PDA

View Full Version : Bersa 380 Thunder?

duckmart
June 17, 2006, 07:41 PM
Does anyone have any feed back on this model? The prices seems too good to be true. I'm not going to use it for HD (got my gp100 for that) just an all around backpack gun. Thanks.

johnsonrlp
June 17, 2006, 07:47 PM
My buddy got one for plinking 'cause their cheap and the ammo's pretty cheap. He's never had a problem with it, enjoys it once a week. The recoil is a bit much for target shooting IMHO but it seems to be a decent little gun for the price. I'm thinking about getting one in 9 for the wife.

ZBoater
June 17, 2006, 08:09 PM
I have two Bersa Thunder 380s - the regular and the concealed carry model. I've put a couple hundred rounds through each and they are both accurate and reliable. If you do a Google search on Bersa Thunder 380 you will find that most of the feedback on this gun is overwhelmingly positive (unlike my Walther PPK/S-1, which most feedback is negative, and despite that I think its a GREAT gun). The great thing about the Bersa is that is it light, highly concealable, and its also fun to shoot at the range. The $200+ price tag is also very, very nice. The concealed carry model is not as much fun at the range (has very low profile sights) but it is even lighter, a bit slimmer and shorter (about 20 oz loaded with 8+1), making it an EXCELLENT carry gun in the HOT, HUMID Florida weather. :D

croyance
June 17, 2006, 08:55 PM
Gun Blast (http://www.gunblast.com) had a good review.

BUCKMARK
June 17, 2006, 10:30 PM
A friend bought one for his wife. She carries it more than she shoots it, but I'd guess that it has 500 or so trouble free rounds through it now.

gb_in_ga
June 17, 2006, 10:35 PM
Bersa Thunder .380? I've got one (a duo-tone) that I've run just over 5000 rounds through. In general, it has been a pretty good gun. Not without issues, but well worth the $219 that I paid for it. The mags are somewhat on the pricey side (do yourself a favor and avoid the Pro-Mag mags, you are better off buying genuine Bersa mags instead). Most varieties of ammo feed well, but I've found that mine does not like WWB or Wolf FMJs. MagTech FMJ seems to be the best range ammo for mine. All premium quality self defense JHPs I've tried have functioned well, including HydraShoks and Gold Dots. Accuracy is really good, the trigger (both DA and SA) is surprisingly good. The sights on the non-CCW models aren't at all bad -- big enough to be visible and still small enough to avoid problems with carry. It does not tend to bite the hand that shoots it, unlike some other similar size .380 autos.

For more info, discussion and such you might want to check out BersaTalk (http://bersatalk.com/default.aspx) and the Bersa Chapterhouse (http://www.geocities.com/bersa_thunder/) websites.

For some other field reports, articles and such, check out Stephen Camp's "Other Handguns" page here (http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/OtherHandguns.htm), there are several articles that are concerned with Bersa Thunder .380s.

gb_in_ga
June 17, 2006, 10:48 PM
I'm thinking about getting one in 9 for the wife.
I picked up a full size Bersa Thunder 9 (which is a 9mm, of course) a few months ago, used. I've been quite impressed with it. At first I had a few extraction failures that turned out to be crud related since it cleared up after a thorough cleaning of the extractor. Accuracy, ergos, etc are all really good. The only real downside that I've encountered has been the price of the mags, but that is a 1 time cost.

From what I understand, the Thunder 9 compact is almost identical (just smaller) and just about everyone I've heard from who has one has been pleased with them.

Dead-Nuts-Zero
June 17, 2006, 11:31 PM
I have a Duo-Tone .380 and I really enjoy shooting it.
As gb_in_ga said...In general, it has been a pretty good gun. Not without issues, but well worth the $219 that I paid for it.

I found mine new at $199.99 and I thought it had to be junk for that price. It fit my hands and just feels like the perfect gun so I took a chance on it. Once I got it homw, I soon found out how popular they were. However, I did have to send it in for a slide release problem but had it back in about 10 days. They have a life time warranty for the original owner. They even called me from the repair center to make sure they had covered the problems before returning it. I did have a few tiny little adjustments made as long as it was in the shop. No complaints with the service or the repairs.

I have about 1200 rounds of MagTech through it and not one problem other than the above mentioned. And a few assorted defense rounds I tried when it was very dirty, all with no problems. Great litle gun!

Now about the expensive factory mags issue, I have 4 Pro-Mags for it that I bought new for about 14 bucks ea. and have not had even one little problem with them. Maybe I am lucky, or maybe the Pro-Mag/Bersa issue is a myth or maybe a story that got out of hand. Almost everyone seems to mention it. I have them, I use them, and they work great for me. FWIW!

I don't think you will regret owning the Thunder .380. I hope to get a 9mm and a .22 someday, but you know how it is....sooooo many guns, and soooo little time (and cash)!

Do the searches and read the reviews, they are kinda like Glocks, either love em or hate em. My bet is that the haters are the ones who never really owned one. Much like the Glock complainers (IMO that is).

kymasabe
June 17, 2006, 11:50 PM
My CCW instructor had one, he's been carrying it for years and he claims he has over 10,000 rounds thru the thing. Good value for the money, overall good reviews, most owners are quite pleased with them. The Firestorm .380 is basically the same gun with rubber finger-groove grips...just in case you find one of them cheaper than the Bersa.

michael t
June 18, 2006, 01:03 AM
well all I can add is come visit
http://bersatalk.com

gb_in_ga
June 18, 2006, 11:23 AM
The Firestorm .380 is basically the same gun with rubber finger-groove grips...just in case you find one of them cheaper than the Bersa.
Well, actually the Firestorm .380s have curved trigger guards and fixed rear sights (floatable), as opposed to the squared "tactical" trigger guards and windage adjustable sights on the Bersa .380s.

Otherwise, they are the same gun. Yes, the Firestorm grips will fit on the Bersas.

Michael T: Fancy meeting you here! Lookin' for new grounds for hunting them zombies and mousebucks?:D

Dirty_Harry
June 18, 2006, 11:27 AM
Never heard a bad thing about it.

choochboost
June 18, 2006, 09:57 PM
After waiting the totally awesome California 10-day waiting period...I pick mine up on Thursday!

TxPhantom
June 19, 2006, 07:15 PM
I've put around 500 rounds through mine. No major problems, just lost a grip screw & ordered another & a extra one on line for a total cost of $5.00. Took about eight days. I Had a few FTE's at first but shoots great now. My BersaT380 is my primary concealed carry weapon in the hot months. Fun to shoot. Probably one of the best values on the market. I paid $189.00 for my Duo Tone, NIB. IMO it's highly underrated by most gun people, probably because of the cost.

Go to www.bersatalk.com & www.gunblast.com for more info. from some knowledgeable people.

Pinky Carruthers
June 19, 2006, 10:45 PM
Feedback on the .380s is overwhelmingly positive. I recently bought a Thunder 9 UC and Thunder 9 fullsize and couldn't be happier with them. Bersa makes a nice pistol.

Huchahucha
June 19, 2006, 11:01 PM
I've got the FIRESTORM version. For the price I can't complain about the gun. The only bad thing I've experienced is the finish. The first time I cleaned it I used some Break Free Powder Blast, and it ate some of the finish.
Oh, watch the thumb on your support hand if you shoot two handed. I repositioned my thumb one time and caught my nail in the exposed notch for the slide stop, ripping a nice chunk off.

RedBird
June 19, 2006, 11:27 PM
I had two 380 Thunders they were great. no feed problems Felt good in the hand. I removed the shot from a Magsafe round put three small nail points in the tip ang held them in place with super glue. I fired the round at my Kevlar vest. Yep right through and went almost two inchs in a phone book behind it. I also have used magsafe round to defened my self aginst an 225 lb intruder. i stacked mt rounds so that the first two were ball ammo & the next two were magsafe & so on. The first two ball rounds hit him in the uper left chest with no imedate reaction , but when the magsafe hit him below sturm to right of center he stoped took a step back fell down dead. almost no exturnel bleeding. My Bersa saved my life & so did the Magsafe, they are worth the price.

j1132s
June 20, 2006, 02:27 PM
I have one, it is very accurate due to its simple, fixed barrel design. Mine has never had any malfunctions even when brand new. Overall, it is an excellent value.

The only complaint I have is not w/ the gun but w/ its extra magazine cost, which is expensive at $30... especially when the gun is only $200.

Bullrock
June 20, 2006, 02:35 PM
Dirty Harry, Never heard a bad thing about it

Sorry to be the first, but every magazine I put through my little duotone had an FTE or two in it. It's gone!!!

Now before I get jumped on...I must have bought a lemon, because almost every review and post I've read about the Bersa Thunder is positive....:D :D

Trip20
June 20, 2006, 02:46 PM
My duo-tone never misfed or misfired, of course I only had about 500-600rnds through it, but that's a pretty good track record. Sold it a couple months ago. Kicking myself in the behind.

I will say that I hated the finish on the slide. But the gun looked great, was reliable, and was probably one of the most accurate little guns I've had the pleasure of shooting.

I'm getting another but probably in all nickel. And watch, it'll probably be a lemon further driving home the need to kick myself in the rear-end for getting rid of one that fed wonderfully.

O/U Mike
June 21, 2006, 10:30 PM
Just picked up a new one in nickel tonight. Cleaning now. Will file range report. Initial reaction is very positive. $259 NIB before tax. It points very naturally. END:)

duckmart
June 21, 2006, 11:01 PM
Thanks guys; I just ordered a two tone today. Regretably I live in CA. and have to wait the 10 day waiting period ( I guess that's what the lawmakers think the cooling off period is) before I can pick it up. Thanks again.

Logs
June 22, 2006, 01:51 PM
Awesome gun for the money. Mine has over 300 round through it without a problem. Typically you find them around $200.

O/U Mike
June 25, 2006, 10:13 PM
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214352

DWARREN123
June 26, 2006, 04:13 AM
I have a Duo Tone Bersa Thunder .380, fine little auto loader for the money. No problems, accurate and fun to shoot. Would use it for a B.U.G.

choochboost
June 26, 2006, 12:39 PM
The one complaint I have about my Bersa is the sharp edge on the tang that digs into my hand. I have to do something about that.

Bullrock
June 26, 2006, 01:09 PM
choochboost, The one complaint I have about my Bersa is the sharp edge on the tang that digs into my hand. I have to do something about that.
Been there...The recoil on my Bersa used to push the tang into the base knuckle on my thumb, and turn it black. Shooting in pain is not my idea of fun, so I sold it. :(

Trip20
June 26, 2006, 01:53 PM
choochboost and Bullrock -- I took a smooth round rasp to mine for the same reason. I actually got cut at the base of my thumb knuckle from those sharp edges (and 4 boxes of ammo range time).

Some careful filing (taking all of 5-10 minutes) solved that problem and it was much more comfortable to shoot.

Be advised that this will change the look of the pistol as the frame will become shiney where ever you file or sand. But for a $200 gun I didn't care. I sold it, and the seller didn't mind either.

novaDAK
June 26, 2006, 02:00 PM
I was looking at a Bersa .380, but ended up with an unissued Bulg. Makarov for a much smaller price after tax is factored in. I haven't heard anything bad about the bersa though.

HankC1
June 26, 2006, 06:08 PM
"The one complaint I have about my Bersa is the sharp edge on the tang that digs into my hand. I have to do something about that."

I had the same problem. I just use a self stick rubber furniture cushion pad on the tang to space it away from my thumb knuckle and solved the problem. Some folks rounded off the edges, but I did not want to break the factory finish.

Hank

Bullrock
June 26, 2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks Hank! I don't have my Bersa anymore but I still do have this problem with serveral others, and will try your recommendation out...:D

choochboost
June 26, 2006, 07:13 PM
I just use a self stick rubber furniture cushion pad
Not sure what you're referring to here. Got a link with a pic?

HankC1
June 26, 2006, 08:56 PM
I think they call it bumper pad. You can find it at hardware stores. I use square one and fit the tang just fine. I did not even bother to trim it. pictures attached.

hank

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/HankC_2006/BersaTangpad2.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/HankC_2006/BersaTangpad1.jpg

mjrodney
June 27, 2006, 03:39 AM
Regretably, I have to add my name to the list of folks who experienced the tang digging into the knuckle of the thumb.

After only 30 rounds, I cleaned it, put it back into it's box and traded it.

With more than a little regret, too, for other than this one flaw, it appeared to be a great gun for the money.

If I ever run across a used one for a low asking price, I may just send it off to a gunsmith for reshaping of the tang and an overall re-finish of the exterior.