PDA

View Full Version : Gonna buy a Springfield!

dan_the_drt
July 8, 2006, 07:01 PM
Allright, well first off ive been a long time reader of this forum but, this will be my first post since I finnally have a question that has not already been answered. I am real close to purchasing a 1911 (just one more pay day and I am there). I have decided on a springfield GI type 5 inch .45, for a few reasons, 1-the price is right and 2-my grandfather always had a 1911 at his side during WWII and the Korean war and I want to feel and shoot something very close to what he carried and shot. So my mind is pretty much made up on what I want, and I have found 3 shops in my local area that all carry the same weapon for roughly the same price and since I am not loyal to any one shop my question is, is there anything I need to look out for on this particular weapon, at least anything that i can see in the store, that would make it a not so worthy candidate? Allthough I have had great luck in the past with buying great firearms, I really do not want to be stuck with a lemon on this one. I really appreciate all the help! Thanks!

Dan

Quintin
July 8, 2006, 07:26 PM
The super heavy mainspring can make for a crummy trigger pull - it's still good, but it's pretty heavy. My Springfield Loaded had some extractor issues, inconsistent/erratic case ejection, but otherwise it was fine. I replaced the Springfield extractor with an Ed Brown Hardcore piece and it worked great.

topspin43
July 8, 2006, 08:12 PM
Bud's has it on sale for $380... why wait?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

dairycreek
July 9, 2006, 12:59 PM
is there anything I need to look out for on this particular weapon, at least anything that i can see in the store, that would make it a not so worthy candidate?

First off! the SA GI 45 is a great gun. A very good replica of the original GI 45 that your grandfather carried. My only problem is that it is such a good replica of the original GI 45 that it put the very, very small GI sights on it. Now, if you have very good vision that may not be a problem but the small sights just drive me nuts. It is really not a big problem as you can have the sights replaced with a lot of other sights.

Other than than (my only problem with the gun) the SA GI 45 is a real winner. Go for it.:D

WhyteP38
July 9, 2006, 01:14 PM
My SA Milspec is very similar to the SA GI-45 and is extremely fun to shoot. Be advised, SAs tend to come from the factory with heavy triggers and shooting low.

I sent my SA Loaded back to SA (no charge), and it came back with a crisp 5-pound trigger (it was at 15-pounds) and shooting POA. In short, they did a great job.

My Milspec had a POS barrel, shot low, and had an 8-pound trigger. I got a Colt GM OEM barrel for $10 from someone who had never used it (he had immediately sent his NIB Colt to a gunsmith for a makeover and swapped out barrels--this situation is not uncommon). Since I wanted to install a different trigger, I let a local gunsmith fix the pull, replace the trigger, adjust POA, and ensure the barrel was properly fitted. It's now a truly great gun.

Both my Loaded and my Milspec still wear the SA ILS mainsprings.

The barrel issue with my Milspec is unusual, but the trigger pull and the shooting low issues aren't. However, for what you save, you can easily get those things fixed and have it "customized" to a slight degree to your particular needs, or you can have SA fix it for free, though not exactly customized to your particular needs.

JBE
July 9, 2006, 10:11 PM
I have a Springfield GI and agree that these are just too fun to shoot. Certain issues need attention like the grip safety (hammer bites) which with this type of grip safety a band aid is recomended over the strike spot. The sights leave a lot to be desired and yes replacement is in order.

After some customizing a set of Personalized Grips from Gun Grips (http://www.gungrips.net/) will be in order or ones like these anyway.

blume357
July 10, 2006, 05:57 AM
One with added adjustible sights and the other with the standard. I would leave the sights alone as long as they are close.

WhyteP38
July 10, 2006, 08:52 AM
Regarding the "hammer bite" issue, usually it's not really the hammer that bites you on these models. Most often, the problem is that the upper part of the grip safety and the frame tang have sharp edges that cut you. You'll see two parallel lines cut into the web of your hand. Dehorning the sharp edges should fix that problem.

Huchahucha
July 10, 2006, 10:06 AM
I've got the G.I. model, and I'm getting a sexy new stainless MIL-SPEC soon.
The G.I. model is my first 1911 so I have nothing to compare it to, and I bought it used. Generally speaking, I really like the gun. Every once in awhile I have a feeding problem, and sometimes I have ejection problems where it kicks the brass directly in my face. I can overlook all this because it is one of the most accurate pistols in my arsonal. The tiny fixed sites took some getting used to, but I just painted the front blade bright orange with model paint, and now I can find it quickly when shooting. Keeping in the spirit of the pistol, I just shoot ball ammo since hollow points didn't exist back in the day and aren't allowed in the military anyway. In other words I strictly use it as a plinking pistol.

Just a thought - if the fixed sights are a problem, you could get a MIL-SPEC gun and slap some U.S. wood grips on it. They appear to be the same gun except for the sights and a wider ejection port (which can't be a bad thing).
I'm not sure but I think Springfield sells the U.S. grips on their website.

Huchahucha
July 10, 2006, 10:19 AM
Oops, spoke too soon. I can't find the G.I. grips on the Springfield website. There has to be a part number for them, so I guess you would have to call Springfield to inquire about them.

WhyteP38
July 10, 2006, 11:23 AM
The slide serrations on the Milspec are angled; the ones on the GI model are straight up and down like a Colt. I happen to prefer the Colt-style serrations, but the SA GI model did not exist when I bought my Milspec.

Ala Dan
July 10, 2006, 02:20 PM
Hey, folks we all agree that Springfield Armory makes great weapons~!:cool:
With that said, I own several of the WW-II replica G.I. guns that
you speak of. One is a 5" parkerized version, and the other is a
5" stainless steel model. If the tiny military sights tend to be a
problem; may I suggest the stainless steel model, as the sights
are blackened somewhat to contrast with the stainless slide. I
also own a brand new, parkerized Springfield 1911A1 5" MIL-
SPEC. All of these guns are great performers, with the MIL-SPEC
model having three dot sights and a lowered and flared ejection
port. And, that is great for us handloaders as it doesn't ding the
spent brass. All three work well, and will digest all the rounds I
feed them, without so much as a burp.

markj
July 10, 2006, 02:38 PM
My GI SS shoots low, my High Standard made by Armscor is dead on and groups better. I love both tho and shoot them frequently. The HS cost 330.00 the SA was 425.00

gandog56
July 10, 2006, 07:43 PM
My Crimson Trace Laser Grips took care of the small sights!:D

varoadking
July 10, 2006, 07:44 PM
My GI SS shoots low

Send it back. They will make it right...

chevyman
July 10, 2006, 07:59 PM
I just purchased a G.I model and all though I love it the sites have got to go. if I had relized it I would have gotten the mil spec with the 3 dot sites. my local gun smith wants 85.00 to install some good sites. other than that I am completely satisfied.

gripster
July 10, 2006, 08:01 PM
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 45 ACP Mil. Spec. i have one. its the best semi. i got a S&W,. shoot all the others many times. forget the SA GI 1911. its a good gun. but not as good as the Mil. Spec.;) :D

WhyteP38
July 11, 2006, 08:41 AM
The only thing I'd change on my Milspec is the angle of the slide serrations. I really like the straight up and down serrations on a 1911. Other than that, the Milspec is a more complete package than the GI (better sights, lowered ejection port).

markj
July 11, 2006, 01:35 PM
Send it back. They will make it right...

I am having novak sights installed so I am not worried about it. It hasnt missed a lick with the hardball I shoot. A real easy to shoot weapon.