PDA

View Full Version : HK USP .45 Range Report

Bullrock
July 3, 2006, 05:12 PM
I took my new USP .45 to the range for the first time today. First, I checked the safety to see if it would hold, while in the cocked & locked position. It did/will! I had been told by HK-USA to expect a 13 to 15Lb pull in DA. Dam near broke my trigger finger. It is hefty!!!

My target placement was about 30 to 35 feet. I tried the DA first, and it's lost somewhere in space. The next 12 rounds were in SA (a 5.5Lb pull) so light I had a double tap when I had not intended one. At first I shot a little low and left.

On the second magazine I picked up the black center and from there continued to make large holes in it until it became unrecognizable...Now before someone else tells me how big and bulky USP's are, I have an average 9 1/2" to 10" glove size hand. In a size 10 my fingers don't reach the end.

I had no difficulty reaching the magazine release, but did have difficulty in the beginning reaching the slide release. Somewhere between the 4th and 5th magazine, my right thumb began to reach the slide release, and then with ease. No, I didn't grow a larger right thumb in the process, but it seemed like I did. ;)

200+ rounds later I laid this beautiful shooting iron down and picked up my almost new P2000sk. I put another 70 rounds through it for a total of about 240 in the last two weeks.

I didn't expect FTF's or FTE's, and I didn't get any from either gun. No burps or hiccups just smooth feeding and great shooting. Recoil? What recoil! :D Maybe a tad heavier than 9mm in an other than HK type.

I have now cut my collection down to three automatics, and I am very pleased with the selection. HK USP .45, HK P2000sk, & Beretta PX4. I get to shoot all of them every week, instead of having too many guns hanging out gathering dust.

So all of you guys who told me how much I would like the USP .45 were right! I'm sitting here writing this with a large grin on my old ugly face. Many thanks for all of the help. I owe some of you...;) :D :D

EDIT: Oh, I used mostly Winchester White Box, 230Gr. FMJ and 50 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 230Gr. FMJ.

I couldn't help myself...

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/bullrock/2usps2.jpg

18DAI
July 3, 2006, 07:27 PM
Congrats Bullrock! Glad to hear you enjoyed your HK's. Regards 18DAI.

Kermit
July 4, 2006, 12:14 AM
Congrats! Sounds like your HK's have found a happy home!

silver-bullet
July 4, 2006, 09:03 AM
That's a damn fine collection of pistols, Bullrock. I've been trimming my own collection as well, and it's great to actually be able to SHOOT the guns I have (all HK's by the way) instead of watching them grow old and rusty. Keep on truckin'! ;)