PDA

View Full Version : Remington ammo and Colts

auberg
June 11, 2006, 04:13 PM
Hey guys, I want to throw something out to see what you guys think.

I headed out to the range today with my brother. He just got a new Kimber that he wanted to try. I took my Colt Defender and Government model out since it had been a while since they had seen the range. I had some shells, a few Blazers and probably some Federals that fed and extracted fine. My brother had some match grades that he gave me a few to try, and went fine in both pistols. While I was at the range I bought a box of Remingtons and with both pistols I had extraction problems. My assessment is that something about the shells were the problem. Would others of you agree, with this level of information? The actual problem was that it was leaving the spent case partially or fully in the chamber. It was easy to clear, but It was quite a few shells out of maybe 40 rounds fired. Maybe like 6 or 7.

Thanks for your input.

Frank

MRL21
June 11, 2006, 05:36 PM
Im not sure what type of remington ammo you had, but I shoot the 100 round box of 230gr hollow points from Wal-Mart in my HK. I have not had any problems with jams of any type. I've noticed and have read reports that this ammo is dirtier than some others. So that maybe what created your feeding problems. I don't know how often you clean your guns or how they handle getting dirty, but that might be what you can look at. I usually clean my gun after 200 rds of this ammo. I am a fan of the hollow point remingtons, they do a great job on the jackrabbits I use them for.

MrApathy
June 12, 2006, 12:19 AM
umc?

RickB
June 12, 2006, 12:27 AM
I was having some extraction/ejection problems with handloads. Helpful friends suggested it was extractor tension (extraction) or a too-strong recoil spring (ejection). I was getting 1% failures with a near-max load, and when I increased the load to max (.1 grain increase), the failures jumped to 10%. When I changed to a slower-burning powder, the problems completely disappeared. It appeared that the gun was trying to extract the rounds while the chamber pressure was too high; could be the Remington rounds use a fast-burning powder that your gun doesn't "like".

res1b3uq
June 12, 2006, 05:27 PM
I have recently traded for an old Auto Ordnance, and had bought a box of Remington at Wally World. (They were out of WWB)
First time out went fine. I did not clean the pistol after shooting. Second time out the pistol began to jam, like a Auto ord is supposed to. When I got the pistol home, I tore it down, and you would have thought it had not been cleaned in ten years or so. I'm glad the Remingtons are gone, and Wally World got WWB's in again.:p

Mannlicher
June 12, 2006, 05:34 PM
you could well have found a brand that just won't work in your pistols. I know that UMC (Remmington) won't feed reliably in my Commander.

auberg
June 12, 2006, 06:10 PM
Thanks. I've had the Government model for years. (since 1992) and it has never done this, clean or dirty. The Defender is relatively new to me, I've had it about a year. It just seemed odd that they both did it with the same ammo, and not the others that I ran through them.