PDA

View Full Version : Soda Bottle Silencer... is it true?

adephue
June 10, 2006, 04:23 PM
Hey friends,

A guy I know told me that he heard that you could fix a 2 or 3 liter bottle to the end of your rifle and use it as 'a one time silencer'. I'm not ready to walk out the backdoor and try this, but just for gee-wiz, has anyone else ever heard of this or tried it?

smince
June 10, 2006, 06:16 PM
In the early 80's there was an adapter to screw one to MAC 10 threads. Worked for a few rounds, but I think ATF classified it as NFA.:rolleyes:

Crosshair
June 10, 2006, 06:49 PM
They had 2 and 3 liter polyethylene terephthalate bottles back then?
Probably not, but I bet there where plenty of containers available that would have worked.

VUPDblue
June 10, 2006, 07:00 PM
seems like I saw for sale just the other day somewhere online an adapter for the Walther p22 that allowed a soda bottle to be attached. I'll see if I can find it. However, if one were to attach a soda bottle to any firearm and create a sound signature that is even 1 db quieter than without, he/she would be commiting a violation of the National Firearms Act.

MeekAndMild
June 10, 2006, 09:16 PM
Somehow the mental picture of all you guys walking around in trying to carry a riflewith a 3 liter coke bottle attached strikes me as hilarious! :D "Why no, officer, I'm not trying to steal this coke bottle! You see its empty. NoI wasn't planning on littering... What? Rifle? Well, its a long story. I was trying out my tactical duct tape and I ended up getting my rifle all stuck to it and then there was a guy with a coke bottle...well yes, a big guy...he threatened to beat me up unless I...its sort of like this...no I haven't been drinking! Of course its not loaded!?"

VUPDblue
June 10, 2006, 09:26 PM
Meek is right. Especially in reference to my post about the Walther adapter. Kind of funny that the whole gun could fit inside the improvised 'silencer". I think I'll just stick with Gemtech....

Besides, shouldn't this be in the NFA board..?

TPAW
June 10, 2006, 09:42 PM
In vietnam the charlies used em as their primary silencer on 22lr rifles for close combat in town

I spent 1967 and 1968 there in combat, never saw one? :confused:

VUPDblue
June 10, 2006, 09:55 PM
'rifles', 'close combat' and '.22lr' don't belong in the same sentence:p

adephue
June 10, 2006, 10:01 PM
I can't imagine charley using 22lr but hey... I didn't hatch until 1979, so I have no basis for authority on the debate. What I am most curious about is why such a device would or would not work.

It seems to me that a plain soda bottle might muffle sound a bit, but I would think the bottle would need to be lined w/ steel wool or some other type of sound absorbing material.

BTW... I am a law abiding citizen, so you won't catch me driving to the range with a soda bottle duct taped to the end of my rifle.

Curiosity is the driving force here.

kdmoore
June 10, 2006, 10:58 PM
full cans of beer, taped to the end of the gun.

Go ahead, try it .. it works great. And if I'm lying, you can drive right down to the PD and report me ....

where's the sarcasm smilie ...

tomh1426
June 10, 2006, 11:51 PM
I heard of using a oil filter screwed on the end of a .22.
Seems like it would adsorb alotta sound and be reusable.

Johnny Guest
June 11, 2006, 01:43 AM
Is it my imagination or have a couple of our members just confessed to commission of a federal felony on an open-to-the-public discussion board?

I have no idea if this activity would really attract action by BATFE, or if my deletion of the "confession" replies will save anyone, but I'll give 'er a try.

Be advised: IT IS CONTRARY TO TFL POLICY TO PLAN TO COMMIT A VIOLATION OF THE LAW - - ANY LAW. Next person who discusses same gets banned. No other warning. THIS is your warning.

Is there anything unclear about this?

Johnny Guest