PDA

View Full Version : What kind of AR?

KimberTLE.45
June 28, 2006, 05:58 PM
I'm trying to decide what kind of AR to buy and was wondering if anyone could give some imput? I was told that both bushmaster and Rock river make good stuff. Is this true? What kind of set-up should I get? I priced a Olympic flat top M4 for $760 OTD. Is this a good price? What about a 20" barrel? They had a Bushmaster M4 with a removeable handle for $975 w/o taxes. They also had a Bushmaster 20" with a fixed handle for $1220 w/o taxes. Where are some good places in Michigan for AR's? I know all of the online websites, but would prefer buying local. This gun will be used for plinking and some paper punching at the range, but no competiton or anything like that. I was considering the Flip-up sights with the Flat top so I could add a scope if I wanted. As you can tell I dont know much about AR's. I've only shot an AR once, it was a colt with a 20" Barrel, I liked it a lot. I would just like some imput on brands, prices, and what a good set-up would be for out in the woods, the range, and possibly HD. Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

ArmySon
June 28, 2006, 06:05 PM
ARs are like 1911s in terms of customization. One right out of the box with ole' fashion iron sights is perfectly fine for most. On the other hand, if you want to add optics, flashlights, etc, a flatop is the way to go.

You could always add a scope ontop a fixed carrying handle but will generally shoot better on a flatop due to a better cheek rest. So an AR with a removeable carrying handle could fill either mold :)

Lastly, a carbine vs full size. Again it boils down to your personal preference. If I were in the market for an AR, I'd get a carbine just so I can deck it out and give it the 'evil' assault rifle look :)

jhgreasemonkey
June 28, 2006, 06:12 PM
Bushmaster AR-15 A2 can be had for $800 new. Probably the best bang for buck. And you get a milspec rifle so you can compete in the service rifle competition. If you want a carbine and want to deck it out there are so many to choose from. The lower line olyimpic arms dont have chrome lined chambers. They are the cheapest for a reason. I would stay away unless you just want a plinker. (literaly) That was probably a plinker model you priced out.

PythonGuy
June 28, 2006, 06:21 PM
There are so many good ones to buy, and you can buy uppers and lowers from CMMG and Bravo Company that are excellent quality. Your best bet is to go to www.ar15.com and read, read, read. As jhgreasemonkey mentioned, new Bushmasters go for $800 or so and are excellent values. Most stick with Colt, Armalite, Bushmaster, RRA as the top brands, they are very addicting, I'm up to 4 of them now!! And I sold two others, both Colts, which seem to hold their value and have great resale value should yo need to. Happy shooting...

5whiskey
June 28, 2006, 08:44 PM
Here are my pics for top in quality for their base models.

RRA, Armalite, Bushy, Colt, Olympic.

Note that the difference in the middle three is very small, IMO. The only reason I put Armalite and Bushy's over Colt is because of price. I think you pay specifically for a name with Colt. Their rifles are good, but not that good. I'd put them on the same level with Armalite quality wise. The Bushy is also very good, but some of them are finicky with ammo and the bolt and buffer is too light on their Carbines. Armalite isn't perfect, either. The action doesn't turn silky smooth untill you've run a couple of thousand rounds through it, but mine eats any ammo I feed it reliably and accuratly.

RRA, most will agree, makes the best. They're not cheap though. Armalites are usually a bit more expensive than a Bushy, but I got a military discount from the PX and wound up paying a little under 900 for mine. That's not much more than most Bushy's. Actually, that's cheaper than you'll find a Bushy some places.

My 2 cents, I'm sure I'm about to get scolded by some.

Rob96
June 29, 2006, 04:37 AM
Wow! Them Bushmaster prices are high. I carried and fired numerous Colts as an Air Force SP, and have owned 3 different DPMS ARs. The 3 DPMS units were one Classic Sixteen and two M4 types. I currently only have one, an M4. It is my opinion that DPMS puts out a very nice AR. I have never had a problem. They have always been reliable, and very accurate to boot.

Son was right in saying that ARs are like 1911s. So many different things you can do to them. My original plan was to keep mine bone stock. But after trying an M4 with vertical fore grip, I added an MI four rail handguard to my DPMS along with a vertical fore grip and weapon mounted light. I am still an iron sight shooter, and probably will be for some time.

5whiskey
June 29, 2006, 07:43 AM
I completely forgot about DPMS...

They're probably better than bushy's for the money, I'd say at least as good as Armalite.

Clayfish
June 29, 2006, 09:01 AM
The lower line olyimpic arms dont have chrome lined chambers. They are the cheapest for a reason. I would stay away unless you just want a plinker. (literaly) That was probably a plinker model you priced out.

He said he price a flattop, so it was not the plinker. Oly does not have a chromelined chamber or bbl, which for 90% of shooters is a moot point. THe have chromemoly steel barrels which are supposed to be more accurate than chrome lined. I can speak from experience that Oly makes a good product. Besides they are the only true maker of their guns. Bushy, colt and all the others contract out for their parts. Oly makes them all in house. The biggest argument I hear about Oly is that they use cast recievers, but that is not true anymore. They only use forged, even in the plinker line. Oly does make a better product than some tend to believe.

DBOUNCE1
June 29, 2006, 09:20 AM
get a Rock River can't go wrong

support_six
June 29, 2006, 09:44 AM
If a Rock River had been available to me when I was in the market, I would have bought one; however, I bought a Bushmaster standard model (I believe they call it the Target Model) with a 20" barrel, flat top, etc. It shoots well, feeds and extracts everything I've put in it, is accurate, and has great fit and finish. I bought the 20" barrel to wring every ounce of performance out of that little round. The "cool" factor of a carbine with stuff hanging off it went away when my 23 years of Army experience was up. The rifle was $829 from the local gun store.

jhgreasemonkey
June 29, 2006, 10:20 AM
THe have chromemoly steel barrels which are supposed to be more accurate than chrome lined. I can speak from experience that Oly makes a good product. Besides they are the only true maker of their guns.
I guess I havent stayed very current on Olyimpic arms. These are some good points to consider.

wileyj
June 29, 2006, 10:21 AM
I just took a new Bushmaster Dissipator home woth me for $850. I could have bought a DPMS for about $100 less and others for less online. But I have a good shop to back me up now.
I got it yesterday so I have not been to the range yet.
but I LIKE IT!!!!!

KimberTLE.45
June 29, 2006, 05:15 PM
Well I think I know what I want. I want a removeable handle (a3-right) What does a1,2,3,4 stand for. As well as H-bar? Anyway I also would like a 16" barrel but, I want a barrel that is the same diameter for the entire length of the barrel. A lot of the M4's I have looked at have that dip for about an inch before the end up the barrel. What is the purpose or that? Anyway, could you guys tell me what I should be looking to pay for like a set-up like that? THANKS!! :D

fal762
June 29, 2006, 05:42 PM
Here is what I believe all the terms to be.

A1- fixed carry handle, windage adjustable rear sight
A2- fixed carry handle, elevation & windage adjustable rear sight
A3- removable A2 style carry handle
A4- I think it applies only to the M-16 not the Ar-15. Change from full auto to burst mode in the trigger group.

H-Bar Heavy barrel (this is what it sounds like you want). This barrel is thicker under the handguards than forward of the front sight, but not by much.

M-4 This barrel is turned down thinner under the handguards than forward of the sight block. The little dip is for the mounting of the M-203 grenade launcher.

As far as prices go, a Bushmaster 16" H-bar with removable hanguard is listed at $1085.00. You can probably get it cheaper. Other makers might be less.

KimberTLE.45
June 29, 2006, 07:51 PM
I would like to get this gun, http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa3s16.asp but with a 6-position adjustable stock and bird cage flash suppressor. Is there any way to get that config. from the factory?

TRaGiK
June 29, 2006, 09:01 PM
You mean like this?: http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/bcwa3f16.asp

KimberTLE.45
July 1, 2006, 11:06 PM
Well Guys, How did I do?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=51699603

5whiskey
July 2, 2006, 12:46 AM
If you got this rifle with the two stocks for anything under 800 you STOLE it. Anything within a 1000 is a reasonable price. The last posted price on the link was 680. If you got it for that or under GOD himself was aiding you in that purchase. You didn't do bad at all... and congrats, although I am jealous.

Wheeler

July 5, 2006, 09:23 AM
AR15 deficiencies (http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=56;t=000497#000000)

Which AR (http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=744121#post744121)

sparkysteve
July 6, 2006, 09:12 PM
It sounds like you already found one, but Silver Bullet Firearms in Grand Rapids, MI is a Rock River Dealer. Great store, great help, good prices, classes, indoor range, worth checking out.

http://www.silverbuletfirearms.com