PDA

View Full Version : Best 1911 Manufacturer

FISHNFRANK
September 28, 2006, 08:30 PM
All

I just picked up a Colt 1911 in a trade. I don't know much about 1911's but I did get to thinking; almost everyone makes one now. Who is the considered the premier maker of 1911's currently?

Frank

P.S. Basically I selected this group of companies because each had the most posting activity on the 1911 Forums. The manufacturers of "other" guns had noticeable less activity, probably indicating more of a "specialty" type manufacturer of 1911's - these are the "majors".

P.P.S. - there were several questions asking for parameters (under $1,000) etc. - I decided not to limit the parameters due to the fact that a few companies make different "tiers" of guns - S&W for instance makes the basic $1,000 1911 but also makes $2,300 Performance Center guns. So I wanted to keep the question open-ended.

Glockamolie
September 28, 2006, 08:38 PM
For a new box-stock 1911 that I would need to trust my life to, it would be a S&W. I'm going off of 1911s that are stock, in the same relative price range - about $800-900 street price new, give or take. In other words, not an Ed Brown or a Les Baer, for example.

Dwight55
September 28, 2006, 09:18 PM
I was handed a Wilson 1911 at a local gun shop by one of the salespersons there, . . . and if anyone else makes one better than that $2500 piece, . . . I think I would be afraid to hold it.

I knew it was expensive as soon as it settled down in my hand just like it belonged there for the last umpteen years.

I took the opportunity to really look it over, . . . and the only "flaw" I could find was that price tag.

I'm the "other" voter, . . . hoping someday to own one of these.

May God bless,
Dwight

poortrader
September 28, 2006, 09:24 PM
I just bought a Les Baer Premier II. Extremely accurate. If I were worry about price, I would buy a Kimber because they have awesome customer service.

Lycanthrope
September 28, 2006, 09:36 PM
For $1000 or under it's STI (Trojan).

Above that, the semi customs from Wilson, Baer, Brown, STI/SVI, Yost, Burns.....well...how much money do you have?

tony pasley
September 28, 2006, 09:41 PM
I will go with the orginal. Colt

MoW
September 28, 2006, 10:26 PM
No doubt, Ed Brown.

Jeepmark2005
September 28, 2006, 10:32 PM
Ed Brown then maybe Wilson Combat

OJ
September 28, 2006, 11:44 PM
Made in late 1970 -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/P3130001B.jpg

And, in this year -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/71BXXA.jpg

Hard to beat -

:D :D

270Win
September 29, 2006, 01:29 AM
Here's another vote for Wilson Combat.

FS2K
September 29, 2006, 01:40 AM
You got yourself a fine 1911 for sure! Colt's are nice.

I have never owned anything but Colt's so I can't be of much help here, but I just wanted to congratulate you on your new aquisition!

glockopop
September 29, 2006, 02:32 AM
Although my Wilson 1911 was only $800, I bought it used. It is awesome! If it had been new, it would have been more like twice that so I don't think it qualifies for this poll. The only Colt I've shot was a Gunsite pistol, which was a very high-end Colt, and I was impressed. However, I can't see buying a Colt just because it already costs more than a Kimber or a Springfield and as soon as I get it I'm going to have to change the grip safety, the slide lock safety, and the sights, so add that on to the price right out of the gate. If I do get a Colt that already has these features, the price isn't far from the low end of Wilson territory, and I can personally assure you that it is wonderful territory to be in.

HSMITH
September 29, 2006, 06:20 AM
With a lot of the production 1911s approaching $1000 I would buy an STI.

I voted other, and considered the poll to mean 'what is the best 1911 at $1000 or less'......

JoshB
September 29, 2006, 08:41 AM
Kimber.

Edited - disregard my previous comment about the pole - I wasn't logged in at the time.

JimW
September 29, 2006, 10:32 AM
+1 on the Ed Brown---nothing finer then a Kobra Carry.:D :D

marlboroman84
September 29, 2006, 10:47 AM
Springfield for me. Gotta find a way to sneak the fiance's Mil-spec away until I can get mine. :D

vpjack
September 29, 2006, 10:57 AM
Since your question does not segregate by price, and some of the respondants do I"ll give two ansewers based on price. High end, Nighthawk Custom, built the way you want, Flawless in fit and function. Under a grand, Dan Wesson. The equal of anything in it's price range, and better than most. Of course this is just my opinion.

Jack

Duxman
September 29, 2006, 11:19 AM
Gonna have to buck the trend here and go Para:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/Duxman_2007/P1010006.jpg

Helps me shoot like Todd Jarrett: :cool:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/Duxman_2007/P1010005.jpg

RevolverLover
September 29, 2006, 11:27 AM
Duxman, your really liking that para aren't you? lol :D How many rds have you put though it so far?

azredhawk44
September 29, 2006, 11:43 AM
I've handled 2 kimbers... both have been TOO tight. No play in the slide at ALL. Owners commented that they would feed x-brand ammo only. Other stuff was hit-or-miss on feed reliability.

I've handled 1 colt series 70 gold cup. Very very nice. Some slop in the slide, but just the right amount. Shot very very well.

I own a Charles Daly Empire 1911. Okay... for what I paid for it very good. Wouldn't carry as a self defense weapon, but makes a great range gun. Reliability is 100% since replacing mags with Wilson Combat mags. Still understand its limitations in parts quality, though.

And the springers... ah, the springers. Every bit as nice as that colt series 70, but 1/2 - 2/3 the price tag.

stephen426
September 29, 2006, 12:01 PM
Are you talking about mass production guns? If somewhat limited production guns count, Les Baer is a pretty darn good gun maker.

Bosko
September 29, 2006, 12:57 PM
Nighthawk Custom: Predator III, Black Diamond Finish, Short trigger, slim grips.

pvtmcd
September 29, 2006, 01:45 PM
Taurus.
:D
I cant comment on quality, but para has a real good selection.

skeeter1
September 29, 2006, 05:43 PM
Colt. The original and the finest.

TBT
September 29, 2006, 06:40 PM
For a production level 1911 it’s my opinion that Smith and Wesson are leagues better than their closest competition (which would be Springfield Armory and Kimber in my book). I’ve shot more than a few and own one and it is absolutely 100% reliable. Good fit, good finish, reliable, accurate and it comes with excellent customer service if ever needed.

You could buy a better 1911, but you will pay a good grand more for it. I’ll actually go ahead and say that I believe that the 5” SW1911 is not only the best production 1911 made today, but the best pistol for under $1000 that money can buy.

I feel that good about these irons.

orionengnr
September 29, 2006, 09:08 PM
But it was also the one I grew up on so I have a hard time abandoning them.

I have strayed a bit, though...

Purists will balk and squawk at Para's LDA, but I think it is a master stroke. For anyone transitioning from a revolver or a Glock-type semi auto, the LDA is a natural. It's also a great "gateway drug" to the traditional SA 1911. I have owned four of them. Aside from the fact that they don't make an alloy Officer's size, I love them.

The Kimbers I have shot have been accurate beyond belief and absolutely reliable. Currently own two (both alloy framed 3"ers), and have my eye on another.

I recently bought a Defender. Still awaiting it's arrival. It will be nice to have a Colt in the safe again, after all these years. Hope it treats me well.

Seeing a trend? Yeah, I really like the 3" 1911s. Many people bad-mouth them but I have had pretty good luck with mine. One of my Paras needed an extractor tune, and a Charles Daly that I picked up cheap likewise had extractor and mag issues. One benefit of owning several is that I don't buy new parts unnecessarily-- I troubleshoot using the swap-parts method.

FWIW, I have no desire to carry a 5", 40 pound :) 1911. A 3", 23 oz'er, on the other hand, works very well for me.

Which accounts for the fact that own several...

Freetacos
September 29, 2006, 10:11 PM
the one you can afford ;)

UniversalFrost
September 29, 2006, 11:12 PM
Have had several brands (colt, SA, kimber, etc.) and I voted for the SA, just because they can be had for about 1/2 the price of the others. Looking at the new Taurus, what with all its included features and all for the low price. worst I ever owned was a rock island armory which spent more time getting repaired then shot, but i did sell it for more than I paid for it and bought a used springfield with the exact cash. :D

zenner22
September 30, 2006, 02:44 PM
I voted for Colt. I've got a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, a S&W Gunsite, and 3 Colts (2 Commanders and a Gold Cup). When it comes range time or time to carry I find myself going to the Colts more often than not. While I do love the other 1911s in my collections (especially the S&W), I don't see myself buying anything other than Colt for any future 1911 purchases.

givo08
September 30, 2006, 03:23 PM
Of all the brands, the only one you hear nothing but positive comments about is S&W. They also seem to have the best reputation for customer service than anyone else in the industry.

FISHNFRANK
September 30, 2006, 05:31 PM
I'm glad to see a few votes for S&W - I'm a big fan of their revolvers. They certainly give you enough choices in a 1911.

Frank