PDA

View Full Version : Question about Drop compesator or Turrets

Delynn
June 9, 2006, 01:00 PM
I just bought a Remington Sendero SF II in 300 win mag. I love the groups I am getting from this rifle at 100 yards. .50 to .75 MOA. 180 grain Hornady sst. I am looking at getting a new scope to try some target shooting and maybe hunting out to 600 yards. Even though I have never shoot that far before, I have never had a rifle shoot this good before. I have seen a video where they have to dial the scope to the range they are shooting. That was COOL! I have read a little about these but the data is overwhelming and confusing. The Hornady 180 sst should be about 2980 fps but I have not tested in my rifle yet. Any advice in this field. Don't hold anything back. The Good, Bad, and Ugly about these gadgets. I like all advice even it is not the norm. Thanks in advance. Delynn

MTMilitiaman
June 9, 2006, 01:53 PM
If you can give them a drop chart and/or an accurate BC/velocity, Leupold will make and install a custom BDC elevation turrent for their scopes. It costs like $160 and you have to send the scope into them--it must of course be a Leupold scope. Otherwise, your closest bet is probably going to be finding a scope set up for a .300 match load, like maybe a 190 gr Matchking, and assuming the BC and velocity numbers are close enough to match your trajectory.

Delynn
June 12, 2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks, That sounds good. I will look into it. I shot my rifle again and the groups seem to be getting tighter everytime I shoot. I will look up Leupold and give them a call. Thanks for all your help. Delynn

Zak Smith
June 12, 2006, 10:36 AM
No need for a custom cam, just get a scope with an external elevation knob. See http://demigod.org/optics for a pretty detailed explanation of LR optics

rezmedic54
June 12, 2006, 11:24 AM
I just picked up an ATN scope with a built in BCD. It came with several different cams .223,.308.7mm rem mag, and 3 others my best guess is it is designed for the most common factory specs and bullet weight. The cams are set for a max of 500 yds right now it's to dang hot to see if it works being in the mid 100's here so I really can't tell you if it works. But when the weather cool down some ( under 90) I'll be glad to let you know. I got this cause been thinking of shooting comp. and am really new this rifle shooting. Am a pistol shooter for the most part. Be Safe Out There.

Wildalaska
June 12, 2006, 11:41 AM
When I selected an optic for the Blaser, 3.5-10x40 LR/T with TMR and FF I chose the target turrets (M1) for the following reason:

1/4 minute clicks!

I am working on drop tables and fell I will be able to dial them in more accurately than with BDC turrets

But I defer to Zaks expertise in this area, by the way Zak great page, got some verbiage on how to do TMR? :)

WildzakisgodAlaska

Death from Afar
June 13, 2006, 06:54 PM
Get a stoney point target knob on to your exixting scope, play with the gun, tape a range table to the side of the stock, and you will be laughing for hours.

Eghad
June 13, 2006, 07:04 PM
Good stuff Mr. Zak

dfaugh
June 14, 2006, 07:27 AM
Personally, I prefer a scope with a mildot reticle...Don't have to change settings at all, once its sighted in.....Can be used for rangefinding and bullet drop(and even windage). Just make up a "cheat sheet" for your pet loads w/ holdover points for various ranges.

Harley Quinn
June 14, 2006, 08:53 AM
Everyone of you should go over there and read that one:eek: talk about a failure to communicate:D :D

Physics is the interaction of matter and energy, now the topic over there is like giving some one a physic.
I don't know if it is spelled the same way or not??? But it is easy to misinterpret if you are having a failure to communicate:rolleyes:

HQ;)