PDA

View Full Version : Mini 14 Scout Scope

dispatcher
May 12, 2006, 11:36 PM
My eyes are getting old and tired.
Any suggestions on mounting a scout scope on my Mini 14? Mine is not a Ranch Rifle- it's stainless steel with the synthetic stock.
I'm not thinking of shooting Prairie Dogs at 600 meters, I want a both eyes open scope or sight good to 100 meters.

smince
May 13, 2006, 08:14 AM
www.ultimak.com

Art Eatman
May 13, 2006, 01:18 PM
A veer off the Scout scope: I always put a Weaver K4 on my Minis, in the conventional location. I used the mount that fits in to the rear-sight mount, with the "load" screw that bears on the receiver ring. Always worked plenty good for me.

Art

Mannlicher
May 20, 2006, 07:10 AM
The scout location looks good, but I went with a Weaver K2.5 on my Ranch Rifle, using the regular Ruger rings. This has worked well for many years.
http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Mannlicher/img1234.jpg

blume357
May 21, 2006, 07:12 AM
with wanting to put a scope on a standard mini-14 is there are going to be way too many choices.... good luck.

dispatcher
May 25, 2006, 08:47 PM
I appreciate the feed back.

gr8gun
May 26, 2006, 05:29 PM
I had a B-Square scope mount on my standard (non-Ranch) Mini-14, but I've always had problems with it loosening and/or shifting. I have a scope positioned in a forward "scout scope" placement on another rifle, and I really like it, so I'm getting the Ultimak rail for my 14.

As a side note, when I was looking for a Scout Scope for my other project, I was not satisfied with the 2x and 4x options Leupold and (I think it was) Burris had, that were specifically called "scout scopes". I went with a Burris 2-7x variable handgun scope, and it's fantastic. Has the best range of eye relief of any that I held up at the store, by far.

FMB42
May 26, 2006, 08:12 PM
Mount was always lose. Mini 14s can be scope eaters, so don't go with a real cheap scope. Some people even run anchored optic airgun scopes on Mini 14/30s.