PDA

View Full Version : From tacticool to tactifool...AK47 style.

Esquire M Busterbury
August 5, 2006, 05:04 PM
Here goes...
65 bucks on a gas tube mount...
25 bucks on synthetic black grips...
80 bucks on a cheapy reflex sight...

Going back to wood grips & iron sights?

-PRICELESS

After going to the range today I shot maybe the worst groups in my LIFE with my precious lil wasr-10. (I'd say 2-3 foot groups at 50 feet! :eek: ) Things tightened up a lil when I put a real optic (Aimpoint M2, 1 foot groups, yay...:( ) on but even then I didn't feel it was worth losing the ironsights. Heck, I couldn't even co witness with the gas tube mount in the way. So after a range trip like that I lost all the tacticool CRAP and put everything back on...except the folding stock. Doesn't even look too bad with the wood accents.

Before-
http://myspace-534.vo.llnwd.net/00939/43/58/939068534_l.jpg
After-
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19718&stc=1&d=1154814836

PS. Gun's nickname? Rusty. (Don't cringe, It's coming off...)

PPS. Range report next weekend?

PPPS. Didja know that the aimpoint is not only faster than ironsights but somehow made me considerably more accurate...very tacticool.

joshua
August 6, 2006, 02:29 AM
If 1 foot groups at 50' is an improvement then you're headed to the right place. Although it's an improvement you can do better than that unless you were shooting offhand and fast taps. josh

Esquire M Busterbury
August 6, 2006, 03:11 AM
I think it was a combination of the mount and the reflex sight. And the planets. And a pretty girl downrange...anything but my superior marksmanship. And it was a 1' group of about 15-20 rounds...Did I mention the sun was in my eyes?

Doubletaptap
August 6, 2006, 03:55 AM
Esquire!! Thanks for the great laugh!! At least you have a humor about it!!
I bought all kinds of aftermarket crap for my Vector AK Classic. Took it to the range and some guys oooohed and ahhhhed! I was the stud of the gun world. Did the same with a SKS.
Both shot like Sh** and I ended up selling the SKS just to get away from it.Not to mention half of the parts didn't want to fit right too.
The AK went home and went back to being a nice wood adorned AK classic that will shoot in the same hole with the original iron sights at 25 yards, and at 50 yards will shoot a quarter size group. I'm sure if I sand bagged it the group would tighten up a little.
Now, tell me about that foxy lady downrange!!!!!:)

joshua
August 6, 2006, 03:59 AM
I've had times like that before. A very cute lady on the next stall just to mess up my shooting. At least I looked cool. josh

still 2 many choices
August 6, 2006, 01:59 PM
Where did you get the folding stock that will fit the WASR 10? PM me with the imfo(brand, cost, and tools to fit it) if you don't mind:cool: ! I plan to keep my WASR as it came, but would like a folding stock too.

Still 2 Many Choices!?

MTMilitiaman
August 6, 2006, 11:57 PM
Some of it is crap, some of it isn't.

The TAPCO Galil style folding stock...crap. The ACE folders--definately not crap.
Pin on thread adaptors for muzzle. Crap. The Krink brake that got launched 20 feet over the side of the hill? Not crap. But still gone.
You can buy a $30 set of el cheapo-plastic handguards. Or you can spend two to three times that much on a good set of military grade handguards with a heat shield. The TDI handguards on mine...not crap.
Optics are one place where deals are relatively rare, and skimping usually doesn't help. The exception is the Russian optics like the Kobra and PK-AS. They run you about $200, which is about half of what American optics of comparible value run. But they are certainly not crap.
Not all crap is aftermarket either. IMO, the standard iron sights are crap. The Mojos are not. The Century trigger that came with mine. Big, stinking pile of crap. The TAPCO G2. Not crap. The Red Star Arms FCG? A bed of rose petals...absolutely sweet.

TDI synthetic handguard set...$90
SOG vertical foregrip...$50
Busting off 3 magazines in a minute without worrying about that stupid metal nail thingy in the wood handguards that came with your WASR, and marvously cool hands inches away from a smoking hot barrel...priceless

And finally, if you are only getting 1 foot groups with your AK, before you start ranting about tactifool, you might want to consider the one behind the rifle. My WASR will do 1 foot--at 200 yards from a knee with 30 rounds downrange in about as many seconds. But for 50, or even 100 yards, from a bench ~5" with iron sights is the norm with some doing slightly better. I've gotten groups of about half that with the PK-AS red dot sight, but even with the red dot, the typical group is about 4 inches. But at 50 yards, I can shoot the tie plate right off its hooks offhand, and I can keep it rocking at 100 yards.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/MTMilitiaman/AKwithcalipers.jpg

Esquire M Busterbury
August 7, 2006, 12:56 AM
Will post updated range report shortly to regain some of lost pride...
Thanks MTM.

%#*@!

Boondoggie
August 7, 2006, 07:25 PM
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g204/boondoggie/Temp/T2.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g204/boondoggie/Temp/T1.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g204/boondoggie/Temp/P1.jpg

50 yards group, Wolf ammo, iron sights, I was happy :D

Esquire M Busterbury
August 7, 2006, 10:52 PM
But the flier! What happened? Did you sneeze? Or was there a pretty girl next to your lane too? Nice group, I'd say good 'nuff for getting by, anyday.

packa45
August 7, 2006, 11:37 PM
The after pic looks like my Wasr-10 minus the rust. I also don't have finger grooves but the folding stock came installed on mine. Accuracy is happily not that bad.

Boondoggie
August 8, 2006, 05:44 AM
Esquire M Busterbury - But the flier! What happened? Did you sneeze? Or was there a pretty girl next to your lane too?

I would like to tell you there was a pretty girl in the lane next to me at the time and my attention was otherwise distracted, but alas, it was a brain fart on my part. :p

kymasabe
August 8, 2006, 06:37 AM
Was that gas tube the Ultimak Mount?