PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinkin about buying a couple guns as gifts for Christmas this year

spyderdude
August 4, 2006, 08:35 PM
Well, I've started thinking about buying gifts for Christmas, with the holidays fast approaching. My sister's husband owns a Llama .380 small semi-automatic pistol, and from what I understand, Llama went out of business a long time ago, and parts are hard to come by, so I wanted to get him something more reliable and has more parts available. I was also thinking about getting my sister a little Kel-Tec .380 that she could stick in her purse. She's definitely not the type that can easily defend herself. I was maybe gonna get a Springfield XD for her husband, or a Springfield 1911 similiar to mine (Mil-Spec, or GI).

The reason why I was thinking about getting my sister a .380 is because she's pretty much never shot a gun in her life. I may take her to the range to shoot my Kel-Tec .380 to see if she likes it. I care about her enough to get her a firearm for protection when she's out by herself, with or without her kids. Anyway, we're supposed to go to a gun shop to start looking for her husband because we're both gonna chip in on the cost of the gun for him, and probably put it on layaway. Anyway, sorry for the long post, and I would appreciate some feedback on this.

j1132s
August 4, 2006, 08:40 PM
<snip> I would appreciate some feedback on this.

I'd suggest you give gift certificates enough to cover whatever pistol you wanted to buy for them at the store you wanted to buy (or negotiate a price at a store near them).

Who knows, maybe their taste in guns is different than yours. Who knows maybe they don't even want guns.

spyderdude
August 4, 2006, 08:47 PM
Well to me it's the thought that counts. I know her husband enjoys shooting his guns, and probably won't mind having another one, and although my sister isn't really into guns, she told me she wouldn't mind having a small one for personal defense, as she is kinda chunky, and probably would make an easy pickin for a scumbag criminal. She does occasionally make late night trips to the store, and I'd just hate to see her get hurt, as anything can happen, anytime, and anywhere.

Don H
August 4, 2006, 11:12 PM
Well to me it's the thought that counts.

There is that. However, if your sister doesn't like the gun you buy her then it won't do her much good sitting in a drawer somewhere. It's kinda like buying shoes for someone else without their input.

CDH
August 5, 2006, 08:35 AM
The reason why I was thinking about getting my sister a .380 is because she's pretty much never shot a gun in her life.

This would imply that your sister either is afraid of guns, has no interest in them, and may never have thought much of having to defend herself.
For my part, I'd suggest that you get your sister an all-paid certificate to a local CCW class so that she first, quickly learns that she really should consider being able to defend herself, and second, start her familiarization with guns.
Short story; my wife is not into guns at all but she is concerned about self defense. So I signed her up for a CCW class and got her qualified on my old 6906 (which she hated because of the heavy first shot trigger pull).
Fast forward, I bought two new XD's, the XD9SubC and the XD45 w/4" barrel.
The idea was that the 9mm would be my wife's carry gun and the .45 would be my new one.
Fast forward to the finish; she fell in love with the XD45 and IT is now her carry/purse gun. Go figure.
The point is, it is just as foolish to pick out a carry gun for a woman as it is to pick out her next pair of shoes for her as was already said.

As for her husband, if he likes to mainly shoot targets, the 1911 would be great fun. But if it's a carry gun you think he's looking for, I have high praise for my XD9SubC which I especially like because when you slip in the extended 16 round magazine, you have a full size grip as on the Service XD's but can then use the shorty 10 round mag if you like to make it ultra concealable.

Carter

revjen45
August 5, 2006, 12:47 PM
Back in the Early Pleistocene I was a gunsmith for a shop that did warranty work on Llama products. The .380s weren't bad. The locked breech 9mms and .45s exibited mediocre quality control at best. The previous post about avalability of replacement parts is true. I would recommend that you choose something else.

Majic
August 5, 2006, 03:53 PM
Get gunshop gift certificates and let them shop for themselves. Have you considered if they want guns or not? Have you considered if she wants to carry a gun or if she wants to go thru the procedure to get a carry permit? Another consideration is the little Kel-Tec and a newbie do not make a good combo. Those are guns for experienced shooters.
You just don't buy guns for someone else unless you know that is exactly the gun they want.

nevin
August 5, 2006, 05:50 PM
I bought my step dad a session with a personal firearm instructer where you get an hour of range time and get to shoot like 7 diffrent guns they had at the range...you could do something like that for her. That way she is safe and will know if it is something she wants/enjoys doing.

He is now hooked on guns and said that was one of the best and most original gifts anyone has ever gotten him. Before that day he had never shot a handgun.

The price at the range i did it at was only like $55...you could do that and if she likes it give her the money for a gun she wants...

Wyo Cowboy
August 5, 2006, 06:26 PM
If you are determinded to give one as a 'suprise' gift, here'e a suggestion. Ask her along when you go to a gunshow. Watch what she seems to like handing. That may give you a better idea as to what she might like... and you get an excuse to go to a gunshow.

Seven High
August 5, 2006, 07:21 PM
Based on my experience with the Keltec P3AT it is my opinion that this weapon is not for a beginner. It is too easy to limp wrist it. I would suggest that if you want to stay with a .380, take a hard look at the Bersa. They are economical and reliable.