PDA

View Full Version : .17 Rem and .204 Ruger....

Savage10FP308
October 2, 2006, 12:56 AM
I have been looking to buy a .17 HMR with a heavy barrel. I came across these two rounds (.17 Rem and .204 Ruger) and they simply blow the .17 HMR out of the water. Yes, I know the .17 HMR is a rimfire and the other two are centerfire but the bullet weights are similar for the three. Does anyone know if anybody makes a heavy barreled .17 Rem or .204 Ruger? Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks everybody!

arizona hunter
October 2, 2006, 05:28 PM
In the .204 Ruger, Howa (imported by Legacy Sports) makes some. I have one with a SS bull barrel, Boyds laminated thumbhole stock. It is beautiful and shoots everything well or very well. They also make one with a carbon fiber barrel ($$$).

My friend has a CZ 527 and his also has a heavy barrel and it also shoots wonderfully.

So there are at least two makers, plus I know Savage and Remington (VLS) are available with in heavy barrel .204's.

LOVE the .204 chambering. Easy to reload and even my wifes enjoys it.

cobra81
October 2, 2006, 05:51 PM
I know Savage makes a heavy-barrelled rifle chambered for Ruger .204; I've got one, and love it.

I think Savage also recently started producing a "Varmint" model 12, which has what they call an "Extra-heavy" stainless barreled action. They aren't kidding when they say extra heavy; the rifle weighs 12 lbs. without scope.

My rifle does great with the tiny little 32 gr. Hornady bullets....as to the ballistics vs. .17 HMR, it's the velocity. Factory-loaded Hornady ammo for the Ruger 204 is smokin' along at 4200 fps. That's approaching twice the velocity of the .17 HMR. But those are just numbers until you get out and actually see the difference in PERFORMANCE; shooting the Ruger 204 gives one the impression that the bullet is on the target before you finish squeezing the trigger! They are a hoot to shoot! I have a Marlin stainless 17 HMR as well, and it's a lot of fun in it's own right, but they're just different guns for different purposes. The Ruger .204 rocks.

Scorch
October 2, 2006, 07:00 PM
From reading the question, I got the impression he was asking for opinions about the difference between 17 Remington and 204 Ruger, not 17 HMR and 204 Ruger.

The 17 Remington is enjoying somewhat of a revival due to the availability of 17 caliber components and the amount of press the 17 caliber is getting, but the 204 is currently tin the spotlight.

Currently, Remington chambers the 700 BDL for 17 Remington. Several manufacturers chamber rifles for the 204 Ruger.

The 17 still suffers the same problems as 40 years ago: wind drift, trajectory past 300 yds, fouling (although less with modern powders), and it is still difficult to clean a .17 caliber bore. .204 has some of the same issues, but the bright side is that the bullet weighs 80% more than a .17 caliber bullet, and the bore is 20% bigger, so it's easier to clean. Performance-wise, they are very close.

The 17 Rem produces some absolutely spectacular kills on animals up to coyote size if you hit them right, but the 204 has the edge for penetration and killing power. On chucks and ground squirrels, the 17 Rem is spectacular, and I'm sure the 204 is also.

I think the 17 Rem is a neat little round, but the 204 Ruger will outshine it in performance and popularity.

robctwo
October 2, 2006, 07:39 PM
I just bought the CZ 527 Varmint in .204 Ruger. Nice gun. I got the reloading components in this weekend and loaded up a few rounds. Very easy to reload.

I'm guessing that with an average of 5 reloads for the brass i should be loading for about .25 per round, about 1/3 of the retail price. Less if brass lasts longer. Time will tell.

I also have the Savage 10FP in .223. Accu trigger is very nice. I upgraded the stock. Savage would be a good gun in the .204 as well.

Savage10FP308
October 2, 2006, 08:58 PM
I own a Savage 10FP in 308. I have fired many centerfire rifles and I can honestly say that mine is my favorite and it's not just because I own one. It actually happened the other way around. I shot one before I bought it and I had to have it. Plus the price is unbeatable when you consider that the gun is capable of sub-moa accuracy. I was just wondering if there is anything out there I am overlooking? I have looked at the Savage low profile varminter in .204 Ruger but just on the web. Anyone know what a decent price for one of these would be? Thanks for all the replies. Please keep them coming.

FirstFreedom
October 2, 2006, 08:59 PM
I came *this* close to buying a bull-barreled CZ 527 Varmint in .17 Rem. So yes, they are out there.

Savage10FP308
October 2, 2006, 09:08 PM
I love th looks of the CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar model. Good call!:) I know the retail looks kinda steep but does anyone know what one of these actually goes for?(maybe you First Freedom)

arizona hunter
October 4, 2006, 10:41 AM
At Sportsmans Warehouse I paid $619.00 for my .204 Howa SS heavy barrel, Laminated Boyd thubhole stock. They had a CZ w/ laminated stock (not a thumbhole)and the cost was about $650.00.

Savage10FP308
October 4, 2006, 04:52 PM
ill check it out

robctwo
October 4, 2006, 10:35 PM
Sportsman's Warehouse had the Kevlar stock CZ Varmint in .223 for $659 when I bought the wood stock .204 for $479. My recollection is that they stock the .204 in the Kevlar stock as well.