PDA

View Full Version : Spring power????

Duxman
September 24, 2006, 06:19 PM
Hello,

I was just wondering how reduced power springs, and extra power springs (both for recoil) - affect striker powered guns?

I have a Kahr K9 and need to replace the recoil spring - factory standard is 20#, how does a reduced power spring 18# or extra power spring 22# benefit me?

Thanks. ;)

Bill DeShivs
September 24, 2006, 06:28 PM
Why would the spring be bad in the first place?
Bill

Dfariswheel
September 24, 2006, 07:15 PM
Kahr's do need to have the recoil springs replaced, and my older K9's manual said at 2000 round intervals.

Most of the Micro-Mini autos put the recoil spring under tremendous stress and they do weaken a lot faster than a full size.

As for which spring to use, use factory weight springs ONLY.
The only reason to go with a different spring is when there a specific problem with the gun that requires a different weight.

Pistols are carefully "balanced" during design and development to work with a specific type and weight of spring.
Too many people with guns in perfect working order install different springs to make the gun "work better, or more reliably", and actually compromise the reliability and even cause damage to the gun.

So, if your gun is working properly, don't start playing around with springs.
This is VERY MUCH a case of the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it".

T. O'Heir
September 25, 2006, 10:33 PM
Recoil springs have nothing to do with the striker/hammer/trigger. Changing a recoil spring allows you to use different 'power' ammo without beating up the frame/slide. For example, if you're using hot ammo, a heavier recoil spring will reduce the beating the pistol takes under recoil, but won't change the cycling. However, if you then use target velocity ammo with the same spring, you'll have all kinds of cycling problems. Failures to eject with resulting feeding problems. The slide won't have enough velocity to operate the pistol properly due to the greater resistance from the spring.

Duxman
October 11, 2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys.