PDA

View Full Version : Savage MK II BV; How accurate?

MP-44
June 26, 2006, 07:29 PM
http://www.savagearms.com/markiibv.htm

How does it compare to the CZ-452?

HankC1
June 26, 2006, 08:32 PM
My 22LR get 3/8" C to C group at 50 yds bench rest with subsonic ammo. Very happy with it. While Savage MK2 BVs come with laminated stock at around $200 which is the price range for a CZ 452 trainner, I would think it has much better value.

Maximus856
June 26, 2006, 11:15 PM
I have the 'light' barreled one, and if I do my part I can get them through the same hole (3 shots) at 25 yards using $8 bricks of remington thunderbolts. I got mine for $180 out the door with a simmons 3-9. I have mine thrown on a bipod as well. Personally I think it's a great rifle and theres a website that has almost everything you wanted. I checked the clearance on the bed/barrel, and it had no hang ups from the end of the stock all the way to the receiver. Only thing I wanna do is a trigger job, and maybe a differant bolt since IMO it's kinda small.

http://www.savageshooters.net/sharpshooters/index.html

I highly reccomend it..

-Max.

arcticap
June 27, 2006, 12:06 AM
I have both rifles, an older Savage without the Accu-trigger and the cheaper Birch European stocked schnabel CZ 452. The Savage could use a trigger job, and there was a Rifle Basix trigger for it that a friend installed on his that feels great. Long range accuracy requires the right ammo, and I've seen pix of great groups using some RWS Hunting Ammo ($$) at long range. Mine shoots Thunderbolts fine for closer range and I need to test more ammo. I like the way the Savage holds and it is forgiving with the heavy barrel, but I don't know that I would like the Accu-trigger safety thingy. Mine is blue laminate by the way and the bolt is heavy duty. Another thing is that the bullets enter the chamber going in at an extreme upward angle, so that the nose might get deformed just a little bit. No feeding problem, but I recommend single round feeding if someone's fanatically concerned about bullet deformation and accuracy.
My son likes the CZ 452 better than the Savage, it's the European stock and was a lot cheaper than the Walnut American version. The barrel totally rubs on one side so it isn't properly freefloated at all. I've heard many are that way. It doesn't really affect accuracy at closer ranges, but might at long range. And the longer, lighter barrel is subject to a little more muzzle rise with high velocity rounds. The bolt fires very fast when the trigger is pulled, but on some models just isn't as smooth to operate as the Savage's. The American stock isn't as comfortable for me as the Savage is either, mostly because I'm shorter. But when I clean the CZ barrel, I've never come across another make with a barrel as tight as the CZ. It's accuracy potential may be superior to the Savage, especially the Walnut CZ models which are properly freefloated. But since that doesn't matter as much to me as the comfort factor, I opt for the Savage as the best bang for the buck. However, most folks including my son, would say that the CZ wins in the accuracy department hands down. But the cast steel collar locking system on the CZ bolt can be considered sort of rough and crude, as well as the entire CZ receiver, while the Savage's is machined and more like an Anschutz. While it generally might not compare in the accuracy department to one, it still has lots of accuracy potential. :D

HankC1
June 27, 2006, 10:51 AM
Savage trigger can be improved simply by shimming up the trigger assembly to reduce trigger engagement and therefore reduce pull weight and crisper break.