PDA

View Full Version : Ruger P-90 or other DA/SA 45 ACP

45reloader
May 25, 2006, 04:43 PM
I'm looking for another 45acp gun and like my 345 Ruger,and I'm thinking the P-90 would make a great range gun since it full sized and seem's to be the best Ruger 45 acp.

What do you think? this gun or something else DA/SA safety or decocker.

RsqVet
May 25, 2006, 05:30 PM
If you like ruger it's a fine gun, ruger autos are good but a little clunky for my taste --- the 345 takes care of some of that. Give a sig 220 / 245 a look as well if you want to it's a fine gun or the older smith da / sa autos, sadly they are all alloy frame now and not that many around. The sig can be had in an all stainless frame that will definatly outlast most lifetimes.

LH2
May 25, 2006, 05:32 PM
Seems alot of guys who have tried both the P345 and the P90 actually prefer the P90.

The P90 sounds like a great range gun/fun gun - accurate and reliable.

If your P345 is a decocker then I'd get another D model, otherwise if you like the manual safety, go for it.

TheGreatGonzo
May 25, 2006, 05:38 PM
I would strongly consider the Ruger P97DC. Of course I say this because I own one and it has given me no problems, but it really is a fine handgun as long as the "polymer"(plastic) grip frame dosen't bother you. I like the P97 over the P90 because the P90 is slightly chunkier than the '97. I also like the polymer, it doesn't seem to lower the weight of the weapon enough to make the recoil increase, and rust is no problem.

P.S. Get yourself a can of Rem-oil along with the P97 if you buy one, 'cause you need to lube that sucker good to have it run completely flawlessly, don't shoot it dry.

retiredchief
May 25, 2006, 08:42 PM
I would strongly recommend the P90. Rugged, Reliable, Accurate.
Shoots anything I stuff in it. They last and last. Great range
and personal protection piece.

LH2
May 25, 2006, 09:00 PM
I hadn't handled a P90 until today. I checked out the P345 & P90 side by side. The P345, for me, handled better. Easier to reach the slide stop lever and the slimmer grip is nicer for my small-med hands. If you've got bigger hands then the P90 with Hogues may actually feel better.

rhgunguy
May 25, 2006, 09:09 PM
Look at the CZ-97. The only problems I had were with Wolf ammo. I might look into doing some work on mine for an L-10 gun.

xnavy
May 25, 2006, 09:15 PM
I have a ruger p89 that has eaten everything I have ever thrown at it. With that said I decided I wanted a .45 and opted for a baby eagle instead of another ruger. I love the way the baby eagle .45 feels in my hand and it shoots like a dream. I would definetly recommend the .45 baby eagle from magnum research. Great fun for the price.

retiredchief
May 26, 2006, 07:28 PM
The stainless model is easy to maintain. I liked the trigger on
it somewhat better than the 345.. but, everyone has a different
opinion on that. The size doesn't bother me but it does others.
Always a personal choice, but if it feels right in your hand, I
think you would enjoy this gun very much.

45reloader
May 27, 2006, 04:23 AM
Thanks guys I'm keeping an eye out for one,seeems worth it since I'm a Ruger fan.
Thanks again.

dispatcher
May 27, 2006, 11:44 AM
I have about 2000 rounds through my P90 and have never, ever had any failures with the exception of one primer that would not pop even after three strikes. It is an excellent pistol- shoots more accurately than I do, easy to maintain, and so ugly I've started thinking it's pretty.