PDA

View Full Version : Sig 228 sites

MWarken
June 26, 2006, 07:46 PM
I just recently purchased a Sig 228 9mm. It did not come with night sights and I want to get them installed. Is sending it back to Sig to get the sights installed the best option? Or should I look for a local shop to do it? Is there a certain style/brand that I should get, I'm new at purchasing night sights, so any help would be appreciative!

AK103K
June 26, 2006, 08:18 PM
Your local shop can probably do it, or SIG for sure. I have a number of SIG's, so I bought the sight tool, which runs around $80-100 depending on where you get it. With it, its very easy to swap your own. The tool also can be used to adjust your sights for zero, windage wise.

I believe SIG is now using Meprolights. I have had both, Trijicon and Meprolights, and like the Mepro's better. You may also want to look at the TruGlo's.

All SIG sights have a number on them, usually something like 8 front and 8 rear, or 6 front and 8 rear, etc, depending on the gun and caliber. If you get your own, you want to get the same heights. Unless of course, you want to change your zero. At the rear of your manual, there should be a section explaining the differences. I believe each number on the front sight changes vertical impact by 2".

TrooperSon
June 26, 2006, 08:44 PM
Some people love night sights. Some don't. Personally, I'm not a fan. If I'm in a situation where I can't reliably point and shoot, then I probably should not be taking the shot (or the law could have a field day arguing that I did have options to escape, etc.). "You shot the BG from 60 feet away, are we to believe that you had no chance of escape?" . . ...

My theory is that a justifiable self defense shot will be at much closer range like 10 yards or less, reasonable distance for point and shoot results. At that distance and in dark conditions, I like a tac light over night sights cause I won't really be using the sights at that distance in a time critical situation. Night sights also assume that your BG is illuminated, but if it is dark what are you going to put the sights on? If you get a tac light with integrated laser, even better.

Just my perspective.