PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 Hi capacity Mags?

Zimster
September 24, 2006, 01:40 AM
Ive seen the new M24A2 with the Hight capacity 10 rnd mag (i think its 10 rnds) and have also seen pics of other remington 700s with these mags. Is there a manufacturer that makes these or are they just M14 mag conversions? I want one bad!

quack fiend
September 24, 2006, 02:35 AM
ummmm....why? to me, a bolt gun with hi-cap mag is like a paxton supercharger on a yugo

garryc
September 24, 2006, 05:46 AM
ummmm....why? to me, a bolt gun with hi-cap mag is like a paxton supercharger on a yugo

Not really, A bolt sniper rifle at long range with a high cap mag would could put some serious hurt on a group of guys with AK's or AR's. That requires the shooter to develope the ability to speed bolt.

joshua
September 24, 2006, 06:43 AM
True A bolt sniper rifle at long range with a high cap mag would could put some serious hurt on a group of guys with AK's or AR's

I just hope that sniper assesses the situation completely ensuring there is no sniper in that squad. Once a sniper exposes his concealment he better finish all the threats that can put a hurting on him. I think a 10 round mag won't be a burden, but a 20 round mag will making the rifle higher endangering concealment. josh

garryc
September 24, 2006, 07:30 AM
My tacticle sniper instructer is/was a Vietnam Marine sniper. He told us that in a firefight the sniper takes care of the back of the field, beyond the range of the M-16 and the AK-47. This adds depth to the units ability to bring effective fire. Of course he is not going to do this when he's alone. He would only do it when with a large group, squad or higher.

Gewehr98
September 24, 2006, 11:54 AM
But there is a floorplate conversion (made by ArmsTech) that adds 3 rounds to the .308 Short Action and 5 to the .223 Short Action 700 rifles:

http://mauser98.com/magextender2.jpg

Rem700SD
September 24, 2006, 03:09 PM
You'd have to replace the floorplate, but I believe HS Precision sell a kit. Mags are over $100 ea. IIRC

AMT8951
September 24, 2006, 05:00 PM
Midway USA sells a kit to allows you to use detachable mags in your 700. The kit is made by H&S Percission. I think someone also sells just a mag extension. For what it's worth, I think it's a pretty cool idea. Here is the link. Good luck :)

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=132600

Zimster
September 24, 2006, 07:01 PM
ATM8951

Thanks, That's exactly what I was looking for. Albeit a bit pricey that is the ticket!

Thanks also for everyone else's replies.

I was most interested in the new look of the M24A2 that comes with the 10 rnd detachable mag. http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/m24a2.htm

Other than the added weight of a couple extra rnds I'll bet most snipers wouldn't mind the extra capacity. Pride aside and the whole "One shot one kill" slogan. As cool as it sounds how much cooler is "10 shots 10 KILLS?!?" :cool: ;)

Maximus856
September 24, 2006, 07:10 PM
Just because a sniper has 10+rounds doesn't mean he has to use it. I know if I blew my cover, I would want the extra rounds instead of having to reload...

-Max.

Fat White Boy
September 24, 2006, 11:02 PM
Cabelas has a 700 Mag conversion for $75.00 plus a magazine for about $30...

Zimster
September 25, 2006, 01:11 AM
Fat White Boy>

NICE...:) Thanks a mill. They just built a new Cabelas here in Phoenix. Haven't been yet. Mostly do my outdoor shopping at Sportsmen Wearhouse

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0024317226539a&navCount=11&podId=0024317&parentId=cat20807&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat602007-cat20807_TGP&catalogCode=IG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20807&hasJS=true

So is it the $244.99 HS conversion or the Cabelas $112 I also found this Badger Ordnance for $329. but not including the 10 round mag. Man huge difference!

I wonder if its the type of metals used and I wonder what difference it would make... strength, weight?

Thanks all, now I have options!

To be honest, I wonder if I could modify my existing guard to accomodate one of these 10 round mags? Anyone tried this?
Just wondering, don't think I would actually do this, but If I could it would literally save me hundreds! :) :)

AMT8951
September 25, 2006, 07:49 AM
Arms Tech makes a mag extension for the 700. It replaces the floor plate that came with the gun. Brownells sell them for under twenty bucks. Increases capacity to 7 - 8 rds. Here is the Link:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=19711&title=REMINGTON+700+MAG-XTENDER

Gewehr98
September 26, 2006, 01:49 PM
Arms Tech makes a mag extension for the 700. It replaces the floor plate that came with the gun. Brownells sell them for under twenty bucks. Increases capacity to 7 - 8 rds. Here is the Link:

Would that be the same one that was posted earlier in this thread, and illustrated in a picture as installed on an olive-green 700PSS? ;)

AMT8951
September 26, 2006, 03:37 PM
Would that be the same one that was posted earlier in this thread, and illustrated in a picture as installed on an olive-green 700PSS?
Yesterday 08:49 AM

Sorry!!!

guntotin_fool
September 26, 2006, 05:41 PM
This again raises the question of why? If a sniper has spotted 8 or ten guys who need to go away, he calls in arty. or air. Snipers like the one shot one kill idea as it makes it difficult for the bad guys to find where he is. See, they have snipers and mortars too, and when they see you they shoot back.

Very rarely do snipers fire more than a few rounds a day, and in doing so, they usually have time to reload.

The Israeli model of using a modified galil with its larger mag and semi operation is built on urban conflict with lots going on, a sniper behind the lines observing a fire fight and adding his range and vision to support that gun fight rather than the long range "surgical" mentality that the US has developed. Almost like the difference between designated marksman and sniper. Most info I have has the DM being equipped with a M14 or modified M-16 with few carrying the bolt actions. This being said, I am speaking from a VERY small sampling of those I know who have been there and done that.

Gewehr98
September 26, 2006, 09:27 PM
During the Bosnian conflict, I got to spend some vacation time in and near Sarajevo at Uncle Sam's and NATO's expense. (Got a cute little blue medal to put in my rows of chest trash, too!) I saw a couple of these .300 Win Mag ArmsTech Interdiction Rifles being used in counter-sniper roles against some nasty folks in high-rise buildings who were poaching and terrorizing people from afar. Multiple targets were engaged and systematically eliminated by the keepers of these upgraded Browing BAR sporting rifles. Suffice it to say they weren't single-shot rifles, and our boys made excellent use of the quick follow-up shot capability.

http://mauser98.com/interdiction.jpg

FirstFreedom
September 26, 2006, 09:31 PM
THAT is a BAR action? In a bolt-style stock?

Weird, wild, wacky stuff.

And another thing, could you make your first pic of the 700 a little bigger - I can't make out anything on that pic! :p

Gewehr98
September 26, 2006, 09:36 PM
But, yes, the U.S. Army invested in a batch of those Browning BAR rebuilds, using McMillan one-piece synthetic stocks, match-grade barrels, proprietary scope mounts, and even converted the box magazines to take detachable 10 and 20-round M1918 BAR magazines.

Not much is said about them or their employment, and I was surprised to see them in person. I have an older 7mm Magnum BAR I plan on converting to a clone, but McMillan refuses to even talk about making another one-piece stock for my project. From ArmsTech, also similar to what's on Jane's Military Small Arms:

- - - - -
ARMS-TECH, Ltd. Magnum Super Match Interdiction rifle (.300 - Winchester Magnum)

DEVELOPMENT
The "Magnum Super-Match Interdiction" rifle was developed as a private venture by ARMS-TECH, Ltd. It was to fill a need for a precision rifle as accurate as a bolt-action rifle, able to reach targets beyond the range of standard .7'62x51mm-NATO weapons, and providing a quick follow-up shot capability, for tactical situations requiring the engagement of multiple targets.

DESCRIPTION
The "Magnum Super-Match Interdiction" rifle is based on an extensively modified FN HERSTAL BAR sporting rifle. Stainless steel barrels are by either Douglas or Schneider, are fully free floated for accuracy and are blackened by a chrome sulphide process. Barrels are cryogenically treated to enhance accuracy and extend service life. The barrels are threaded to accept a sound suppressor. In the absence of a suppressor, a cap is screwed onto the muzzle to prevent damage.
Extraction has been improved for strength and reliability. For cold weather operations, the charging handle has been extended. Locking lug recesses, integral to the barrel in standard rifles, have been replaced by a proprietary carbon steel shank to improve reliability and strength. The bolt is lapped for smooth operation. The magazine release has been changed to one similar to a Kalashnikov type. Stocks are by McMillan (Harris Gun Works) and each action is custom-bedded using a powdered metal-filled epoxy compound.
The rifle incorporates an ARMS-TECH proprietary telescope mounting system that allows optics to be removed and replaced without loss of zero. The "Magnum Super-Match Interdiction" rifle is warranted by the manufacturer to shoot with sub-minute of angle accuracy over its effective range.

TECHNICAL SPECS
-CALIBER: .300 - Winchester Magnum
-OPERATION: Bolt-action, rotating bolt
-CAPACITY: 3-rounder or 10-rounder detachable box magazine
-WEIGHT: 6,3 Kilograms, empty
-LENGHT: 1 Meter / 20 Centimeters, approx.
-BARREL LENGHT: 660 Millimetres
-RIFLING: 6 grooves, RH, 1 turn in 304 Millimetres
-SIGHTS: Optical, to customer specifications
-MUZZLE VELOCITY: 971 Metres Per Second
-RATE OF FIRE: From 3 to 4 Rounds Per Minute, according to the shooter's skill
-EFFECTIVE RANGE: About 1 Kilometer

Manufacturer contact info:

ARMS-TECH, Ltd.
5133 North Central Avenue / STE.#200
Phoenix, Arizona 85012
United States of America

TELEPHONE: 602.272.9045
FAX: 602.272.1922
E-MAIL:[email protected]

SERVICE: Unspecified special operations forces.

BusGunner007
September 26, 2006, 10:08 PM
When I got the 'flyer' from ArmsTech, I was in LOVE with that rifle, only I couldn't cough up the $$$ for it, even if they would've sold it to me.
Just 'cuz you have an FFL doesn't mean you'll get what you WANT!;)

It remains as one of the most interesting and desirable guns I've ever seen.:)