PDA

View Full Version : The 92fs

Love&Hate12
August 24, 2006, 04:55 AM
In my opinion the 92fs is one of the most elegant semi-autos around today. In the shooting community at least in Florida I don't see it get a whole lot of circulation like the Glocks and Sigs do.

Is this because it is the military sidearm?

In my opinion it is rather large, but slim and can be carried succesfully, and it is also a tack driver that will digest anything.

What is your personal take on the 92fs?

CDH
August 24, 2006, 06:11 AM
I've got the Centurian model which is exactly the same as the military except that the barrel itself is 1/4" shorter so that it's flush with the end of the slide (I think it's prettier and with no loss of accuracy).

It's a great pistol, but I (personally) don't think it's that well suited for a CCW pistol. I get 16 rounds of 9mm in a much smaller package with my XD9SubC, and if I'm dressed to where I can carry a larger pistol, I can take either my XD45/4" or Colt LTW CommanderXSE.

So the '92 is a great pistol in it's own right and you can carry it if you can hide it. It's just that there are now a lot more choices for CCW that stepped in line of the '92.

Carter

TNT
August 24, 2006, 08:27 AM
Good gun but I have problems trying to justify the high price so many others I could get for better or equal value IMO

IM_Lugger
August 24, 2006, 09:19 AM
IMO Berettas are very reasonably priced; I would find it hard to justify SIGs or HKs price tag though...

I love 92's what can I say. They have it all; great looks, reliability, egronomics (for me). A must have for every gun owner. :)

even John Woo likes them :p

The Body Bagger
August 24, 2006, 01:36 PM
The 92FS is a fantastic firearm. Its my personal favorite. I'm not sure I understand the "high price" thing? Equal value in other firearms? Ok thats personal preference. Seriously though how can the Beretta be considered high priced but others are at an equal value? Better value? Again thats personal perception. Beretta 92FS are listed at $489 brand new where I live. I'm not sure how anyone can complain about that?

hot sauce
August 24, 2006, 02:55 PM
The older stainless models are awesome.

sig226man
August 24, 2006, 03:03 PM
I prefer the older Italian fs models. They had the straight dustcovers, all metal controls/guide rod and didn't have the elaborate scrollwork reminding us to read the manuals before operating. They just looked better and their fit and finish was excellent, particularly the Inox models. I also like the old metal bases on the mags since they were color coordinated with the pistol: black or inox.

Matt Sutton
August 24, 2006, 08:06 PM
I don't think I've ever heard the 92 described as elegant before. I've always considered it a big fat brick.

topspin43
August 24, 2006, 08:21 PM
I had a 92 Stainless Italian Pistol... and I agree, it is one beautiful weapon. I had to sell it because my hands are a little small and that grip is emormus! Couldn't hit anything with it!

shield20
August 24, 2006, 08:31 PM
With a barrel of 4.92" they are HUGE! A GREAT duty gun. but a bit much for standard CCW. Just not as handy as the mid sized pieces.

JohnKSa
August 24, 2006, 08:40 PM
I've always thought that the stainless 92FS is one of the best looking pistols on the market. Oddly enough, the Bruniton finished models don't look that good to me.

Kermit
August 24, 2006, 08:51 PM
I have an Italian 92 Centrion and an inox Italian 92fs...love'em both, have almost 18,000 through them respectively. They're great guns w/ a good number of fans :cool:

Wildcard
August 24, 2006, 09:04 PM
A GREAT duty gun. but a bit much for standard CCW

I disagree. You can CCW a full size beretta....Trust me, it can be done, and you can be comfortable doing it.

Arizona Fusilier
August 24, 2006, 10:06 PM
"Elegant"? Hmmmm.....

Mine is my desert open carry gun. While I have no doubt some CCW it, I've got more practical choices in that department.

Dreadnought
August 25, 2006, 12:11 AM
I like the M9 version, "The Gun that defends America". I've got one with the straight dustcover, without the rails it is very elegant. INOX is too flashy for my tastes but it definitely looks good. Bruniton all the way for me, please. I have considered it for CCW, but I bought my PX4 for that. It's shorter, but a little wider out front, yet being 20+1 with high-cap mags sold me.

ImprezaSTI
August 25, 2006, 01:20 AM
I like the M9 also. Many people say it's too heavy and bulky but I find the weight to be very well balanced and the grip feels good in my medium-sized hands.
It is certainly one of the most underrated guns IMO and it's hard to beat it's combo of reliability, accuracy, and aesthetics.

death2twinkys
August 25, 2006, 02:59 AM
I have to side with good old fasion American 1911 over the 92, but in fairness I love the look and feel of the 92. Around here for a new one or even one in decent condition your looking at about $550-$600, and for that I could get the PX4 or an XD. It's quite sad what bad dealers can do to the image of a great weapon.

918v
August 25, 2006, 10:14 AM
I like the 92 as well, but I hate Beretta USA customer service. They are ARSCHOLES!

The gun, onve worked over, has a very nice, light, crisp single action pull and it is well made. I wish they hadn't cut the relief under the beavertail, though. I like the original grip shape.

Duxman
August 25, 2006, 11:49 AM
My first love in pistols is and always will be my M92.

A big influence from the Mel Gibson Lethal Weapon movies, and Bruce Willis in die hard, this gun is accurate, nice trigger and yes, quite beautiful.

:cool:

The epitome of cool.

shurshot
August 25, 2006, 06:32 PM
OK, I'm a new poster, but I have been reading this forum for months. This post got me interested enough to join. :) I agree, the 92FS is one of the best large frame autos out there. I have wondered why there doesn't appear to be many supporters of the 92FS on this forum. I just picked one up from a friend; it shoots everything, handles nice (I have lg hands), and although I love my SW 39-2 (a family heirloom), and 3913TSW for carrying on hikes through the woods, but they now have to share the spotlight, as soon as I get a holster to fit this 92FS. I used to carry a 1911A1 .45 ACP years ago for self defense and in loafing in the woods, but the weight got to be a bit much. I went through the stages of carrying a SW 10 loaded with .38 +P's, and a SW 66 with .357's, but now I am sold on the 9MM hull and the guns that fit it. Oh sure, I own/love .44 mags, a .41, .357's, and my .45 auto etc., but for all around use, the 9mm is hard to beat.The 92FS has a 15 round clip, and with hollowpoints I can't have a more comfortable weight on my hip. True, the 92FS is not much lighter than the .45 Auto, but I don't need to carry an extra clip or shells, so the 92FS still comes out ahead. Plus, this one is so damm accurate, it is perfect for small game... and if a bear or wild dog attacked (not high on my list of concerns, but a still possibility), I'm confident 2 or 3 quick shots would stop or at least slow down any threat. Anyway, with a 15 shot clip and knowing I need to hit the brain/spinal cord area on any critter large or small, I'm confident in the caliber. The 3 dot sight system in quick on the target, the trigger is smooth, no grit or drag, and the overall size of the 92FS is comparable to my old SW 66 .357 Mag which held 6 shots. I was trained in the use of the 96 .40SW a few years back on a tactical team, and although I didn't feel the .40 SW was the "wonder bullet" that everyone seems to worship (A good 9MM or .45ACP, or .22LR for that matter in a vital spot would be just as effective IMHO), the gun itself was hard to miss with. The pistol's design, when kept clean and oiled, is foolproof. OK, enough from the newbie, I just think the 92FS is a good solid design that is overlooked and or discredited by some. The US military made a good choice with this gun. I didn't feel this way years back, as I am/was an long time .45 fan, but after shooting these 92FS wondernines, I am sold.:) :) :)

Larry C.
August 25, 2006, 09:02 PM
Howdy,

My Beretta 92's have literally been perfect, in terms of reliability. I've put over 6,000 rounds through two of them ( 6K through one and 200+ through the other) and they've digested and fired a variety of FMJ and HP ammo from thier Beretta mags.
I can understand why Shurshot likes the Beretta 92FS as a "trail" gun. It came in handy for dispatching one half of a pair of feral dogs who seemingly were working as a team; they approached my wife and I as we were enjoying an afternoon picnic here in NW La. As they approached, they showed no signs of "dog body language" friendliness, prefering to crouch and approach from opposite flanks!
I calmly rose, drew, aimed and fired at the largest German Shepard -esque mutt who appeared to weigh a good 45 lbs. My 92 barked, he yelped and high-tailed it in the opposite direction. I turned 180 degrees to find that his smaller "partner" was already gone. My wife was glad I brought the Beretta 92! ;)

Larry C.

EIGHTYDUECE
August 25, 2006, 10:08 PM
I have heard that the newer 92FS pistols have some plastic parts.

I know about the plastic guide rod. What, if any, are the other parts made of plastic?

JohnKSa
August 25, 2006, 10:38 PM
Some are plastic, some are plastic over a metal core.

Trigger, safety/decock levers, guide rod and maybe others. I don't know all of them.