PDA

View Full Version : What's the value of this Colt 45?

tom650604
September 27, 2006, 07:26 PM
This is my dads gun. He passed away in 2003. The gun was pass to my brother, but now he gave it to me. My dad bought the gun brand new in 1986. My brother told me that dad had put around 100 rounds on it back in 1986. It was stored away all this time in it's original paper box and looks like the gun need some lube. Just wondering what is the ball park figure on this piece. Of course, this one is special to me and I will never sell it but just want to know some figures. Everyone is welcome and will be appreciated.

Colt MK IV Series 80 Military Model 45ACP
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/tom650604/DSCF0865.jpg

BillCA
September 27, 2006, 11:09 PM
Given that it looks to be in excellent shape a 98% specimen rates about $650 while one that's like-new with the original box, papers, spare mag, etc. will go for $775-$800. Likely the values for these Colts will only rise.

Keep your Colt wiped down with a light film of oil or other rust inhibitor. If you're storing it in a safe or even a small gun box, use VCI "chips" to reduce the chance of corrosion. This will keep both the investment and sentimental value of the gun intact.

VCI - vapor corrosion inhibitor

Lurch37
September 27, 2006, 11:42 PM
I'm with Bill

The last 80 series gov't model I bought set me back $625.00. That was about a month ago, and it was in the 98-99 percent range, but had some nasty fake ivory grips on it that I changed to original walnut, so that adds another $25. It came with no box or papers, so with a good box and papers and all that, I would say anywhere from $700 to $800.

Those last 2 or 3 percentage points, 98%, 99%, or 100% really can make a big difference to the value. And then if you have the box and all that it just adds to it. I've seen boxes alone go for $75-$100 on ebay.

tom650604
September 28, 2006, 03:28 AM
Thanks guys, I will lube it asap. Thanks, I was about to throw the box away and buy a new case for it. Thank god I kept the box. The gun looks like 98-99% condition. Yes, It still come with box, extra mag, papers, even reciept. Reciept said paid $510.00 brand new in March of 1986. Looks like a good investment that I can't sell.

Thanks folks.:)

BillCA
September 28, 2006, 11:20 PM
Tom,

Get thyself to a either a marine boat shop or to a full-line hardware store and see if you can find Corrosion-X for fishing reels and firearms. Good stuff and it will do a great job fighting those unwanted red spots that appear on safe queens at times.

Keep the box, its contents and especially that receipt! That gives a prospective buyer a good reference for the DOB/First Sale of the gun and where it was shipped to from Colt.

Lurch37
September 29, 2006, 11:49 PM
I thought maybe I would add just a bit to my original post to you. If you are going to say just store it as a keepsake, please take the time to strip it down and put some sort of protective oil on the insides to. I can't tell you how many times I've boughten a nice looking old Colt and then once home, find the insides looking like an 76 Ford rear fender, (as in rusty).

If your uncomfortable with a detailed strip of it, at least remove the slide, (field strip), and use some sort of spray lubricant so as to get it all over inside the gun.

Good luck, you have a great Colt, and if you ever change your mind and want to sell it, give me a shout, I would love to have it.