PDA

View Full Version : Laser sights?

blackwaterstout
July 27, 2006, 05:52 AM
Are these things just hollywood or are they practical. I notice that they rarely come up in conversation here on the semiauto forum. I always thought they looked cool and might be fun to play around with but are they worth the money and are they useful?

My only pistol is my new CZ 75BD but it does not have an accessory rail. I've seen commercials for a laser site that fits in a replacement grip of a handgun. I can't remember the name. Are they worth a damn?

blackwaterstout
July 27, 2006, 05:55 AM
Oh, the sights I was talking about were Crimson Trace. Unfortunately I just noticed that they cost $275 :( But they do look great don't they. Very sharp.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/images/LG-475lg.jpg

flashman70
July 27, 2006, 08:05 AM
I have Crimson Trace grips on my Kimber .45 and my Sig P229. At the range I rarely use them, as I try to improve my shooting using the iron sights. When I do, however it is fun, because I can put rounds on target without fussing about sight picture. In a home defense situation in the dark, I think they would be invaluable.

ceg35173
August 9, 2006, 09:47 PM
I was talking to a friend the other day who has Crimson Trace on his Beretta 92. He had loaned it to his son who is a new police officer. He had been having trouble at the range so his father, retired officer, told him to try it. He immediately improved and the firearms instructor was able to see the problem he was having. He no longer needs the laser and is shooting very well. The instructor is attempting to get the okay to purchase Crimson Trace for several different firearms to assist in training.

Syntax360
August 9, 2006, 10:50 PM
They are absolutely practical for some people. A lot of people get distracted and shoot worse by the bouncing red rot. Personally, I shoot a lot better and a lot fast with rather than without. It's definitely not for everyone, though...

And then there's the whole arguement about the level of deterrance a laser can provide...

simplekindaman
August 9, 2006, 10:53 PM
i wonder if han solo would use a laser pointer on his laser gun...i guess he wouldnt need one, but maybe some of those storm troopers should look into it...

FirstFreedom
August 9, 2006, 10:58 PM
Well, Han didn't need a laser because every shot IS a laser and therefore a tracer. He just starts blazin away, and voila, no sights needed!

I WAS awaiting the crimson trace grips for the CZ75. But since I got my CZ75 SP01 today, I realize that for $275, I can get a Streamlight laser AND light, and still keep my beautiful Haken Pek grips on the gun!

a1huntingsupply
August 9, 2006, 11:21 PM
I bought the inexpensive ($80) LaserLyte QD setup for my XD40. They work great! I can keep both eyes open and I recover allot faster when I rapid fire. I ran the target out to 25 yards and managed to keep about a 3" group free handed.

Picture of the XD40 with the LaserLyte QD setup
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n178/Ruquick/MyToys.jpg

Oregongundude
August 10, 2006, 12:17 AM
They are a little more expensive than the Crimson Trace, but there built into the handgun. Which is nice with a off/on switch. I have one on my Glock 17 and its dead on. I like the fact that the laser is right under the barrel.

http://www.lasermax.com/

http://www.lasermax.com/products/images/lms-1141p_large.jpg

I'm saving up to get one for my XD subcompact .40 S&W also.

http://www.lasermax.com/products/images/lms-3xd_large.jpg

If you have a revolver the crimson trace is the way to go.

This is just my opinion. The top picture is the Glock 17 9X19

dajowi
August 10, 2006, 02:08 AM
I had a Lasermax installed on my Glock 36. It was dead on accurate at 50ft. I though it was worth the money even though I considered it a bit of a gimmick.

DonR101395
August 10, 2006, 04:21 AM
We have the Crimson Trace on our M9's personally it doesn't work for me. I'm left handed and use a high two handed grip so my thumbs are in the way of the laser. I like the concept of the lasermax, but haven't tried them.

Oregongundude
August 10, 2006, 12:21 PM
I'm left handed also that's why i went with the Lasermax, I kept putting my finger over laser eye. So I went with the lasermax instead.

:cool:

teejhot.40cal
August 10, 2006, 03:24 PM
I am putting a crimson trace on my glock and my sig. I like them from a tactical stand point because i only have to focus on the bad guy and not the sights as well

AK103K
August 10, 2006, 04:20 PM
I have one of the light/laser combos. The main reason I dont like it is it makes things a little to confusing, at least for me, especially since picking up my sights is so ingrained.

Things arent bad if you dont bring the gun up to "sights" as you just see the dot. Its when you get the gun up to where your eyes want to lock onto the sights, as they have been trained to do all along, when the troubles begin. If you shoot both eyes open, your weak eye sees the dot, your strong eye sees the sights and they are not in the same place due to each eye looking at something different. This to me is very disconcerting and tends to cause a little sensory overload as for a split second, I dont know what to look at, even though the bullet will still go to the same point if you pull the trigger. I usually always go back to my sights for the final answer.

To make matters even worse for me is the "Kathryn Hepburn" effect, the harder you try to hold it, the more that damn little dot bounces all over the place. I do a lot better without it. :)

kanders
August 10, 2006, 04:23 PM
A1 -

What's the deal with the inexpensive LaserLyte? I've looked at pictures online, but can't really figure out what you get, as far as mounts and switches. Can you mount it on a Picatinney rail? What kind of switch did you get, where does it go, etc.?

Thanks for any info.

Kevin

blackwaterstout
August 10, 2006, 07:24 PM
I don't think they make a lasarmax sight for my CZ75 do they?

Maveri9720
August 10, 2006, 09:44 PM
Here's what I have heard and read, so take it for what it's worth:

LaserMax sights I have read about had a problem, not sure how widespread or how long it lasted, with the guide rod shattering inside the weapon and locking up the weapon. Not sure if this is old news and has been taken care of, or is just a myth, but I have read about this.

Crimson trace for my G19 puts the laser right through where my trigger finger should be, as stated above in a previous post. So, it's kinda pointless, unless you move your trigger finger, which I certainly don't want to do. Also, for the Glocks, they are only held in by the trigger pin and thus, the pin can easily come loose and then throw off the laser beam, or the pin can fall out and you drop the entire grip/gun.

I personally would love to get a Lasermax, that way I can carry it and not have to get another holster. Also, I wouldn't have a big, bulky rail mounted contraption hanging off the front of it either. Just until I get clarification about the shattering either fixed or myth-busted, I will stay away from them.

My thoughts.

Ichiro
August 10, 2006, 10:18 PM
CTCs turn on when you grip the gun. This makes them better for defense than any brand of laser grip you need to "turn on" with a switch.

If you're concerned with personal defense instead of clearing houses as part of a SWAT team, I think CTCs are the better choice.

teejhot.40cal
August 11, 2006, 01:50 PM
Do laser grips come on in the holster a lot?

a1huntingsupply
August 11, 2006, 07:38 PM
kanders

The LaserLyte QD mounts on the rail. It has buttons on both sides that you press in to slide it on. When they release it locks in place. The switch is just a pass through swith...it works from left or right. Its located at the back by the trigger. You can easly push the switch on with your trigger finger. It has the typical allen wrench adjustment to set the laser. Its not as fancy and flashy as some of the other models out there but it works great and you cant beat the price. It only takes a second to install or remove it.

kanders
August 12, 2006, 06:10 PM
A1, thanks a lot for your opinion. I've looked closer at these and would definitely get the QD, which I'd probably use mostly for dry firing practice. My wife is also a beginner, but she's having major problems moving the gun as she squeezes the trigger (I'm talking not even hitting the paper at 7 yards!). So you like the QD without one of the remote switches (I'm assuming you can install one on the QD laser and that it's a momentary on switch)?

bubbygator
August 12, 2006, 09:52 PM
I've had 6 lasers of various guns. Crimson Trace is high quality and very natural to use. For old farts like me with sighting problems, it's like a difference between night & day.

A new name that's getting good reviews on the KT & Glock boards is Armalaser.

tydephan
August 14, 2006, 03:14 PM
I have a Glock 22 that I recently upgraded with a lasermax internal laser site.

I have been very pleased with it so far. It is completely unobstrusive.

My father carried a G22 with lasermax during his tenure as a State Trooper and swore by it.

I have researched the Crimson Trace grips and I'm contemplating buying one for my SA 1911, even though lasermax offers an internal for 1911 just so I could have one of each to compare.

However I will be buying another lasermax for my Glock 26 as soon as funds replenish. :)

During the day I do not use the laser, instead opting to use the iron sites. I bought the laser mainly for protection at night. But it certainly adds to the "cool" factor of a weapon, IMHO.

Bob O
August 14, 2006, 04:37 PM
There's another manufacturer that makes a great laser sight for Glock, Kahr, and Kel-Tec, with more coming. Check out ArmaLaser. Have one on my Kel-Tec P-3AT. Before I got it wondered how well the trigger finger sensing device would be in actual use -- it's GREAT!!

Wonderful customer service also.

www.armalaser.com

tydephan
August 14, 2006, 04:45 PM
Bob O,

How is your accuracy with the armalaser unit? Is it fairly sleek?

I am curious as to the method of mounting and how the unit would ride in a holster without needing constant calibration.

It is certainly more reasonably priced than lasermax or crimson trace.

I love the idea of auto-on. This is the single biggest drawback to the lasermax in my mind.