PDA

View Full Version : Kel-Tec PF-9... Impressions?

Mokumbear
July 14, 2006, 09:49 PM
Is the Kel-Tec PF9 now readily available at gun shops?

Has anyone purchased one?
What are your impressions?

Is it reliable out of the of the box or is it another case of returning it for
repair and adjustment?

Will it eat most brands of JHP ammo?

What do you think of this weapon for concealed carry?
From the pictures I see, it seems like it has some big gaps that would allow dirt etc to enter the weapon.

So, is this a good choice or should I save up for an HK p2000sk??? :confused:

pocketgun
July 14, 2006, 10:13 PM
Is the Kel-Tec PF9 now readily available at gun shops?

Has anyone purchased one?
What are your impressions?

The release date has recently been stated as being September 1st. The delays are due to supply problems with some (unspecified) parts. I am guessing it is the Mec-Gar magazines that are taking a while. That answers the second question.

My impressions (from the SHOT show in Feb.) were that the pistol is similiar to a Kahr PM9 - sort of a tweener pocket/IWB carry piece with a lighter trigger like a P3AT. I liked it and plan on buying one ASAP.

Is it reliable out of the of the box or is it another case of returning it for repair and adjustment?

Can't say since it isn't out. My guess is that it won't have many problems, since it uses a P11 barrel and some off-the-shelf parts from other Kel-Tecs. Time will tell. Most of the gun uses parts already in use or parts based on systems that have been working well in other guns (i.e. different parts but similar to current designs, scaled to this pistol). The magazines are all new, and could be a question mark.

Will it eat most brands of JHP ammo?

It is expected to be able to handle most types of 9mm. I wouldn't count on it working great with steel-cased ammo like Wolf, but it may. Other Kel-Tecs can use +P ammo "for limited use", and this one is no different.

What do you think of this weapon for concealed carry?
From the pictures I see, it seems like it has some big gaps that would allow dirt etc to enter the weapon.

So, is this a good choice or should I save up for an HK p2000sk???

Most pocket carry guns will pick up lint, even in a holster, after being carried for a few days. I don't see this being an issue. The HK you mentioned is a much bigger pistol - the sort of handgun you carry when you think you need more than the PF9 - not its competition. Save up and buy them both. :D

MADISON
July 15, 2006, 06:22 PM
I thought one of Bill Clinton's crime bills outlawed the Tech-9.

pocketgun
July 15, 2006, 07:55 PM
Ha.

TC-TX
July 16, 2006, 02:40 PM
Can't WAIT till it is released...

I have 2 (1 Parkerized, 1 Hard Chrome) on order all ready...

My other three Factory New KT's (P-32, P-11, P-3AT/2g) have been FLAWLESS - No F&B required on any of them and all of them get LOTS of range time...

Not to mention my New SU-16C - WOW is this a Fun One!

YMMV...

denfoote
July 16, 2006, 06:45 PM
I'm gunna wait until it's out awhile, then decide if I want one or not.

Gott im Himmel!! I have more 9mm's than I know what to do with now!! :eek:

pocketgun
July 16, 2006, 11:53 PM
It usually takes about three months for the Parkerized models to become available, then another three months for the Hard Chrome ones. It could be less this time (for the PF9) due to many parts being already in stock from the P11 and P3AT. Don't know for sure.