PDA

View Full Version : Inherited Firearm Collection (Including some exotic peices)

REL1203
September 21, 2006, 03:03 PM
Gents,

Hello and good day. My father passed away a couple months ago, and I have inherited his firearms collection. I havent been into the firearm seen since I was younger and am not really firmilar with what the laws are now about selling them. There are a couple of nice peices, a 45/120 Shiloh "Quigly" type gun, 3 Cheif AJ Ruger 10/22 competition rifles, ect... I am not sure what is the best place and how to sell some of these and was hoping for some much needed information... I live in the State of VA and am over 25years old. If any one could share some info with me on this, it would be much appreiciated and where to sell these more exotic peices would be great...

Thanks so much guys

virus77
September 21, 2006, 03:11 PM
You should keep them :o

Northern Sod Breaker
September 21, 2006, 03:16 PM
Ditto the above. You should keep them.

Dreadnought
September 21, 2006, 03:23 PM
My friend won't even touch the guns his father left him, even to fire them. I told him some of them have collectors' value, but he wants to keep them.

REL1203
September 21, 2006, 03:27 PM
Oh, I am keeping some (Bushmaster AR-15, ect..) just certainly dont need them all, which is why I was asking for help

virus77
September 21, 2006, 03:51 PM
Obvoiusly its a gun lovers forum so you were bound to get answers like that. You can sell you guns a number of ways. Online, local gun shows, have a gun store sell them for you for on consignment, local buyers that you find from asking around, hope that helps.

Buy I still say you keep them all :)

Scorch
September 21, 2006, 03:59 PM
I guess I would start off with the question of which ones do you want to keep? Any sentimental favorites? Any rare or hard to replace guns? Once you have decided which ones to keep, the rest is fairly easy.

You can look on GunsAmerica.com or GunTrader.com or check any one of the gun value books out there for values of the guns, then advertise them for sale or put them on consignment with a dealer. I prefer the latter, since that way you won't have a bunch of guys coming over and trying to talk your guns down, which can get pretty discouraging.

Good luck!!

Hedley
September 21, 2006, 04:05 PM
I'll bet you already knew this, but stay away from pawn shops.
But personally, I'd keep them all. You'll regret letting something go down the road. Even if it's a High Point, it was your late father's High Point. Wait, never mind, High Points don't count.

Art Eatman
September 21, 2006, 05:14 PM
Fjestad's "Blue Book" is around $30 at gunstores or Barnes & Noble. Even a used copy a year or so out of date will be reasonably close. The Blue Book also offers a primer on grading the condition of firearms, aiding your ability to describe them.

"The Gun List" at Barnes & Noble ($3.95 an issue?) is a good newspaper-type source for info.

You can browse the Buy&Sell forums here for some ideas of asking prices.

You didn't say how many firearms, total. You might consider listing a half-dozen at a time in separate threads, for some feedback. Some such system, anyway...

Best luck,

Art

FirstFreedom
September 21, 2006, 08:00 PM
How much you needing for that Quigley rifle? PM me - I just may want to buy it. Thanks.

NateG
September 21, 2006, 08:35 PM
I see you're in Manassas... I'm in Centreville, and my favorite gun shop is in Manassas. Guns and Ammo Warehouse. It's on 28 just south of 234. They've got a "bid wall," basically a silent auction for guns. I think they charge a percentage of the final sale price. (I haven't sold any guns that way, just bought a few) If I were to try to sell some guns, I'd probably go by there and see what they think. Even if you don't sell them there, you get some information. If you're in no hurry, take one or two to the Chantilly gun show in November. (it's the weekend of the 19th or so, it's always the first weekend of rifle season. Bad timing) I would think you'd be likely to find a better price at the gun show.

Another pretty good gunshop out in Manassas is Virginia Arms, also on 28, about 2 miles north of G&A. I'm pretty sure they sell guns on consignment as well.

Oh, since you're in Virginia, face-to-face private sales to other Virginia residents are a-okay (21 for handguns, 18 for rifles). (For example, we could meet in a parking lot and conduct the sale) Interstate sales are a little more complicated, but not too tough. (You have to go through a dealer to do the paperwork)

Like several folks have already said, if you don't need to sell them for money, strongly consider hanging on to them. It sounds like there are quite a few, so there might be some you could let go without regret, but do at least give it a thought.

270Win
September 21, 2006, 09:42 PM
If you post a list of what you're thinking of parting with, I'll bet you'll get a TON of PMs regarding FTF offers. +1 to the suggestion of buying a book of gun values to get an idea of what you're looking at.

PS - post that list ;)

BobGnKY
September 21, 2006, 09:59 PM
I'd say give it a couple of years before you sell ANYTHING. You may decide a few months or so down the road that you can maintain that connection with your dad through the guns he left you.

My dad passed away 2 yrs ago. I inherited his guns, many of which he had already given to me because he was no longer able to enjoy them.

I find that when I am really missing Dad, a trip to the range is in order.

Again, that time is necessary to allow yourself to grieve and heal. A general rule of thumb is to not do anything for at least the first 6 months. For something like firearms, which your dad obviously enjoyed, I would stretch that to at least 2 yrs.

If, down the road, you decide that the connection isn't there, then you can sell them. You CAN'T, however, UN-SELL them ...

my 2 cents ...

guntotin_fool
September 21, 2006, 10:13 PM
I was just going to say what BobG said, UNLESS you or someone in your family needs to buy a kidney on the black market, Please hold on to them for a while. Give it a year or a bit more and let the thoughts and meanings of those guns sink in a bit before you sell. I had a very good friend who sold a few of his dads guns not really giving it much thought, after he did he found out that two of the guns he sold off were what fed his father's family thru the great depression while they lived off the land in northern Mn and Wisc. He was never able to retrieve those guns and really lost a portion of his families history.

Please wait.

PinnedAndRecessed
September 21, 2006, 10:19 PM
You can go to this web site:

http://gunsamerica.com/

In the upper left hand corner see the word "search."

Go down to "Keyword Search Tool."

Type in whatever kind of gun you're looking to price. It will bring up samples along with current prices nationwide. That can be a decent starting point.

Or, if you wish, go here:

http://auctionarms.com/

On this site you can sell a gun, allowing the auctionplace to determine the price. I've never used it, but many do so with success.

Best of luck.

Know one thing, you've got a treasure. And there's nothing gun people like better than to get a treasure for nothing. You've been warned.

9guy
September 21, 2006, 10:54 PM
First, let me say I'm sorry for your loss. I have yet to lose a parent, but I know it will be very hard when I do.

I'm not sure about your state's gun sale laws, but I'm guessing they're probably pretty close to those of Texas, where I live.

Here, the laws aren't as strict on individuals as they are dealers. In other words, you're not required to do a background check, etc. Basically, you can sell your guns to anyone, as long as you don't know they're a felon or are prohibited from owning firearms for some other reasons.

Some ways to sell:

1. Place an ad in your local newspaper

2. Post them on some of the online sales sites (I think these have more strict requirements, like shipping to someone with a Federal Firearms License for transfer to your buyer, which may be a pain.)

3. Email your buddies and/or word of mouth

4. Post them at local shooting ranges, gun shops, etc.

5. Call around and find gun shops that sell on consignment, and take them there

6. Post them for sale in this and other forums

Stay away from pawn shops, unless you want to get ripped off.

With that said, I agree with some of the previous posts...I would keep them!

As far as some of the other guys have said about not shooting their father's guns because of value, etc, I say why not? If your father loved guns, he'd probably rather his son be getting some use and/or fun out of them than them collecting dust.

However, if you need the money more than the guns, I'm sure he would rather you sell them than hold on to them.

Personal Anecdotes:

My Dad bought me a little .22 pistol when I was in my teens, and I sold it because I needed some cash. I still feel bad about selling it, and I have yet to get up the nerve to tell him I sold it.

I've still got an H&R 20 gauge he bought me when I was born. It still looks brand new, and even though I may never shoot it, I'll never get rid of it.

He gave me a couple of Remingtons the other day because I asked to borrow a gun to go dove hunting with. He bought the 870 when he was 15 and the 1100 when he was in his 20's. I'll never be able to get rid of these guns.

Bottom line...If you need the money, sell them. If you don't, keep them.

Earnhardtjr3829
September 21, 2006, 11:07 PM
Once you sell them you ,and everyone else in your family cannot get them back. Even if you don't want them now, I'm sure your kids, grandkids, etc. would love to have them. Just my opinion, they are yours to do what you want with. I do agree to stay as far away from pawn shops as possible.

BusGunner007
September 22, 2006, 12:37 AM
--- about the next 10 months.
You'll know by then what to do.

My sincere condolences on the news of losing a parent.
I lost my Dad when I was 19...in 1975.
I'm dreading the day my Mom passes on.

Take care and take your time.
God Bless you.

REL1203
September 22, 2006, 10:51 AM
Gents...

Thanks so much. I should have been a little more clear, my couple months has been almost 11 months, so I guess I should have said a year. I have already pulled the ones I want to keep (Keeping 10 out of 25 or so). So I have 10-15 i plan to sell. The Bid Wall at Guns and Ammo Warehouse sounds like a decent idea, and something that doesnt require alot of work on my end. I am getting married in 6 months, so this money was going to help pay for it since I would not expect my mother to help with it with her current sitution. So the money will certainly go towards something important. Anyway, for those firmilur with something like the Cheif AJ Ruger 10/22's, any idea how to sell those, as I know some of them are valueable. Is there a place to sell custom style guns like that. I dont even know if the Cheif (whom I have met twice now) is still making rifles like this.

Thank you all so much for your help. I should have a list for you guys soon enough, compiling a list as soon as I can this weekend when I can travel back home.

Thanks again

mtnbkr
September 22, 2006, 11:21 AM
I'm in Manassas too. G&A Warehouse and Va Arms are both good suggestions.

Chris

pesta2
September 22, 2006, 12:08 PM
How about this, send me the Sharps, I will pay shipping and it will keep you from lugging around that pick heavy thing.;)

REL1203
September 22, 2006, 12:43 PM
I might be new to these forums, but I am not new to everything :) Nice try

Magnum Wheel Man
September 22, 2006, 03:07 PM
2nd or 3rd to say... sorry for your loss... I also went through the same situation, with my wifes father, only I was also into shooting at the time, & his collection was "very deep"...

... my 1st thoughts are now that you've had some time to think, don't be selfish... there are probably guns in that collection that mean more to "some" of your relitives & or fathers friends, than the money you could get for them ( I think I sold, at whole sale price, nearly 10 or so to relitives & family friends, where it was a rifle my father in law had always borrowed to one of his down on his luck cousins, family friends, maybe one he bought from a friend or relitive that wished later they'd never sold it )... I also kept a parcel of old grand parents, great grand parents, etc. damacus barreled shot guns, the 22's & small bore shot guns my father in law, wife & her brother & sister learned to shoot with...

... I think the key here is... do you intend to "get into shooting" again ??? if not, I think you are right to trim the collection to a bare minimum, something manageable, & easier to take care of... I also highly recommend getting a value book, just so you have some idea of what they are worth, & selling them at the shop as listed above is a great idea... I will offer additional advice of, only bring them down to the shop 2 at a time, rather than overwhelming your local market, resulting in likely getting less per gun... also resist the desire to bring the nicest ones in 1st... take a gun of higher value, & pair it with one of moderate value, so you are not left with just the junkier ( less valuable ( no offense meant )) guns at the end...

REL1203
September 23, 2006, 08:39 AM
All very good advice.. Thank you all, hopefully today I will be able to get a list made and take pics of everything....

johnbt
September 23, 2006, 09:30 AM
I don't know about your location, but in Richmond the majority of privately owned guns are listed for sale in the weekly Trading Post rag sold at 7-11, etc.

Chief AJ has some new guns for sale on his site: www.chiefaj.com/index.htm

www.chiefaj.com/new_rifles.htm

John

REL1203
September 27, 2006, 07:51 PM
Guys,
I have posted another thread asking for some info about a couple Winchesters and a mauser that is part of the collection. Didnt want to add it to this thread, but wanted to keep you all updated. Still getting around to getting the rest soon.