PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas...

Astroboy_OKC
July 1, 2006, 12:21 AM
I'm trying to find a few different guns for the wife to try to see what she wants to get. We both plan on getting our CCW. She's about 5'2", avg build, and small hands. I was thinking of something sub-c like a Glock 26, but she doesn't like the pinky hanging off and the slide's a little tough for her to rack. Our local range has a host of guns available for her to try, I just wanted to try and narrow it down a little (they're 7.50 each to rent :( )...

Thanks for any help...

Ken

5whiskey
July 1, 2006, 12:58 AM
This may sound dumb to you, but try a 1911 in 9mm. The recoil is nominal (metal slide full size pistol in 9mm, it's really not hard at all), and I think the grip of a 1911 is more suited for small hands than most others. I MIGHT be off a little, I have huge hands. But my mother carries one and shes only about 5'5", and she shoots the crap out of it.

On another note, maybe you should look into a reasonable .38 revolver. Usually fits in smaller hands better, and there's no slide to pull back...

Handy
July 1, 2006, 01:38 AM
Kahr certainly makes a gun with a small grip. But most single stacks should be pretty thin.

One solution worth looking into is a gun with a cockable hammer. With the hammer cocked, the slide is usually easier to work than a comparable striker fired gun. S&W makes the economy 908, the 3913 and CS9 - all of which have a good following as safe, reliable and simple carry guns. The Sig 239 is a bit bigger, but also well liked in that role.

If no 9mm pistol of decently small size is workable, bite the bullet and get a revolver and maybe a trigger job. It is critical that she be able to clear and load the gun on her own.

Majic
July 1, 2006, 02:50 AM
Let her handle all the range guns without renting them. She will probably whittle the selection down herself as some may feel better to her than others.

Astroboy_OKC
July 1, 2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks all for your help...I think we're getting it narrowed down after the range visit today. She really likes the S&W 686-4. Now if I can only find something comparable that's a little more economical.

Thanks again,
Ken

Bullrock
July 1, 2006, 06:39 PM
Let her handle all the range guns without renting them. She will probably whittle the selection down herself as some may feel better to her than others.
I was going to ditto Majic...The 686 has the quality that is worth the cost. Something less expensive will probably take you to Taurus, which makes a very good revolver for the money...Or, she might like a PT-111 Mil-Pro 9mm. Very light and managable...

My experience with the Ruger SP-101 is the trigger is very rough. She might like it though...

Good Luck

Astroboy_OKC
July 1, 2006, 09:44 PM
We've talked more about it and she really seems to be leaning toward a revolver now. She's going to shoot a friend's Taurus 66 .357 and a Colt .38 Detective Special and see what she thinks. I believe part of the problem she's having is the trigger pull. With the 686 she would cock the hammer before firing and it seemed like it was only a few ounces of pull instead of several pounds.

JerryS1
July 1, 2006, 10:33 PM
I'd add the Taurus PT-111 to the list of things to look at. Nice and light, too small of a grip for my hand, but the little lady would probably like it.

Jerry

kansas45
July 2, 2006, 06:59 AM
Have her try a XD9 Service model. I think she would like it & the price is not too high. The main thing is to let her pick out her gun then she will feel like it is her's (experence, don't ask)!:D

CDH
July 21, 2006, 09:21 PM
My wife and I just got our Concealed Carry licenses, and I was surprised to see her fall in love with the XD45. She feels the recoil is "softer" than the 9mm, and she's right.

So the XD45 is her carry gun and the XD9SubCompact is mine... and I'm not complainin'.

Have your wife shoot the XD45 and you may go broke keeping her in carry purses of all colors.

Carter