PDA

View Full Version : Polish Mosin M44 LESS bayonet lugs ??

kymasabe
August 8, 2006, 05:03 PM
Sorry to drag this up again but I did a search and can't find the information I'm looking for.

I'm pretty sure there was a member who had an excellent condition Polish Mosin M44 that was missing the bayonet lugs. Thought it may have been made that way but general opinion was that the sight/bayo mount was removed and the lugs turned down and mount re-blued and reinstalled.
Does anyone have a link to that post or...more importantly...a picture of the sight mount on that rifle?

Rube
August 8, 2006, 09:39 PM
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinIDII.htm

Compare an M38 to an M44. The M38 is pretty close except it doesn't have the bayonette. Is it possible the M44 w/o bayonette may have simply been an M38?

kozak6
August 8, 2006, 09:53 PM
Without more information or pictures, Rube may be correct.

kymasabe
August 8, 2006, 10:06 PM
Nope, I'm sure wasn't an M38. I own one and know what one looks like. Some other member had a Polish M44 that someone had removed the bayo/sight mount off of, turned on a mill or lathe or something and removed the bayonet lugs, then reblued the thing and reset the mount and repinned it. It was beautiful, not Bubba'd but serious craftsmanship and excellent metalwork. The gun was in pristine condition and he thought it may have been built that way but other members chimed in and said it was gunsmithed and the lugs were removed...cleanly and professionally. After posting this question (and remembering I'm a member of many other forums) I realized I may have seen it somewhere else...but I was pretty sure it was here on the Firing Line that I saw it since I hang out here the most.

l.cutler
August 9, 2006, 04:30 AM
I remember that post, but I think it may have been on another site. I can't remember for sure dthough.

garryc
August 9, 2006, 09:16 AM
Removing the bayonet lug from a M44 would be a garage gunsmith project. A hacksaw, some files, both course and fine, and some emery cloth would be all you would need

dfaugh
August 11, 2006, 07:29 AM
Removing the bayonet lug from a M44 would be a garage gunsmith project. A hacksaw, some files, both course and fine, and some emery cloth would be all you would need

And a little cold blue. You could certainly do a decent job with only hand tools (and a Dremel would help tool). I've done much more difficult "gunsmithing" projects with less.