PDA

View Full Version : Which stock model?

Duffy
August 7, 2006, 10:06 AM
Okay, so this is repititon of something on "The Art of the Rifle" portion, but we seem to have a different cadre here at "The Skunkworks".

I'm having a Montana Rifleman Professional Hunter action (the real magnum action) built for .338 Lapua. It won't be dedicated long range rig, but a GENERAL PURPOSE rifle for close-range deer in the swamps of Michigan, elk in Idaho, and wild boar in Germany and Poland. Production for the action won't commence until December, so time is on my side.

I want nimble handling.

I want some degree of recoil abatement, and muzzle brakes are out of consideration.

I am a small guy, 5-feet 6-inches, with hands small enough to be described as "feminine".

On The Art of the Rifle I received no model suggestions, only names of the manufacturers. I've been in touch with most of them, and received vague descriptions. MPI recommended two models, McMillan said they could recommend none until they get a barreled action to run inletting patterns, Brown Precision recommended nothing, H.S. Precision said I should consider buying a complete rifle and action from them, etc, etc.

What specific model stocks have you tried and recommend?