PDA

View Full Version : CIA Romanian AK-47... crap or a good buy?

Savage10FP308
July 5, 2006, 06:32 PM
I just shot one of my friends AK's. It is a CIA Romanian AK-47. He hasn't had it very long and I was wanting to know if they hold up if they are well taken care of. I liked how it shot and all but at $345 out the door I am wondering if it is one of those you get what you pay for deals. By the way, is $345 out the door a good price?

Maximus856
July 5, 2006, 11:25 PM
heh, they hold up if poorly taken care of.

'Nuff said.

-Max.

rugerdude
July 6, 2006, 01:19 AM
If you like how it shot, then buy it because it will shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot, and then, just as you thought it couldn't possibly shoot anymore because you completely filled the reciever with mud and sand and you are using prototype ammo from 1863, it will shoot some more.

silicon wolverine
July 6, 2006, 02:42 AM
The only thing you have to worry about is take care to inspect it for canted sight blocks or gas blocks. that price is very good for a romanian. around my neck of the woods theyre 375-400 plus tax and transfer

SW

jrfoxx
July 6, 2006, 04:27 AM
I have one and couldnt be happier.100% reliable, and 300% fun :). Thats a pretty good price too if its the GP (better wood and ALMOST all GP's come with the g2 trigger group, which I'm told eliminates the trigger slap most of the cheaper, non-GP ones have, and is a smoother pull too).Here and in Washington state, they go for like $375-400.Also, they are very common, so there are LOTS of add-on goodies for them, just like the AR's, if your inclined to modify it to better fit (in my opinion) the role of a HD/SHTF gun than it would stock.Plus, a lot of people of average or taller stature dont like how short the stock is, so a Tapco T6 adjustable stock is said to do wonders for making it more comfortable (I'm short, so I didnt have that problem personally).Here's what mine has turned into (customizing it was lots of fun, and it now has some very nice and useful features that I think make it a great HD/SHTF gun, but it's still just as fun and cheap to plink with as ever too). I think mine looks a lot better now too, which is always a bonus.:)
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/jrfoxx/ak47new001.jpg

silicon wolverine
July 6, 2006, 06:27 AM
Wow. that makes some tacticool stuff ive seen mild.:eek:

SW

Boondoggie
July 6, 2006, 06:27 AM
The only thing you have to worry about is take care to inspect it for canted sight blocks or gas blocks.

+1. I had one with a canted front sight block, always shot left no matter what I did, you can punch out the two pins holding the sight block together and re-aligning. Takes a little work but it's worth it.

No complaints other then this little matter. Gun has been 100% reliable, will shoot 5" - 6" groups at 100 yards if you do your part.:D

eXe
July 6, 2006, 03:40 PM
Dont post here all that much.. im a certified lurker.. lol

But I have one and its been 100% reliable. Shoots good, never gave me any problems.

Make sure you check the sights to make sure they are not canted

Here is a great site to teach you all you will ever want to know about them.. and what to look for.

Click Here For Romanian AK Info (http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/)

I am more of an AR person myself.. but I just had to have an AK and my CIA Romanian has been great.

Savage10FP308
July 6, 2006, 04:06 PM
looks like I am buying a rifle this week. I'm glad to hear good things because I really want one. By the way, what does canted sights mean and how do I tell if they are? Thanks again.
Nevermind! I just found it on your posted link. Thanks for the great link!

Sarge
July 6, 2006, 04:21 PM
Real decent rifles-

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170419

dogngun
July 8, 2006, 04:41 AM
I have an older Romanian AK from 1991, an SAR1. The best semi auto rifle I ever had, My favorite plinker, realiabe beyond belief, cheap ammo, cheap mags, I wouldn't spend money on any "aftermarket" accessories untill you have had the rifle awhile.
Spend your money on ammo and practice with it, you won't need much beyond a sling and more mags and ammo.

Fend several more AK sites-do a Google search-there is a ton of AK info on the web, including free manuals to download. They are great rifles.

Mark
Try this site for lost of info and links to other sites.

www.ak-47.net/ak47

Maximus856
July 10, 2006, 11:38 PM
Hate to bring this back from the dead (ok, only 2 days old) but avoid 40+rd. magazines. The only time I have a problem with my SAR1 is when I use the 40rd because I *beleive* the spring gets to soft towards the end of the magazine and wont fully cycle a new round. Stick to the 20 and 30 rd. mags.

-Max.

Savage10FP308
July 12, 2006, 04:59 PM
I am happy to say that I am now te proud owner of a brand new CIA Romanian AK-47! I just got it today so I havn't had the chance to shoot it yet, but I am looking forward to it. I cleaned all the gunk out of it. They really pack them full of grease when they ship them. Is there anything else anybody would recommend doing before I start to break it in?