PDA

View Full Version : A sad AR story.

Death from Afar
August 22, 2006, 06:14 PM
So.

I picked up my COlt HBAR AR15. Very , very tidy, virtually new. No external wear, gun closed like a bank vault. I should add that Ar15's were banned from import in the early '90s. Its a bit of a long story, but they are quite pricey in NZ as there is only a limited number avalible. ( I had hucked out quite a few guns that I just wasnt using and planned to the use the HBAR as a competition gun).

Anyway, pleased as punch, I went round to my gunsmiths house for him to make admiring noises and see what magic he suggested. He picked it up, grunted that it was tidy and tight, and put a bore scope down the barrel. After a few seconds he said I word that I wont repeat on this board but it was along the lines of " $@#%&@! This rifle is $@#%&@'ed!" I went " what do you mean" and had a look down the bore.

Until the gas port, the barrel was fine, and showed no wear of any note. AFTER the gas port, for about two inches the barrel was pitted. And I mean Pitted. We are talking the Somme after the shelling, the Ho chi Min trail after B52's had been through. My smith said, "dude, take it back, this is junk".

I had a look down the bore, and could just, when the light was right, see a small amount of pitting, but it looked like gunk trapped on oil. Ony the bore scope revealled the problem.

I was very disappointed and took the HBAR back. The shop was awesome, they were as surprised as I was and immediatly offered me my money back, or a loan of a A2 upper until the HBAR barrel was fixed, I took the latter. They even threw in a pile of magazines, which was nice.

Lessons: Always bore scope a second hand gun, and get it checked out by a good gunsmith on purchase.

Scorch
August 22, 2006, 06:20 PM
Sounds like a good excuse for a match grade barrel to me!

FirstFreedom
August 22, 2006, 07:03 PM
That's a GOOD gunshop. Coulda been a lot sadder. Hope they don't pawn it off on someone else.

Hans
August 22, 2006, 09:22 PM
If I were you, I would continue to use that gunshop for ALL my business. That's some great customer service, and they deserve your thanks (read: money) until they prove unworthy.

Esquire M Busterbury
August 23, 2006, 12:01 AM
Sounds like a happy ar story to me...