PDA

View Full Version : Good first semi auto?

rockclimberSH
September 19, 2006, 09:24 PM
Hey everybody. Just joined and did a few searches on purchasing your first handgun. I am in the market for a semi-automatic that will be accurate and user friendly, take it to the range, etc. I tested out a several calibers with a friend who is a handgun enthusiast to determine what my preferences are. I shot a Sig P232 .380 ACP, a Glock G27 .40, a SW .38. I liked the Sig, and it felt very natural in my hand... but I think I might be after something more substantial than .380. The Glock was not for me, but I think this was more a function of the grip being too short for my tastes. I was told I might have better luck with the the G23 or maybe the G17 if I want 9MM. I've been reading many reviews, doing research, and I have narrowed it down to a few candidates:

Sig 226, 9MM
Sig 229, 9MM
Sig P2022, 9MM

Glock 17, 9MM
Glock 23, .40

What do you guys think? Is there anything I missed? Anything I am foolish for considering? Also, how much should I expect to pay for these guns? Do you really pay MSRP or is there room to move. Sorry for the noob question but I have to start somewhere and this looked like one of the best forums to ask. Thanks in advance.

rellascout
September 19, 2006, 09:30 PM
Do not pay MSRP for these guns?

Do you want new in the box or are you looking at used?

I think that you should also add the G19 to the list. All of the others are great choices.

MoW
September 19, 2006, 09:35 PM
You really didn't say what you were using it for? CCW, target, HD, etc...Go with the SIG--you won't regret it. P228 or P229 for CCW---P226 for target, HD etc...If you are good size you can CCW the P226--a little more accurate.

Glockamolie
September 19, 2006, 09:37 PM
If it were me starting over, I'd buy a Springfield XD in 9mm. My G19 is accurate and reliable, but I hate making the mental adjustment for the grip angle (which is another thread running right now, by the way). If I point my G19 at something naturally, I then have to rotate my wrist down to actually look down the sights. The XD would give me everything that my G19 would, without that. It makes it hard to shoot my G19 back to back with other pistols. The SA is reliable, just as cheap (or cheaper), and seems to do everything well. My G19 was a gift from a close friend, so it's not going anywhere, and I do have other handguns. I like having a consistant trigger (instead of traditional DA/SA), and having NO external safety to manually turn on or off. I'd go 9mm, so I could afford to shoot it. A lot. You wouldn't go wrong with a Sig or a Glock, or some of the other great choices out there, but if I were about to buy my FIRST semi-auto centerfire handgun that would be doing several things (carry concealed, home defense, target, etc), that's what I would do. Not what you would have thought from a guy calling himself "Glockamolie", right?

To find out about what you should be paying, go to www.gunbroker.com, and do a search for the different models. You'll see what people are actually trying to get for them.

rockclimberSH
September 19, 2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, lets keep them coming. To answer your question I plan to use the gun for target and home defense, although it will be locked up at home. I don't mind going used as long as I can ensure high quality/reliability. I have heard good things about Sig's CPO program. Any thoughts or places where I can go to buy? Also, can I buy a gun online? Do I have to go to a brick and mortar store? I am in Louisville, KY with a NY driver's license. Will it be hard to get a permit?

KingofAttendance
September 19, 2006, 10:18 PM
for 9mm user friendly I would go for either a browning hi power or a sig definately, great choice already either will be fine

but just to play devil's advocate, look up Kahr 9's too, as well as springfield armory xd's. can't say anything about the new taurus 24/7, but apparently it's just as good. can't go wrong with a beretta either.

kozak6
September 19, 2006, 11:53 PM
If price is important, Ruger's pistols are quite good, and cost less than the ones you named. They are kind of blocky, though.

chris in va
September 20, 2006, 12:02 AM
I think you'd do just fine with a Sig 226. I didn't like them at first but my 220 changed all that. Being your first pistol the 9mm would be a cost effective way to get introduced and still have enough punch to protect in a 'situation'.

You can find decent used ones for 2/3 of new prices, if not less.

Or, maybe a CZ PCR/P01 and get the extra .22 Kadet kit for it.:D

Mosin44az
September 20, 2006, 12:56 AM
Both Glock and SIG are among the top brands. The big difference between them is the construction and the trigger. The P229 and 226 SIGs should have less recoil because of the heavier alloy frame, but will be heavier to carry. If you want a DA/SA trigger on the SIG, make sure you can reach the trigger without any stretching, it's a longer pull than the Glock for sure. SIG has a shorter trigger as an option, and also has the much lighter DAK ( a very light DAO trigger) on several models.

I suggest starting with a 9mm, and join in suggesting the versatile Glock 19 as a first gun. I switched to the Glock from a Springfield XD9, because of more confidence in Glock's reliability, and a striker which, when cocked, is under less tension and thus , I feel, is better suited for being left as a loaded house gun.

Guns generally sell for less than MSRP. The Glock 19 goes for $469 plus tax in Phoenix, recently. SIGs are more expensive, but they do sell those "factory used" SIGS with the blue bands around them, which are less expensive but should still be good.

MichaelScott
September 21, 2006, 01:53 PM
Beretta PX4 Storm. Great gun and cheaper then a Sig.

rellascout
September 21, 2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, lets keep them coming. To answer your question I plan to use the gun for target and home defense, although it will be locked up at home. I don't mind going used as long as I can ensure high quality/reliability. I have heard good things about Sig's CPO program. Any thoughts or places where I can go to buy? Also, can I buy a gun online? Do I have to go to a brick and mortar store? I am in Louisville, KY with a NY driver's license. Will it be hard to get a permit?

You will have to get a KY Drivers Lic unless you are in KY for active military duty. You must to be a legal resident of the state in order to purchase a gun in that state.

If you are military I am sure other active duty member can tell you how to get that done.

springmom
September 21, 2006, 02:07 PM
My first was an XD-40 and I've never regretted it for a second. Great first gun. Easy to disassemble, a dream to shoot, it hits what you point at, and a lot cheaper than a Sig and somewhat cheaper than a Glock. Sigs also have that tough DA trigger that personally I wouldn't recommend for a first semiauto.

But mostly, find the one that fits your hand and that you can shoot accurately. Glock is a good choice, XD is a good choice (better for me than Glock, but Glocks are terrific guns) and of course there's also 1911's, full size or compact. I know some folks will say no to a 1911 for a first, but apart from being somewhat tricky (ok, a LOT tricky :D ) to reassemble the first few times you do it, they're terrific guns.

Try a bunch more before you buy, try the XD for sure, see if you can get a chance to shoot a 1911.

Happy shooting, and welcome to the addiction....!

Springmom

Freetacos
September 21, 2006, 02:21 PM
you would be pleased with an XD

Ace On The Line
September 21, 2006, 02:53 PM
Sig:D

malix
September 21, 2006, 02:55 PM
Beretta PX4 Storm. Great gun and cheaper then a Sig.

I bought myself one of these as my first handgun a few months ago, and i couldnt be happier with it. In fact, im going to be sneaking out of work a little bit early today to take it to the range. :D

thebaldguy
September 21, 2006, 06:41 PM
Try some out if you can. Many ranges have pistols you can try out. Take your time, do some homework, and shop around.

I would recommend a 9MM for a first pistol. Ammo is cheap and recoil is light.

rockclimberSH
September 21, 2006, 06:52 PM
I think I have become sold on the sig 229R after handling shooting it chambered in 9mm. I will try and see if I can shoot the baretta and XD as well. They seem more economical but everything I read says Sig is the best. I don't mind spending a few hundred more for that piece of mind. I was also considering Sigs CPO program. Anyone have experience with this or know dealers that seel CPO Sigs?

Thanks for all your insight!

kgeter
September 21, 2006, 07:09 PM
for a first gun that you dont seem to plan on carrying it looks like your making a list of kinda high priced wepons, i second the ruger as a choice. i know its not a sig or glock, but go shoot one and compare prices and you may be suprised. you can get a new p95 for the same price or less than a used glock or sig. just my opinion.

Kevin

hodaka
September 21, 2006, 07:36 PM
I doubt you will need a "permit" in Kentucky. It is light years away from New York, California and New Jersey. You will need to be a resident of the state however. 9 mm is a good choice as are Sigs, Glock, Ruger and HK.

Pharmer
September 21, 2006, 08:38 PM
It's been a couple of years since I lived in Louisville, but i'm pretty sure that there are a couple of gun shops/ranges with quite a few rentals. I had just located them when we had to move. I think they're up on the northwest side of town. Just call and ask around somebody should know the name of the place. Anyway try some out before you decide.
And you don't need a permit to open carry, just for concealed and from what I hear it's pricey and time consuming to get one.

rockclimberSH
September 25, 2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely look into the XD-9 as well. I was kinda steering away from polymer framed guns. What are some of the drawbacks to 'plastic' weapons?

Ichiro
September 25, 2006, 07:26 PM
I don't like poly guns either. They shoot fine, but they don't feel so good in my hand.

Aluminum-framed guns are still pretty light, but feel much more substantial to me.

We have an old Sig 226, which is just a perfect 9mm.
We recently tried out a new CZ-P01, which is even more perfect in terms of handling characteristics.

So, from experience, I recommend a used Sig 226 or a new CZ-P01. I love high-cap 9s. .380 does absolutely nothing for me.

I'd like to try the 19-round CZ SP-01. 19 rounds and it's a CZ!

Glockamolie
September 25, 2006, 07:40 PM
What are some of the drawbacks to 'plastic' weapons?

Some solvents can damage the polymer, or so I've heard. I've never seen it or experienced it. Otherwise, it's lightweight and tough. The metal frames of others may feel more substantial than polymer, but I don't believe they are.

bobbg
September 25, 2006, 08:03 PM
I don't mean to hijack Rockclimber's thread but I am also looking for a starter semi auto pistol. I have been looking at a Bersa thunder 380 but I dont see much written about it. Does anyone have input on this piece, dependability, reliability etc? Cost is reasonable. What is it copied after?
Bob

Mark54g
September 25, 2006, 08:23 PM
Good list, but you can also add:

CZ 75/PCR/P-01/SP-01

Beretta PX4 or the Stoeger Cougar (essentially the same gun, but made with a metal frame, used to be made by Beretta, but now made by a company they own on their old machines.

FN or Browning HiPower

auberg
September 25, 2006, 08:30 PM
I currently live in Louisville, (actually I have all my life.) there are a couple of indoor ranges here in town. One is downtown on Second street, just south of Broadway by a couple of blocks. Ray Yeager, owns or runs it, I'm not sure on the details on that, but Ray has been around shooting here for years. Its called Sportshooters. I've been there a couple of times, and it is a good facility. Also, there is Bluegrass indoor range, which is a lot closer, like a couple of miles, from my house. So I pop over there easily. This is another very good facility. Then there is Knob Creek, which is an outdoor range that is famous for their machine gun shoot. It is a bit of a haul, as it is just over the county line to the south of Louisville. But it is where you can go to shoot your rifles.

As far as your Sig, you may want to check out Kieslers in Jeffersonville. They are a Sig dealer. You will have to have it transferred to Kentucky, but Kieslers has a list of FFLs across the river. They do it all the time.

Hope that helps.

FS2K
September 25, 2006, 08:31 PM
A beginner may get discouraged with shooting a G23. The "Snappy" and somewhat heavy recoil of the .40 Ca. S&W round makes any handgun a little harder to handle, especially a compact like the G23.

A G19 (basically a 9MM version of the G23) would make an excellent choice and would be my pick over the full sized G17. The compact is balanced better and is easier to learn on.

FirstFreedom
September 25, 2006, 11:18 PM
Get the Sig 226 - you said it felt good - that's a key component - and it's a great gun. I'd spring for the "ST" version of the 226 if I were you. Only thing better than a Sig is a STEEL Sig! :) (well that and a CZ)

rgunt
September 26, 2006, 06:01 AM
Glock is offering direct pricing to GSSF members. Membership is only $35.00 a year. Go to http://www.gssfonline.com for theses prices:

$398.20 for the G-17, G-19, G-26 ,G-22 ,G-23 ,G-27 ,G-31 ,G-32 ,G-33

nmshooter
September 26, 2006, 07:35 AM
My first hangun was an XD 9MM. I sold it and bought a 24/7 Pro .40. I really regret not buying what I really wanted right away; a Sig, or a Hi-Power. Id reccomend a Sig or your preference, a Hi-Power, or if you dont want to spend the money go for a CZ.

Pilot
September 26, 2006, 07:50 AM
Or, maybe a CZ PCR/P01 and get the extra .22 Kadet kit for it.

That's great advice. The CZ-75D "PCR" is a great choice for both carry and range. If you are dead set on a Sig, the P228 would be my choice. THe Kadet Kit is a wonderful addition for practice and is quite accurate.

1911austin
September 26, 2006, 08:46 AM
Just get a 1911 and be done with it. You will eventually end up buying one.

Houndog
September 26, 2006, 09:40 AM
Austin - I'm also a huge 1911 fan and agree that eventually everyone should have at least one in their collection, but for a first gun, I think the poster would be better served with a SIG or an XD in 9mm.

Don't have any experience with the XD, but I do own a SIG 226 (it was actually my first handgun). Gun would make an excellent choice, particularly if you don't have plans on concealed carry. The 226 is accurate, reliable, easy to operate, and well made. Because it's heavier, recoil won't be much of issue. This is important if you're just starting out, because it will minimize you're natural instinct to flinch a little when you pull the trigger. Until you eliminate this tendency, it will be the biggest obstacle to accurate shot placement. (That's why I'd wait a while on the 1911).

Lucky 7
September 26, 2006, 11:38 AM
Look into the older polymer SIG (the SP2009). Lacks the ugly (imho) rail found on the newer ones.

My first was a CZ-75, then a Witness Carry-Comp in .45, then a BE 9mm. Of my first three the BE was the most accurate, comfortable (IMO), and user friendly.

Make a wise and informed choice and DONT second guess yourself. Buyers remorse is the worst :D

Regards,
-L7

2ndamd
September 26, 2006, 11:48 AM
+1 for the Beretta Px4 Storm.......9mm.

JoshB
September 26, 2006, 12:17 PM
Just get a 1911 and be done with it. You will eventually end up buying one.

I don't know if you'll eventually end up w/ a 1911 - everyone has different tastes/priorities in what they think is important.

If you want an accurate pistol with a consistant light trigger [improves accuracy], and an external safety [you can't "accidently" shoot it], go with a 1911. If you want accuracy, extra bulk, no external safety [one less thing to mess around with], a heavy trigger pull [decreases accuracy unless you learn to get past it], at a reasonable price, get a glock. If you want a little extra bulk, a heavy DA/SA trigger [definately decreases accuracy] w/ a safety take your pick from any # of brands.

You didn't mention concealed carry. If this is something you want to do, I'd really suggest a 1911 or a light revolver. I used to carry a high-cap pistol, but it was just too much (especially since I moved down south and t-shirts are the norm). 1911's are much simpler to operate and clean once you know what you're doing. If you don't know how, just ask someone and they'll explain it to you.

Also think about what kind of extra's you want. At first this didn't matter too much to me, but after purchasing my Kimber TLE, I really like the night sights, extended slide & mag release, match trigger, etc etc. Think about what is important to you, and then find a pistol that either has those options at a workable price or one that you can modify as your budget increases.

springmom
September 26, 2006, 12:17 PM
My first handgun was the XD-40. Ignore that man behind the curtain :D ... the XD in .40 is just fine for a new shooter. Accurate, totally manageable recoil and easy to disassemble/reassemble. Great ergonomics. A great gun.

An XD is an ideal first semiauto.

Springmom

JoeBannon
September 26, 2006, 02:31 PM
Sig P226 with DAK.

rockclimberSH
September 29, 2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions... its all good food for thought. Who would have thought that buying a handgun would involve so many choices. Its worse than shopping cars! For some reason I keep salivating over the idea of a 229 with Hogue finger grips....

But then I look at the P239... but don't like the looks of it as much. Then I look at the SP2022 but then I worry if I'll like the polymer frame. Sheesh. I think I'm just going to keep shooting them for awhile and decide after more range time.

BUSTER51
September 29, 2006, 06:53 PM
Sig p226,Browning High Power,CZ75,Sig Pro 2340,Sig P229,check them all out and buy what feels right to you.:D

P97
September 29, 2006, 07:44 PM
Everyone has an opinion as to what is best. I could buy any handgun I want and my choice is a Ruger KP97DC. It is my CCW and I would stake my life, that when I pull the trigger it will fire. There are a lot of good guns, but this is the one that I shoot best. I think it is very important that you get what you shoot best, because shot placement is as important as reliability.

Ossi_v
September 30, 2006, 04:54 PM
One vote for Springfield XD 9mm. I have tried many guns, this is my current favorite. I think 9mm caliber optimal for a beginner (and many others), enough power (stops well with JHP), not too much recoil, fast to learn, fast follow up shots.

Ossi

FirstFreedom
September 30, 2006, 05:16 PM
Are you guys sure the Kadet will fit on the PCR/P01 CZs? I thought they only worked on full-sized CZ 75s/85s?