PDA

View Full Version : 7.5x55 ammo- different markings in same box

Cowman
May 26, 2006, 09:58 PM
I was out shooting my K31 a few days ago, using some of the surplus ammo from AIM when I came across 3 cartraiges out of one box that were different than the others. All of the ammo, except for these 3 that I've gone through so far are marked like this:
a number at the top, usualy a 9 or 4 which I understand to be the month of manufacture. At the bottom there's a 78 which I understand to be the year of manufacture. on the left there's a "T" and to the right an "A"

However these other cartraiges have 11 at the top, 53 at the bottom, to the left and right there's just a star and the primer cap has red paint or ink on it. I tried to take a pic of this but it was too blurry to read anything.

The cartraiges themselves are clearly different too. The red paint ones are taller and the diameter at the bullet end is just slightly larger. I wish I had one that wasn't fired to compare more closely but I didn't noticed until I was picking up brass.

http://www.thecowman.com/pics/swiss-odd.jpg
The 78 is on the left, the red paint 53 is on the right.

I'm not sure what this means, probably nothing but it's interesting and I can't explain it. Maybe someone knows?

Limeyfellow
May 27, 2006, 01:17 AM
The GP11 round has changed a little bit over the years. This is one of those times between the 50s and 70s. They altered again in the early 80s.