PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1911A1 with WWII heritage

cavediver27
September 2, 2006, 06:00 AM
I'm looking for some opinions. I have a WWII era Colt 1911A1 marked US Army serial #937xxx with the original bakelite grips and 95% original parkerized finish and works 100%. Records have it being shipped to the South Pacific in 1943. It just sits in my gun safe as it has for 25 years and doesn't see any use and isn't on 'display' for others to enjoy.

If it were yours would you keep it a safe queen and just be content knowing it's there or would you sell it and buy something that you would use? In my case I'd like to have something like a nice Colt Commander, Kimber or maybe a Springfield XD45. Either of those would definitely see some use.

Any thoughts?

Majic
September 2, 2006, 06:18 AM
It's not like most military guns are rare. Check to see if it's a rebuild model. I would shoot it as it's made with much better parts than the newer ones you mentioned (except the sights).

Hawken1911
September 2, 2006, 06:52 AM
I have a pre WWI Colt, all original at about 90%, and I shoot it once a year.

I love vintage Colts and really wanted one, but like you struggled with having an expensive collectable just sitting in storage. So I changed out the springs, barrel, and slidestop (the things most likely to wear out or break), and added a Wilson Combat Shok Buff pad. I still only put a couple magazines of ammo through it about once a year, but I get satisfaction from owning and firing a vintage piece. I feel better about doing it with my temporary, drop-in modifications. In no time, the original parts could be put back in and it's back to 100% original for resale value.

Even if you wouldn't consider firing yours, and a lot of collectors wouldn't, you might feel better about holding on to it as an investment. Sometime last year one of the gun periodicals had an article about collecting vintage 1911's compared to common investment such as real estate, stocks, gold, etc. The yearly increase in the value of the 1911's recently far out ways the returns on all the other investments. With the explosion of 1911 clones out there and the ever growing popularity of the model, I think you will continue to have new people hankering for vintage models, and the prices will keep climbing. Wait another 5 years until 2011 when the original model is 100 years old. I think the prices in the collectors market will sky-rocket.

flusher
September 2, 2006, 08:22 AM
1943 Colt 1911A1
1951 Colt Government 45

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l75/p0838/GUNCOLTS-1.jpg

VUPDblue
September 2, 2006, 08:59 AM
I have a 1911A1 that was issued to my Grandfather when he was a Marine MP stationed on the island of Tinnean in the Pacific in 1942. He kept his sidearm after he retired from the Corps and it has been handed down to my father, and now to me. It is not a colt, but a Union Signal & Switch contract production. It is a safe queen to me, however I do shoot it occasionally. After all, that is what Papaw would have wanted. It is a very sacred heirloom and I want to enjoy it for the rest of my life, and then hand it down to my children. I figure it is better protected in a 3000# safe than in any sort of display. If yours has no personal significance, I would say you would be better off getting something you really want, and can enjoy on a more frequent basis.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17847&d=1141007304
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17848&d=1141007469

XavierBreath
September 2, 2006, 09:26 AM
There are several ways to enjoy firearms. One is to shoot them. Another is to take them out and share them with like minded friends. If you are not doing either, then it is likely you are not deriving any pleasure from this gun. In that case, I would recommend selling it and getting something that you will enjoy.

Bentonville
September 3, 2006, 07:50 AM
If you had a Fayetteville rifle from the Civil War, War Between the States, War for Southern Independence, etc...would you want to get rid of it or keep it and have a part of the great history of our nation in your own posession? In my mind there is no question. The 1911A1 will be in the same venerable position in history in another 30 -50 years. To some it is already there. You can afford to keep it and save for the shooters you want. A gun with WW2 provenance is more than just a gun. It has been there!!!
I thought the arms were shipped within the States by the manufacturers and then the military took possession and shipped. Did you get your verification of shipping from the Military records or the Manufacturer? Interesting to me. Thanks for posting.

TacticalDefense1911
September 3, 2006, 11:43 AM
It sounds like a you have a very nice piece, but I do not believe that I would make it a safe queen. These guns are nice collector pieces but unless it was of WWI vintage I would not worry about it. You can still take great care of it and take it out every once in a while and put some rounds through it...thats part of the fun. Unless you like to collect I would sell it and get something else if that is what you really want to do.

Esquire M Busterbury
September 3, 2006, 01:36 PM
It's already been to hell & back, what's a trip to the range? Shoot it.