PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Ultra CDPII 3"

VirgilCaine
July 4, 2006, 08:56 AM
One of by best buddies brought up his brand spankin' new Kimber Ultra CDPII 45acp up to my place this weekend. The plan was to put a few hundred rounds thru' it and sing its praises, I suppose.

No such luck. FTE's and FTF"s every few rounds. The first thought was ammo, he brought up UMC 250 round ball value packs @ 230gr. I gave him some of my WWB ball ammo, same problem. I fired several of the UMC's thru my Colt Commander, no problems. He had 3 kimber mags, it happened with all of them. My Wilson mags didn't fit his kimber.

It looked to me like the ejecting/or feeding round was getting hung up on the next round in the mag. you could see the marks on the spent casing where the extracter had tried to grab it.

Needless to say, he was P.O'd

Any thoughts? I told him to give it back to Kimber and get a 4" CDP. He seems to think its the mags. He also has some nice leather ordered for it and hates the idea of not being able to use it. Could it have a bad extractor out of the box?

pogo2
July 4, 2006, 10:30 AM
I would tend to agree with your friend that the original Kimber mags might be the problem. For about $27 he can buy a Wilson Combat Officer size mag and see if it works better. I use Wilson mags in my Kimber CDP Pro and they work very well.

Ala Dan
July 4, 2006, 11:45 AM
I use the Wilson Combat Officer size mags in my Kimber Stainless Ultra
Carry II, and have not experienced any type of problem. Check for a
burr on the feed ramp, and the lips of the Kimber magazines. It may
be that the "lips" aren't holding the next round up tightly enough,
while a round is being chambered? Thats an easy fix, just slightly
bend the lips inward ever so carefully and see if that helps. Or a
better idea, is to order one of the Wilson magazines~! Hope this
helps.

tegemu
July 4, 2006, 12:25 PM
When i first got my Ultra Carry II, it did the same thing but I saw a lot of posts on different Forums that all emphasized that it would get better when it was broken in. The Kimber manual sez to put 400 - 500 rounds thru it to break it in. At 500 mine was better, had been steadily improving but was still FTFing, so I kept on shooting. At 800 rds it smoothed out and now works like a charm. So before I hit the panic button and started changing things or shipping it back to Kimber, I would call Kimber and explain the problem to them. I would also be sure the gun was well broken in. Now my UC II is my regular Pocket Carry gun. Good luck with it, mine sure tried my patience.