PDA

View Full Version : new to handguns...need advice

glockfan504
July 14, 2006, 02:57 PM
I recently purchased a Glock 17 and been going to the range atleast once a week plus dry firing at home. all my shots @ 25y are well into the "kill zone". (generally 7-10 point circles)
When i use Blazer cf rounds my shots are all over the place, last time i shot Winchester 9mm FMJ rounds and was extremely better. Does ammo make a difference?

also

.40 vs .45
I am looking to buy a CCW, prefferably in .45 semi-auto like the Colt Defender, any suggestions?

Boondoggie
July 15, 2006, 07:21 AM
glockfan504,

Firstly, welcome to TFL and congratulations on your Glock 17.

When i use Blazer cf rounds my shots are all over the place, last time i shot Winchester 9mm FMJ rounds and was extremely better. Does ammo make a difference?

Yes it can. However, I will say that I have been shooting a G34 for about a year now. I compete weekly in IDPA with it and have about 8000 rounds through it, almost exclusively CCI Blazers and have not noticed any accuracy difference.

Having said that, certain guns do prefer one type and weight of bullet or velocity over another. It's a matter of what you are looking for. Glocks will generally have 'combat' accuracy with just about any FMJ round. But if you are looking for the most you can squeeze out of it, you will need to try a verity of ammo and see which works best. If you do decide to try this little experiment, I would recommend that you shoot off the bench, this will minimize the 'human' error and hopefully tell you what the 'gun' is capable off.

I will say that Glocks are not tack drivers, they were never design to be, 3" - 5" at 25 yards is excellent for a Glock. :D

jhgreasemonkey
July 18, 2006, 06:45 PM
Welcome. And I agree with boondogee.