PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions re: shotguns

jcoiii
August 24, 2006, 07:23 PM
I did a quick search in the shotgun forums, but couldn't find too much so I'll ask.

I'm mostly a handgunner. But I have shot shotguns (mostly police academy and the like) and am planning on getting one for myself. I have the chance to get a mossberg 12ga with a 3 round shell holder (is it called a magazine?) for pretty cheap. However, I will want to have a shorter barrel as well as a higher capacity. I might also want to change the stock from wood to composite. Is that a big deal? And would I be better off just buying a gun with the barrel/capacity that I want instead?

Thanks longgunners,
JC

Dfariswheel
August 24, 2006, 10:35 PM
Due to the low prices of the Mossberg's, and the fact that in order to change to longer magazines you have to buy a new barrel and magazine assembly, I'd just buy the gun I wanted.

Unlike the Remington 870, the Mossberg 500 has a lug and screw brazed to the barrel that screws into the end of the magazine tube to retain the barrel assembly.

Since this lug is made to fit a certain length of magazine, it can't be fitted to a longer magazine OR a shorter magazine.

By the time you buy a new barrel, new magazine assembly, and new stocks, you'll probably be over the price of a new gun.

Maser
August 25, 2006, 03:14 AM
You can have the best of both worlds by getting the KNOXX drum magazine system and have an 18.5" barrel. The magazine system is a little pricey, but I have heard great things about it.

Para Bellum
August 25, 2006, 04:30 AM
I assume you want the gun to save your life when neccessary. It might turn out to be the most important buy of your life. I wouldn't mind the price of a Benelli M4 Super 90 and go for the best:

http://www.benelli.it/images/Image.asp?ID=536

http://www.benelli.it/Articoli/Famiglie.asp?IDTipo=1&ID=1

jcoiii
August 25, 2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks, Dfaris, that's what I needed to know

mr00jimbo
August 25, 2006, 03:33 PM
870! :D
But a Mossberg 20" model can hold up to 9 rounds IIRC.

jcoiii
August 25, 2006, 04:35 PM
Yeah, i like the 870 too, but I'm not set on a particular model. I've shot both and am comfortable with the controls on either. I think i'll take the advice and just get an 870 or mossberg how I want it instead of finding a cheap one and then modifying it.