PDA

View Full Version : USPc vs USP Standard

Hornett
August 1, 2006, 03:27 PM
Hi all.
I am new to the forum and already have a healthy respect for the information available and the knowlege of the people here.
Here is my ignorant noob baptism question.

I bought a USP compact this year and so far I really like it.
However, This weekend I shot a Glock 22 with a 357 sig barrel and I was very surprised. The Glock seemed to have a lot less flip in the muzzle and second shots were alot faster and easier than with my Compact. Even with the hotter 357 sig loads.:eek:

I love the features of the USP (external safety, exposed hammer and decocker)
So, now I am wondering, Does the standard size USP have less flip than the USPc? I think the USP standard has a different recoil system than the USPc.

I realize that a lot of shooting any gun is subjective, different people like different shapes and features. But, I was hoping someone here who has shot both a USPc and a USP could shed some light on the matter.

Thanks.

P.S.
I was considering switching to a Glock 22 or 23 but I hear some talk about the chamber not being fully supported. What does that mean anyway?
EDIT: Never mind I found the supported chamber information in another thread. :)

timothy75
August 1, 2006, 07:27 PM
Take your apart and see if it has dual recoil springs I know the full size does.

saands
August 1, 2006, 08:18 PM
When I was shopping for my USP40c, I shot a fullsized along side it along with about 6 other polymer 40's. The USP fullsized was markedly better at handling the snappy recoil of the forty. In my opinion, the USPc was the second best of the lot and there was a Glock in the mix ... but I don't like the grip angle on the Glock pistols, so that may have influenced my perception. The recoil management is NOT the same on the USP and the USPc ... the USP uses a dual spring arrangement and the c uses a white plastic bushing that is about 10mm in length as the final recoil attenuator ... sort of like a harder than average shock buffer.

Hope this helps,
Saands

ps ... you didn't mention which USPc you have, so it is a little hard to compare it to a G22 with a 357SIG bbl ...

Hornett
August 2, 2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks.

I have the USPc 40.
I traded a Browning HiPower for it because I wanted to try a .40 cal.
After shooting the compact I suspected the standard would be a little better with the extra weight out front and the different recoil management systems.

Now I have a real problem.
The standard is too big to carry concealed.
I could practice until I learn to shoot my compact or...
I could just keep buying handguns 'til I find the perfect one! :D

Maybe the ideal would be to trade the compact for the standard (with the upgraded trigger :) ) and buy a glock 27 for CCW. At times it would be good to be independently wealthy

jhgreasemonkey
August 2, 2006, 11:23 AM
I carried my standard concealed with an inside the pants holster.

Hornett
August 2, 2006, 11:49 AM
See, now that's interesting information. :cool:
Thanks.

hnk45acp
August 2, 2006, 12:02 PM
The HK has a higher bore axis than the Glock, therefore more muzzle flip.
the Full size USP will reduce the flip a bit but will be larger so the trade off is larger grip/less recoil or smaller grip/more recoil.
You'll get used to it though. If not, shoot some .44 magnum then go back to the HK

IM_Lugger
August 2, 2006, 12:41 PM
HK usp has probably the highest bore axes of any servce gun, thus the exessive muzzle jump. You might want to try Steyr if you want a minimal muzzle jump.

pdkflyguy
August 2, 2006, 02:35 PM
I shot both when looking to buy, and yes, the Full Size does shoot a little easier, with less recoil and muzzle jump. But since this was going to be my carry gun, I opted for the better concealment of the compact. After about 100 rounds, I could shoot it pretty well, and you couldn't ask for a better, more reliable pistol.

Greg Bell
August 2, 2006, 06:24 PM
Guys,

IMHO, the high bore axis thing is overblown. Your grip is much more important to quick follow-up shots than the bore-axis relationship. I own all of these guns, and, honestly, after familiarization, they are all about as fast. The P7 is so fast primarily because of the blow-back action, IMHO.

I think the comparison between the USPc 40 and the G22 is problematic. The Glock has a much longer barrel and plumper grip.

choochboost
August 2, 2006, 06:59 PM
Hornett, I can easily conceal a USPf in a IWB Comp-Tac holster under a regular sized untucked T-shirt. If you have the right rig, you can do it.

M1911
August 2, 2006, 07:33 PM
IMHO, the high bore axis thing is overblown. Your grip is much more important to quick follow-up shots than the bore-axis relationship.I find that my HK USPc and Sig 239 have much more muzzle rise than my aluminum-framed Kimber compact or Kahr K40. YMMV.

Hornett
August 3, 2006, 07:31 AM
I think the comparison between the USPc 40 and the G22 is problematic. The Glock has a much longer barrel and plumper grip.
Yes and no.
A G22 is only 1/2" longer and a little over 3/8" taller than the USPc.
I have seen a G22 on concealed under a T shirt.
It did print some, but only if you knew to look.