PDA

View Full Version : MP or Glock

MSB
September 25, 2006, 08:14 PM
Greetings,

I am looking to purchase my first gun and at first I thought I wanted a Glock 19, however, I just dry fired a Smith and Wesson M&P .40 and it felt good. Any thoughts on which functions better or if there have been problems with either?

Thanks!

-Mike

croyance
September 25, 2006, 08:31 PM
Do you have any prior experience with handguns?
Do you have an intended purpose beyond practicing at the range? Will this be a future concealed carry gun, or will it be strictly range/home defence?

The grip angles and triggers are different. I don't think much of Glock's safety-in-trigger system, but like the S&W MP hinged safety trigger less. Still, in practical terms I have not heard of trouble with either.

The Glock has, of course, a longer track record of reliability and durability, but nothing has come up with S&W.

Go with the one that feels more natural in your hand. Which aims better for you?

I would suggest getting a .22LR first, practice is cheap and recoil is light. It is easier to remember all the safety skills under those conditions.

If you will not be carrying this gun concealed, for the Glock I would suggest a G17 or G34 if you are set on it being a 9x19.

I don't think you will go wrong with either. I don't really like the Glock grip, but that is me. You need to pick the one that works for you.

Rebeldon
September 25, 2006, 10:15 PM
The Glock 19 is a favorite among Glock enthusiasts--for good reason. However, why start off with a plastic gun?

kentak
September 25, 2006, 10:40 PM
However, why start off with a plastic gun?

Why not?

K

Rebeldon
September 25, 2006, 10:59 PM
It was a joke.

seed
September 25, 2006, 11:22 PM
Just my opinion, but I am betting that S&W have yet to work out all the kinks with their new pistol. If you want one, you might consider waiting for a couple of years until they do.

Meanwhile, the Glock 19 is an excellent gun and unless you are one of those who hate Glocks for whatever reason, I don't think you will be disappointed should you purchase one. Glock has pretty much worked out all the kinks of this model and it should provide you with 100,000 or more rounds of enjoyment...and perhaps a few for protection.

You might also want to take a look at the new FN and Beretta. Again, I would wait a few years for the kinks to be found and worked out, but these designs are intriguing and come from excellent companies.

MSB
September 26, 2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the good information. With respect to my experience, I took an NRA Basic Pistol Class in June of last year. Since then, I have rented different guns from different ranges and borrowed one from a friend. These guns include the following:

Glock 17
Glock 19
Glock sub compact .45 (forgot the model)
Browning 1935 High Compact
Smith and Wesson 5906

I recently learned how to field strip the Glock and I generally hit the target either on center or a little to the left. My purpose for the gun is home defense, range shooting, and possibly carry.

I hope this information further clarifies my question.

Once again, thanks for the good information!

-M

stmcelroy
September 26, 2006, 07:28 PM
Since you have experience with the Glock, why even consider the M&P?

You'll be much happier with the Glock 17 or 19.

Steve

Rob Pincus
September 26, 2006, 08:43 PM
FWIW, I am a longtime Glock supporter, but I've had 5 M&P's in house at Valhalla Training Center since May. We've been handing them to 90% of the recreational shooters (ie- never touched a gun before and want to run the 360 degree mazes...) and training center students alike. We've got 10,000+ rnds through a few of them and we've had approximately ZERO problems... one of my staff members might even have cleaned them once along the way....

They shoot very well.

croyance
September 26, 2006, 08:51 PM
I have not heard of the Browning 1935 High Compact. The year 1935 is when the Browning HiPower came out.

For learning on the range, a longer sight radius is desireable, as is relatively low recoil. I personally would go with a Browning HiPower, but I also have familiarity with it. A .22 LR conversion kit is also available.
Of the Glocks, the G19 would seem more appropriate, though people do conceal the G17. I just don't like the blocky shape of Glocks for carry. Your experience may differ.

Go with the one that feels best to you. I really don't think you have a bad choise either way.

FS2K
September 26, 2006, 09:12 PM
Glock. G17 or G19.

The SW M&P is the new kid on the block. It's got the interchangable grips thing going for it, and besides the "Frilly" serrations (can you call those serrations?!?) on the slide the M&P is a handsome gun.

On the other hand, Glocks have as much style in their design as Bricks. Of course this would matter in a beauty contest.

I'm with croyance on the G19, it is one of, if not THE most well balanced pistol Glock has ever produced. Not just in weight either, but balance between size and power. That reminds me, I have to get me another one of them things...anyway, back to what I was saying. Glocks are proven performers. They are pure tools when it comes to reliability and function. Besides, how much is an M&P going for these days? Something like $575-$600 something like that? You can get the G19 and a BUNCH of ammo for that much.

dave0520
September 26, 2006, 09:28 PM
FS2K, around here the M&Ps are going for less than the Glocks are.

Although the M&P is new, many people claim that it is a fantastic performer. I have heard that S&W has been going around to police departments, giving them a M&P and 10,000 rounds and telling them to go for it.

mjrodney
September 27, 2006, 03:07 AM
At a gunshow a couple of weeks ago, the M&P was priced at $495 and the Glock 17/19 at $595.

One of the sales staff said he would drop the Glock price by $50.

threegun
September 27, 2006, 05:33 AM
MSB, There is no indication that the M&P is going to be anything other than reliable, accurate, and durable. That said I'm a Glock nut. I currently own 9 of them in 3 different calibers. They are the only guns that I use for self defense for many subtle reasons which I feel give them the edge over all others.

Ace On The Line
September 27, 2006, 08:36 AM
The M&P has it going and is worth seriously checking out. As to waiting a couple years until the "kinks" are worked out before buying one...its not a new OS from Microsoft. :confused:

Logs
September 27, 2006, 02:03 PM
I am going to pick up an M&P in a few weeks to see for myself. $399 at www.budsgunshop.com They have come down in price in the last few months.

Sgt Pepper
September 27, 2006, 02:21 PM
Dry-firing at the counter or gunshow is one thing, but if you can, you really should try at the range before you buy. I've fondled guns that felt bad, but under live fire, shot and handled great, and vice versa. Of course, I've also run into some that felt bad and shot bad, and felt good and shot good. Point being, you can't really tell squat without doing some live shooting with the makes and models that you are considering.

As a sidenote, is it just me, or is everything that S&W produces these days, except for wheelguns, just a knockoff or private label of something else? Did the execs at S&W go to Chinese business school?

Alex_L
September 27, 2006, 02:55 PM
You're a novice, so go with M&P because of manual safeties and more bells and whistles.

TxPhantom
September 27, 2006, 03:40 PM
I like my MP40. They have only been available to purchase since last December but already have a large & growing fan base. The S & W lifetime warranty is worth considering. Not sure about Glocks warranty but I'm sure they have a good one also.
No doubt Glocks are very good guns but I just can't find one on my long "want/need list".
You'll get lots of opinions but in the long run you'll just have to decide for yourself.:)