PDA

View Full Version : question

44 AMP
May 21, 2006, 12:26 AM
A friend asked me today if it would be possible to replace the hammer in his Ruger Vaquero (.44 Mag) with one from a Ruger Bisley, as he feels the lower hammer spur would aid his "short thumb" in cocking the gun. His gun is the "old model".

I assume it would be possible, if you could get the part, and it would likely be a job for a competent smith to fit it.

How about it smiths out there, is this a "do-able" thing? and how much might it cost, if it is?

Harry Bonar
May 27, 2006, 08:15 PM
Dear Sir:
I definately would consult Ruger!
Harry B.

hoghunting
May 27, 2006, 11:34 PM
I don't think it is possible with out cutting off part of the hammer spur. The Bisley's spur is lower and longer than the regular hammer's. If it is installed on a regular frame, the spur will contact the grip frame before coming to a full cock.

Ruger4570
May 31, 2006, 09:10 AM
I wouldnt think that mechanically they wouldn't be any different. I doubt Ruger logically would want to have 2 completly different sear set ups along with all the other internal areas. I would think that it would work other than what Hoghunting said as the Bisley frame is a lot different than the BH. I am sure there are some gunsniths in here that can give you first hand advice though.

44 AMP
June 1, 2006, 02:56 AM
My friend brought over his gun tonight, along with a Bisley hammer. We checked it out, and it would not work. Not because of the hammer spur, but because the rear of the hammer "body" (where the hammer strut goes) has a much higher profile, and the clearance cut in the grip frame is not large enough. With the Bisley hammer in the revolver frame, the standard grip frame will not mate up.

Gun was reassembled in orginal configuartion, and my friend thanked me for my time. He is now pondering what to do, as he wants a Bisley hammer, but does not want a Bisley grip frame.

I think he will try and modify the hammer (it is the cheaper part), although to me, it looks like enlarging the clearance cut in the grip frame would be easier.

JoeHatley
June 1, 2006, 10:20 AM
www.powercustom.com has what you need.

Good Luck...

Joe