PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 Mags?

9guy
September 17, 2006, 01:59 AM
Are Eagle mags ok, or should I pay twice the price for Butler Creek or Ramline?

FS2K
September 17, 2006, 05:47 AM
But you get what you pay for. If you want some durable magazines, save up and get some "Steel Lips" magazines. They may be expensive, but they last WAY longer than plastic feeder lip magazines.

UniversalFrost
September 17, 2006, 05:55 AM
The eagle mags are ok, but have had varioust feeding problems with them and they don't seem to last as long as the steel or hot lips. As far as the durability of the steel lips vs plastic like the hot lips I have seem no difference with them yet (+5000 rds through several of each) over the years except for the added cost for the steel lips. One thing to watch out for is the double stack 50rd mags. Stay away from them unless you want a jam fest (my experience with 3 different 10/22's). Instead go with the single stack 50rds mags and you will have no problem.

kozak6
September 17, 2006, 03:34 PM
I agree that the 50 round Ramline double stack magazines are problematic. You can't load 20 rounds before your thumbs start to bleed. Also, the front locking tab dealy actually got stuck in my 10/22, and snapped off in there. Perhaps you should avoid Ramline in general.

Um, where do you get single stack 50 rounders?

Have they been produced since the AWB expired?

UniversalFrost
September 17, 2006, 03:40 PM
The single stack are the tear drop design. Also get one of the auto loades from butler creek or ramline. I have both and they have loaded thousands of rounds without the bloody thumbs. Also get an aftermarket mag release and bolt release for the 10/22. I hate the factory designed releases on these guns, othewise they are great!

3 weelin geezer
September 17, 2006, 05:07 PM
Don't get the ramline. I got a couple of 50 rd double stack and they either jammed or one started to split at the top after only 300 rds. Because of this about 6 rds down, they would start to try to turn under the spring pressure and jam up inside. I tried dry lubricant only to end up with black hands. I threw it down range and shot one of them. I still have the other I think or maybe I left it there. I now have an eagle 30 rd steel lip type and havent noticed any wear on the lips compared to those ramlines. It works like the factory mag with no problems. I also have a loader for the ramlines and it would dent the cartridge while inserting it.

JohnKSa
September 17, 2006, 05:13 PM
Perhaps you should avoid Ramline in general.Beats me how they stay in business. I've thrown away every product I've ever bought from them except the last. I kept the piece of garbage to remind me never to buy a Ramline product again.

Tom2
September 17, 2006, 05:25 PM
I used to use the old Ramline mags all the time without any problems. I think I mostly had the 25 or 30 rounders, or something like that, not the huge 50 rounders. I think I only had problems with the Federal truncated cones feeding but that might have been with ruger mags too. Round nosed bullets were all OK. Now these were mags way back preban, way preban, but I liked the ones that were clear on one side. Never split or malfed. Little bit of wear on the plastic lips after awhile but not bad. I had one double stack ramline that I kept during the ban when I had no 10-22. I sold it used for 60$ at a gunshow! Not bad for a piece of junk! The guy put it on his table then, for alot more than that! I think the 25 rd mags were single stack, maybe that affects rel.

Mad Cow
September 17, 2006, 10:06 PM
I use the butler creek mags & Hot Lips Loader. Makes loading the mags a lot easier.

http://butlercreek.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=9005344&catky=&subcatky1=&subcatky2=

CERBERUS
September 17, 2006, 10:17 PM
idk, i have two ramline 50s and me and a friend put around 500 rounds through them today, they still work fine. one was shot for the first time today, but i have one i have put 200 rounds through and i still get full mag dumps if my rifle is clean.

I did polish the lips on the one i have been using, just took a felt wheel and went over it, removed some burs and rounded the corners off more.

I want to move into the steel lips mags, but i havn't found a 50rnd one yet, besided that tear drop, and i like the double stacks.

also, tacticalinnovations has an al body steel liped 30rounder that you can take apart to clean.

270Win
September 17, 2006, 11:59 PM
Eagle mags have lifetime warranties - if they fail, send 'em back! I have maybe 15 of them, no problems.

The best, by far, are the Butler Crek Steel Lips. Very high quality.

I have one RamLine 50-rounder, it works fine provided my GM barrel accepts whatever ammo is in it. It has a tight chamber, and will jam on some of the cheaper stuff. Not the mag's fault, though.

Crosshair
September 18, 2006, 12:01 AM
So are those 50 round drum/teardrop magazines worth the cost. They seem kind of neat, can you take them apart to clean?

Maser
September 18, 2006, 12:09 AM
I have 3 Ramline mags. One is 50 rounds and the other two are 30. Them mags are older than I am and they still work great. I would however like to get steel lipped mags, but don't really have the money to waste on one. These 3 mags work just fine so why fix something that doesn't need fixing.

threegun
September 18, 2006, 05:05 AM
Eagle mags are crap. I have 20 of them for sale 7 bucks each. I prefer the Butler creek hot lips mags and older ramline mags........if money is a problem. If money is no problem get the expensive all metal mags.

Moloch
September 18, 2006, 09:52 PM
I'll buy a ruger 10/22 very soon and Im just interested, are there any common 15 round mags which function well? :confused:

The 25 round-magazines are a bit too big for my taste, the 10-rounders are too small. 15 would be perfect.:)

Thanks

Ben Shepherd
September 19, 2006, 08:43 AM
Get the "stell lips" design. They are pricey. BUT WORTH IT!!

threegun
September 19, 2006, 04:38 PM
the old ramline 25 rounders were very compact. Much shorter than the butler creek 25's. Might fit your needs better Moloch.

bigghoss
September 19, 2006, 05:10 PM
my dad and I went shooting with our rugers yesterday and shot a full brick. he had a 50rd ramline and I had 2 butler creek mags. I have had a total of 4 of the butler creek and one was giving me some problems, it seamed to just not fit snug in the gun but neither did the other one and it didn't seam to give me any problems and neither did the frist two I had. my dad's 50rd ramline seamed to just need alittle filing in the front between the feed lips but we haven't tried yet.

shaggy
September 19, 2006, 08:08 PM
Or you can pay even more but get the very best 10/22 mags ever made. Machined aluminum body and replaceable steel feed lips.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/ti25-machined-aluminum-steel-lipbrmagazine-ruger-1022-p-212.html

270Win
September 19, 2006, 10:22 PM
Impressive!

threegun
September 20, 2006, 05:42 AM
Awesome mag but 5 butler creek mag which work fine to one super mag??????maybe if I was wealthy.