 PM
Holy cow buy it. I bought mine in 1986 and it's been one of the best guns I've ever owned.

NBergeron
October 2, 2006, 11:27 PM
Great gun. Got one of my own. I would strongly recommend, however, that you change out the factory recoil spring and guide rod. Replace the guide rod with a quality steel one, and the recoil spring with what suits you.

RickB
October 3, 2006, 08:52 AM
Doubtful that they'll be making any more, so get it now if it's a good deal. There are some easy mods that can be done to make it a better shooter, and last longer; do some searches at 1911forum.com.

Arizona Fusilier
October 3, 2006, 10:01 PM
I reckon its a classic, go for it.

I would recommend the retro-fit spring/rod guide rod shuffle as suggested above. My Delta lost a part (the plunger assembly between the safety and slide catch) early on, but it was with full-house original Norma 200 grainers. :eek: Your results (and everyone else's) might vary.

I don't think the 1911 was the best platform for the 10mm, but hey, beggars can't be choosy.

bakjr
October 4, 2006, 07:26 PM
Definitely get it!

I just picked a blued Delta Elite up and it is one sweet shooting pistol! Also, the values on the DE's are going up.

jimacp
October 4, 2006, 09:03 PM
I recently acquired a like new blue Delta in a trade. Unfortunately, the plastic recoil spring guide rod disintegrated first time out after firing just 100 rounds of Double Tap ammo. And while that ammo is hot, there is no excuse for Colt's decision to put that plastic piece of **** guiderod in there in the first place. To have it literally break into pieces the first time out did not get me off to a good start with the gun. Definitely replace guide rod and spring IMMEDIATELY if you are going to use full power loads. I had real doubts about pistol when I first got it a week or so ago, but now that I have changed out springs (23#) and guide rod, and satisfied myself pistol in not going to further disintegrate, I am happy. (I also replaced magazine spring with Wolff extra power, since on first outing I had a few failures to feed the last round from the magazine before the guide rod broke). Just fired another 100 rounds today. No bobbles whatsoever, and gun was accurate and recoil is manageable even with hot ammo.

Death from Afar
October 5, 2006, 12:03 AM
Outstanding. Thanks lads. Recomendations for guide rail?

hatchet
October 5, 2006, 07:55 PM
Try King's Gun Works, I believe they are out of Glendale California, for your guide rod. I got one from them a few years ago for a Springfield mil-spec and it turned it into a scary accurate shooter.
For my Kimber 10mm, I got a 23# spring from Double Tap.

hatchet
October 5, 2006, 08:01 PM
Here, I found a link:
www.kingsgunworks.com