PDA

View Full Version : .358 Winchester?

boltgun71
July 3, 2006, 03:41 AM
Im currently deployed to Afghanistan and am having a few custom rifles built while I am over here. One of the rifles I would like to be in .358 Win.. I'm looking at a 23" fluted heavy sporter barrel chambered for the .358 on a Rem 700 short action. Just wondering what others think of this cartridge(accuracy and game they have taken), what re-loads work best for them, and what I can expect from the heavy 23" barrel I mentioned. Its going to be used for primarily black bear, hogs, and other North American big game. Already have hunting rifles in .308Win., 300 Win Mag., 243 Win., .32 Spec., 30-06, and building a 260 Rem. now. Just always been fascinated by the .358 Win. Any opinions and info would be appreciated.

Jack O'Conner
July 3, 2006, 08:42 AM
I hope you make it back in one piece!

I guided for Worldwide Safaris each fall for 5 years in row. I met a lot of hunters and observed the performance of many hunting cartridges. I concluded that when a good bullet is shot through both lungs, the animal topples over rather quickly.

.358 is a rare one in the Rocky Mts. but certainly effective and lethal. I recall only one hunter ever uncasing a .358 rifle for a mule deer/elk combo hunt. It was a Savage lever action rifle. As I recall, he shot the bull twice and it fell over. He missed the muley first two shots but toppled the big buck with a single shot through the chest. It happens. Sooner or later we all miss a shot or two.

Good hunting to you.
Jack

Ruger4570
July 3, 2006, 09:40 AM
As you probably know the .358 is based on the .308 Win cartridge and has a limited space for powder. It cannot equal the 35 Whelen or a 350 Rem Mag either, just not enough powder space. That aside, the 358 Win is a fantastic cartridge for deer and black bear. Its true potential comes only to those that handload where many combinations can be tried along with better bullets with a higher BC. One of my shooting and hunting buddies has a 358 and I shoot a 35-284 custom that is based on the 284 Win case. It has the same overall cartridge length as the 358, just a considerable more powder space. We both shoot Sierra 225 gr Game Kings or Nosler 225 Partitions for most game. These are very sleek bullets that always perform well in deer and elk and give stellar accuracy, I get 3/4" groups at 100 yards. I don't remember how fast his shoots these bullets any longer, but my gun gets 2700 fps with them and he was not really all that far behind with his 358. With the right loads, it takes the 358 out of the "short range" catagory (whatever that really means) and allows for 200 and 300 yard shots to be taken if needed. Best of luck with your rifle and I am sure it just might get to be one of your favorite rifles for hunting,, it is mine.

boltgun71
July 3, 2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I do intend to handload for the cartridge, and I have specifically been looking at the 225 Sierra Gameking and Nosler Partition, so thanks for the input Ruger. 3/4" groups at 100yds sounds great for the .358 and I hope to acheive the same. I realize the limits of the cartridge and plan on 300yds being the max range, preferably much closer. Thanks again for the input guys, keep it coming, the more the better. I spend my days here dreaming about my .260 Rem. and .358 Win. I'm having built.

guntotin_fool
July 3, 2006, 01:16 PM
If I were building a rifle like this, I would not put such a heavy barrel on it. The recoil is not so bad, I had a 99A in .358 what I really wish I still had. That was a really light barrel and was plenty accurate for the use intended, I think just over an inch was as good as I got it.

The real use of the .358 is a walking hunting rifle that has the big punch without the size and weight usually needed for that much power. I used both Hornady 250's and partition 225's.

Keep your head down and make it back home, be safe.

Ruger4570
July 3, 2006, 01:28 PM
I would also concur with guntotin as far as a heavy barrel. My barrel was the lightest available for the 35 caliber. I sure wish I remembered what Douglass contour it was. It is still plenty thick and carries well without a lot of weight. The recoil of a 358 isn't all that bad, I have fired a lot of guns with a lot more ie a 7 Mag and my 45-70 to mention a couple. I guess I built a carrying/hunting rifle as opposed to one that I spent a lot of time at the bench with. Of course in my case, there wasn't much if any data available for a 35-284 so I did have to spend quite a bit of time "wildcatting" and load developing. But that was a lot of the fun too. I have shot 4 elk woth the Sierra 225 bullets and one with the Nosler. In every case and from every angle, the bullet went completely through the elk, stem to stern 2 times. I now load it down for deer as it is just TOO powerful and one time blew a "chunk" of meat 1-1/2" +/- by 4" long on the far side completly off.

miguel
July 4, 2006, 09:34 AM
I have an older Ruger 77 with a tang safety and an 18 1/2" barrel chambered in .358 win. I equipped it with a 2x7 Leupold and a Timney trigger and use it a lot for deer hunting. My favorite handload is 46.5 g of IMR 4895 with a federal magnum primer and a 225 g nosler ballistic tip. This load will shoot one inch groups at around 2300 f.p.s. and has proven deadly on whitetails from 25 yards to 200 yards.The .358 was never intended to be a super long range cartridge, but it will perform great at moderate ranges,it really hammers them. You will get quite a bit more velocity with a longer barrel, but I agree with the others in saying that you should try and keep the gun somewhat lighter, the .358 isn't a shoulder pounder. A word of advice, if you can find factory ammo, or brass for that matter, grab it up, Winchester doesn't make it anymore. You can use .308 brass, but I prefer to use the real thing.

El Paso Joe
July 4, 2006, 04:36 PM
When I was young (and smarter than I am now...), I lusted for a .35 Whelen. I saw a Remington (660 I think) in .35 Rem in a gun shop and thought to myself "I'll bet you could neck up a .308 to .35 and rechamber that gun and do about the same as a .35 Whelen..." The guy who owned the shop suggested I just get a .358 Win instead. I did - a Savage 99A and I really like it. It shoots well and the recoil isn't too bad.

I think that one of my dream guns today would be a Ruger 77RSI in .358 - a full stock version of Miguel's rifle.

Current project is rebarreling a Santa Barbara Mauser to .35 Whelen. Have the barrel, stock, and action.

gordo b.
July 5, 2006, 01:20 AM
Brother; don't do your self a disservice with a heavy barrel on a hunting rifle in that caliber! If you want a light rifle for game up to elk UNDER 200 Yards the .358Win will work OK.You have to deep seat pointy bullets over 200 grains so you are limited to 2200-2300fps. You would be much better served if you want to stick with .35, with a .350 Rem mag in a Rem 673 , or a custom shop Model 7 - trust me. I have a scout type custom KS model 7 in .350 and it does the deed as far out as you would want to shoot big game, ANY big game! It shoots 225 grain bullets at 2700fps from a 21" barrel. I also have a .358 Savage 99 brush gun, and it is in a different league- it is an under 200 yard under 500 pound game rifle. I also have a custom .358 Norma mag on a heavy barreled model 1917 Rem action and THAT cannon is a bit much to lug after elk, even when I was "high and tight";) It shoots 250 grain bullets at 2800 fps from it's 25" barrel. .358 Winchester ammo is hard to get and getting harder. I have a ton of .35 Remingtons and have been fooling with loading .35 for 30 years or so.My advice is to go with the .350 Rem mag, Col. Cooper knows a thing or two here! Think .308 trajectory on a big dose of steroids! You can play with pistol bullets or nasty 180 grain bullets at almost 3000 fps from a 22" barre!