PDA

View Full Version : Range Report, Blaser LRS2 Part 1

Wildalaska
May 29, 2006, 10:31 PM
So the big day was planned for Saturday when I, WA, actually get a day off from work. Friday night I meet my erstwhile companion Spaceman Spiff (also known now as Rushmore thanks to the comic Gallagher who noted his resemblence to a block of granite carved out of a mountain). We imbibe a bit, then I drop my freind off at the local girly bar with the warning that I will drag his butt out of bed at 8am.

8am arrives, my buddy is severly hung over. I give him the Colt Commando to cure the headache.

Now me, because of my hyperactive social life, have not had a chance to load any 6.5x55 for the new toy. I grab me a box of my hoarded Norma 139 grain Vulcans. I also have 50 rounds of my pet load for the 308 which is 40 grains of RL15 pushing out 185 grain Scenar from Lapua cases. This shot sub MOA out of my SSG.

Got a Leupold LR tactical 3.5x10 front focal with target knobs mounted with the Blaser QD mount. Set up the rifle on the bipod...proceed to put 4 shots of the Norma in a cloverleaf and a fifth flyer opening it out to an inch. Switch to 308 and now popping sub MOA.

Pics of tagets to follow.

Mirage was heavy and there was a lot of wind and dust (mostly caused by berm hosing with the machine gun). Also, there are so many adjustments on the stock of this rifle that I still dont have it set so it is exactly comfortable for me. But, I will say this....this one is gonna be a one holer! And it is fast with that strraight pull!

More to follow

WildnewtoyAlaska

scheirere
May 31, 2006, 11:57 AM
WA,
I know what your going through with the stock. I've had my LRS2 for about 7 weeks now and I still can't get totally comfortable with it. Got close but still kinda prefer the feel of the "traditional" stock on my Sig STR970. Mine's barreled in .300 win. mag and put the last of my Remington 190gr. match ammo into a sub-1/2" group, so I'm sure your gunna like what you get from yours in the end. BTW, any idea of what to do for a forward sling mount? I'm at a loss for what to mount in the factory rail on the bottom of the stock and really want to get a bi-pod for this thing.

Wildalaska
May 31, 2006, 12:46 PM
Im using a realParker Hale Bipod (which I can now get from Rohtgery at great prices nyah ha ha) and leaving the sling mounts on the side of the stock...

This week I am gonna bring the trigger back and adjust weight

Heres some targets, best measures .652 with my 308 load...cant wait to put the 6.5 match loads in there....the throat on the 6.5 is 3.157! Hope the mag box is long enough :)

WildsandpaperingthefingerAlaska

spacemanspiff
May 31, 2006, 12:53 PM
Apparently WA can't quite figure out how to manage attachments, so he has to turn to me for help.

So me, being the supporting friend that is always there to listen to him whine and cry about his lot in life, will give you all his so-called 'godly' groups. And I didn't even have to pepper him with brass casings for him to get such good groups!
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-1/606975/blasergroups.jpg

meanoldman
May 31, 2006, 03:56 PM
That's pretty good for 25 yards. How does she do when you back out a little?

:D

Wildalaska
May 31, 2006, 04:04 PM
Havent tried yet :)

WildspiffissomeantomeAlaska

spacemanspiff
May 31, 2006, 04:14 PM
If you want to be treated like a human, ya gotta act like one. :D

spacemanyoudidntevenletmeshootyourblaserspiff

Wildalaska
May 31, 2006, 04:29 PM
spacemanyoudidntevenletmeshootyourblaserspiff

You could barely hit the berm with a machine gun, you werent fir for precsion work :)

WildgunsarefunAlaska

sm
May 31, 2006, 04:41 PM
Mr. Wildalaska,
Mr. Spiffy,

[forgive my typing , I have a injured weak hand and finger <holds bandage up to monitor "see"].

Thank you for a wonderful, educational, and informative review of the Blaser LRS2 Part 1 ; I look forward to Part II, or should that be Part 2 ? [bandage is confused].

Respectfully,

Steve

spacemanspiff
May 31, 2006, 04:45 PM
Least I wasn't the doofus trying to shoot the commando one handed and letting the rounds fly over the berm.

spacemannowsthepartwheresomeonesaysOhhhhhhhSnappp!spiff

Wildalaska
May 31, 2006, 05:05 PM
Thank you for a wonderful, educational, and informative review of the Blaser LRS2 Part 1 ; I look forward to Part II, or should that be Part 2 ? .
[B]

I might make it Part I continued or if this one stays open longer, Part 1 redux...

Ill let Spiffy shoot it if hes not hungover :)

WildstraightpullAlaska

FirstFreedom
May 31, 2006, 07:46 PM
That's pretty good for 25 yards. How does she do when you back out a little?

oooh, ouch! :)

Man I'm jealous. How long does the bbl change take?

Wildalaska
May 31, 2006, 08:03 PM
About 5 minutes or less including scope dismounting/mounting

WildhasnttrieditforspeedyetAlaska

meanoldman
May 31, 2006, 09:35 PM
Any significant recoil difference between the 6.5 and .308? How about the scope? Have to dial between the cartridges or are they close?

David

Wildalaska
May 31, 2006, 11:20 PM
Recoil is significantly less with the 6.5

IIRC, about 5 inches difference between the two, however since I was shooting Norma factroy 6.5 ammo Im ignoring that right now till I get my match loads done

Im waiting for the Lyman to warm up right now to load up some more 308

Wildrl15Alaska